Heritage Owners Club

NWD

At PSP, I had the opportunity to jump on a Budda Bud-Wah. I've read about how superior they are in comparison to many wah's, such as Vox and Dunlop. That is hard to judge until you try it yourself. Well, after PSP, I decided it was a great sounding wah pedal with a great sweep range without the cutouts in the heel or toe positions. I'm not one to buy pedals new, so for the moment at the very least, I'm going to try out this used Bud-Wah and see if its that much better than my Dunlop GCB95F Classic. I hope it is! If its a little worn or scratchy pots, I'll return it and bite the bullet on a new one. Hopefully, I won't have to.

I have a budda wha, a crybaby wha, and a jimi hendrix wha

I think they are all made by the same company, they look identical inside

You had my really curious, so I opened it up last night. Thankfully. They aren't the same, but the circuit design is close. What is noticeably different is the inductor. Much larger then any I've ever seen. The output jack was stereo. The only hard part was the DC input jack in recessed too far. I need to figure that one out.

The Budda Wah is a good wah to be sure - I used to own one and liked it a lot. The Teese Picture Wah edged it out a little, but not by much. Funny wah story.

A few years back (probably 12 or 13 actually) I was going back and forth between three wahs: Modded Vox, Budda Wah and Teese picture. I would plug one in, play a little, plug another in play a litte, etc. - you get the picture. My then roughly 4 year old son was in the room with me. Everytime I plugged the Picture Wah in and started playing he started making wah wah faces - no joke! He has good ears.

You had my really curious, so I opened it up last night. Thankfully. They aren't the same, but the circuit design is close. What is noticeably different is the inductor. Much larger then any I've ever seen. The output jack was stereo. The only hard part was the DC input jack in recessed too far. I need to figure that one out.

The circuit that makes the wah work is fairly simple as far as effects pedals go, a few component values changed can make a huge difference in the sound. The best wahs as a rule all have the same layout, but the builders have experiment with slightly different values here and there to make the wah sound the way they think it should. The Crybaby circuit would sound better if they used better quality components.

There is a transistor based wah circuit,( Colorsound) which is a different design and doesn't use an inductor, it seems to sound more like a tone pot to me and less like a voice, and I think that some of the Morley wah's had a different design and even an optical system instead of a pot, but I've never used one or opened one up. Other than those, Teese, Dunlop, Wilson and just about any other maker you can think of use basically the same circuit topology, but tuned slightly different.

One more thing, the inductors, ( really nothing but a coil of thin wire) which are usually credited with having all the mojo, (halo, Fasel) are usually all the same as far as a meter goes, or at least really close, but they all have there own response and character.

Archived