Heritage Owners Club

Hollow, semi, solid, ?

big bob

As of late I have been drifting ever so slowly towards bigger and well bigger. That is to say that for the last few months I've been pulling out the 555 and 575 more and more. It was to the point where that was all I played with the band. Then tragedy struck! Sunday night while playing rocky mountain way I blew out the g string on the 575. There I was in the middle of rehearsal with a broken g string and a big smile. Oh well life goes on, I ditch the 575 and snatched up the 555 just in time for the solo. Being the lethargic homebody I am I have not replaced the string. So tonight instead of putting new strings on the 575 I decided to pick a new backup. Then a thought occurred to me. As long as I'm resetting my guitar set up I might as well re vamp my amp settings and pedals. The first step in the process was to turn all the dials to 0, then several hours and 7 guitars later I've got a great new surf inspired sound.

My band is playing a private party on Sat night. At this point the contenders are the 357, the 555, and the stat dlx. I'd like to take the 575, but even if I put new strings on it tomorrow I'm sure they won't be stretched out to my satisfaction by Saturday. I play with a heavy hand and don't like retuning between songs. I will only be taking two, maybe both will be solid body's maybe not.

uh ........ uh ................ maybe the strings are different down in Florida. But when I restring I sorta stretch them out a bit. Actually quite a bit. Rarely do they go back out of tune, other than the normal bit from use and abuse. :dontknow:

uh ........ uh ................ maybe the strings are different down in Florida. But when I restring I sorta stretch them out a bit. Actually quite a bit. Rarely do they go back out of tune, other than the normal bit from use and abuse. :dontknow:

Ok you got me! I'm just that lazy.

Stretch out the 575. There's nothing like banging away a Walsh jamboree with a big, old hollow girl on your shoulder! Have at thee!!!

Guest HRB853370

Bob, hope the show goes well...and i'm into the chillin out lazy thing too--It's just so easy at the end of a hot summer in the south.

I agree with ya, yer lazy ha ha ha

I hate it when my I blow out my G string!

I ain't goin there..but when playing with a heavy band, a solid body is always my weapon of choice

I do a little trick... Once I have the guitar strung up and tuned to pitch, I'll lift the string up to the point the headstock will lift off the table. Then I'll kind of bounce it a few times. I'll put it back down, tune it to pitch. I'll do this two or three times per each string depending on if the string stays in tune after doing this. When I'm done, I won't have a tuning issue again, usually for weeks at a time or until I snap or replace the strings.

I do a little trick... Once I have the guitar strung up and tuned to pitch, I'll lift the string up to the point the headstock will lift off the table. Then I'll kind of bounce it a few times. I'll put it back down, tune it to pitch. I'll do this two or three times per each string depending on if the string stays in tune after doing this. When I'm done, I won't have a tuning issue again, usually for weeks at a time or until I snap or replace the strings.

I do the same thing! I lift up and bounce slightly from the twelfth fret on each string. Repeat 5 times on each string after the retune and every guitar I own stays that way! Small adjustments only. =)

Found this out when I brought my first guitar to a tech complaining I needed new tuning keys, he said they were fine and taught me this technique. Been using it since.

I'm just packing up, sound check at 4:00

And the winners are

#1- 555

#2- 170 triple minis

Playing them through the Carr slant 6v, into 2x12 loaded with 2 webber fane copy's.

Pedals are a deluxe memory man, a dementer fat boost/overdrive, and the soldano supercharger GTO that Steiner sold me.

Should be a fun show!

Archived