Heritage Owners Club

Last Incoming Ever, Part 4: Sweet 16

MartyGrass

very pretty indeed. My 1990 Sweet 16 has the ebony block on the TP too, but the pickguard is pointier.

Mine is now strung with TI Jazz Bebop 13s and I am super happy (for many reasons, including the acoustic and amplified tone, evenness through the floating PU, touch).

Enjoy. Don't forget to eat and go outside occasionally. You have a real beauty.

I waited 2 years for a single set neck Sweet 16 to appear, and while having finally found one I still had a hard time resisting this one. Happy she's in the family. Can't wait to hear about the Lollar! Congrat's Mark!

file_zps31922e36.jpg

file_zps621c9db6.jpg

file_zpsac091b87.jpg

file_zps00aa8d1a.jpg

file_zps1242550a.jpg

file_zps479eb142.jpg

file_zps61531bd5.jpg

file_zps3f3febda.jpg

file_zpsa2acf64c.jpg

file_zps8142e593.jpg

Congrats and enjoy your Sweet 16. I had one for 12 years and it was one of my favorite guitars ever. Mine had an HRW, but I am sure one of Jason's low winds will be a good match. I have them on my H-535.

Kudos

• 3 weeks later...

I think me next (last?) Heritage will be a Sweet 16. If you ever decide to part with this one, please do let me know! Wonderful looking instrument - congrats on the fine score!

Scott,

Thanks for the Johnny Smith email. That was very thoughtful.

The Sweet 16 I got turned out to be a jewel. They did a great job with with the fit and finish. The luthier who set it up, put the the compensated bridge on it, leveled the frets, and installed the Fralin finished it off into a perfect player.

It's louder than my crossed braced 16s but doesn't sacrifice warmth.

It sounds tap tuned but wasn't as far as I know.

I don't believe the final result of the great sound of this guitar is all by plan. As Ren Wall told me long ago, some guitars just happen to turn out winners by chance.

I plan on keeping it, partly because Johnny Smith picked it out of a batch. I doubt I will ever recover from his passing.

Can't blame you for wanting to keep this one - it sounds truly extraordinary. I think in general it's true that X-bracing delivers better acoustic qualities than parallel braced construction. That said, there are plenty of examples of parallel braced instruments with remarkable tone and volume. Glad to hear yours turned out to be a "winner". Maybe you could play a JS tune or two on it in memory of The Master ;-)

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the Johnny Smith email. That was very thoughtful.

The Sweet 16 I got turned out to be a jewel. They did a great job with with the fit and finish. The luthier who set it up, put the the compensated bridge on it, leveled the frets, and installed the Fralin finished it off into a perfect player.

It's louder than my crossed braced 16s but doesn't sacrifice warmth.

It sounds tap tuned but wasn't as far as I know.

I don't believe the final result of the great sound of this guitar is all by plan. As Ren Wall told me long ago, some guitars just happen to turn out winners by chance.

I plan on keeping it, partly because Johnny Smith picked it out of a batch. I doubt I will ever recover from his passing.

JS will be missed...

file_zps39142540.jpg

Mister Smith had all the facets of music covered. One of my all time favorites for sure. I met him at Namm and was able to get a snap shot together with him. Needless to say I was beside myself.

Mark, your 16 is old school Heritage stunning! Congrats. I just sold mine to a great friend.

JS will be missed...

file_zps39142540.jpg

Wow - great photo! That's the coolest room ever - you have to sign a dollar bill for your first drink, then the rest are on the house ;-) Some really amazing signatures are on dollar bills pinned to his ceiling. I wonder what his family will do with those...

Archived