Heritage Owners Club

Band vs. Home

I hit the songs to make sure I know the intros, breaks, and any special licks.....I don't play each one from start to finish..

Still a lot of playing, you must be more dedicated than me! :icon_scratch:

Still a lot of playing, you must be more dedicated than me! :icon_scratch:

I don't want to forget.... Sometimes I just listen to our rehearsal recordings while I'm doing something else... I know how to play the songs, I just sometimes mix up what song I'm playing...

Ever think of carrying a spare?

Hilarious, Allen! I do now! When I was packing for the gig, I thought, "Take the Coricidin bottle, as a spare.... Nah, I never drop the slide...." Too soon old. Too late smart....

Great list! :icon_salut:

Dynamics are so important! When you think you have the "finished" arrangement for a song I think it helps to record it and listen to it a couple of times to discover if the song is missing out on dynamics. At least a couple of songs I've written for my band over the last year has changed after we listened to them. A couple of changes to our sound and playing really did make the songs better.

My own experience recently is that you can also learn how to add dynamics to a song by performing it solo for a small crowd. I performed solo in a small club for the first time EVER a week ago and found that just softening my attack on my H535, muting or removing some downstrokes in certain sections made a world of difference to the song. When it's just you, your guitar and a bunch of people looking at you you learn really fast! :smile_mini2:

Home vs band:

Things that have changed or Ive become aware of after 3months of playing more at home than out.

Tube rattle and amp hiss.

Pedal power supply noises.

Lack of big fat tight bottom end.

Not so smooth top end.

Annoying mids.

Some of my most natural feeling and sounding od pedals feel and sound less natural.

More concerned about delay timing and repeats.

Intonation issues due to lack of string changes.

Growing pedal board.

Growing Interest in p/up swaps.

Growing interest in little amps.

Growing interest in 80's Ibanez's. Fluro.

No flow in technique development.

No flow in my room as more and more stuff leaves cupboards/shelves/drawers/wardrobes and finds a spot on the floor or desk or stands.

Things that haven't changed:

Still feel like I need a tele and a 335.

Archived