Heritage Owners Club

So... What would you have liked Heritage to introduce...

cosmikdebriis

A three pickup P-90 small body reverse Firebird with a trapeze tailpiece.

i second that, left-hand of course

and as much as I despise the thought go for some Relic/aged guitars!

you are joking, right kuz?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2cents...

Limited run of SG / Firebird Reverse / V or Explorers

Rework the Prospect to be more like the 356-336 - 339s (but better)

Some with Buckers (Seths & Jon's too) some with P90 some with P-rails...

Stick to what you do best..

See what sells best. Any new model would need to be revolutionary. thus the "hire a designer" or "have a design a new Heritage contest"

i wonder if they dont try the SG, Firebird or V because of threats from "Gibscam" to sue?

On that basis they're already in BIG trouble ;D

As I recall the original lawsuit (well... nearly lawsuit) was focused on the headstock as being a trademark. ??? Well... H certainly have that covered :wink:

On the other hand, winning a legal battle these days seems to depend entirely on how much money you are prepared to spend and I think we'd all agree Henry has plenty more than Heritage (who can't even afford a proper web site) :-X

On the other hand wouldn't Gibbon suing H be analogous to suing your parents because they look a bit like you ;D

I've never ask Lane about how Gibson allowed (I can't think of a better word for it, but I want there to be a better word for it!) Heritage to exist at all. It would never be allowed to happen now based on actions Gibson has taken elsewhere.

The Studebaker Avanti was built for years by former employees after the demise of Studebaker, but letting former employees compete directly against you just because you moved to a larger location seems incredible. Was it because Gibson considers themselves a guitar juggernaut and Heritage was (and is) of no consequence to them? Just wondering.

Was it because Gibson considers themselves a guitar juggernaut and Heritage was (and is) of no consequence to them? Just wondering.

It's true to say that back in the 70's and the original "lawsuit" with Ibanez (parent company).Greco in Japan were largely ignored as, despite producing the very best and most accurate Gibbon copies at the time, didn't export so were not a major threat.

I would guess though that modern business is far more ruthless in it's approach.

They don't need to afford it. Per Ren, he has more offers of "new web site in exchange for a new guitar" than he can shake a stick at. I think the jinky web site is just not a priority for them.

Pity though...

I'm not exactly sure I'd be wanting "Jinky" either. Up to date would be nice though :wink:

I'd like them to do a Korina V and Explorer. Other companys are using these shapes, like Hamer, and are making some good guitars. Heritage could use the traditional headstock shape, as others do, and cut the logo in MOP. And of course, the Wilshire/Crestwood in my previous photo.

i second that, left-hand of course

you are joking, right kuz?

Relic'd guitars are the "Floyd Rose" craze of today. I hate relic'd guitars- I think it leads to "well we don't need to be perfect on that one, we are going to beat it to hell anyhow".

My point is instead of making newer designs (I do love the 110 though) why not come out with an aged 150.

Imagine the marketing message "A true vintage/aged guitar from the guys who made the original vintage guitars"

You can't deny they would sell.  Just not for me.

Or you could call the current 150....

150 VOS or REISSUE or HR7-HR8 -HR9-HR0 and charge more $$$ with VOS Pickups made with the original winding machines (ThroBak) made in KZoo by the same hands....  However....

I like the one I got just fine, it's already perfect.

May I point out they did have a revolutionary "new" model it's the Millie. The only semi solid made AFAICT. I got one but how many people know about that outside of this forum?

May I point out they did have a revolutionary "new" model it's the Millie. The only semi solid made AFAICT. I got one but how many people know about that outside of this forum?  

It's about the only thing that IS on the web site... ;D

And nearly nine years later it's still a Hot New Model...  :-X

Gibson got its rear end handed to it in the PRS lawsuit on appeal, so I suspect that may have cooled its ardor for "innovation through litigation."  

My understanding is that the headstock design is the only part of a guitar that clearly qualifies for protection under trademark law--it's the part of a guitar most clearly identified with one particular company over another.  Gibson tried to expand this area of the law by suing PRS over the Singlecut based on body design and lost because there's little chance that a potential buyer would confuse a PRS Singlecut for a Les Paul.  Heritage's designs are closer in style to Gibsons, obviously, but I think there's enough difference to eliminate the potential for customer confusion or for "dilution" of the Gibson brand.  You have to remember that the Japanese "lawsuit" Les Pauls were exact replicas, even to point of copying the Gibson logo script on the Grecos.

Another factor making Gibson (or Fender) legal victories less likely is that they have effectively "sat on their rights" for 50 years by not attempting to protect their body designs.  You can't suddenly decide that you're going to get serious about protecting things like guitar body designs when you've let other companies use them for decades.  At that point, you don't really have a distinctive claim over it anymore.

Had Gibson beaten PRS in court, I think a lawsuit against Heritage would have been rather likely.  Thank goodness for the wiser heads on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, eh?

Relic'd guitars are the "Floyd Rose" craze of today. I hate relic'd guitars- I think it leads to "well we don't need to be perfect on that one, we are going to beat it to hell anyhow".

I must object.  A Floyd Rose is a very useful item for many of us.  A relic job is just a really bad guitar finish.  :)

I must object.  A Floyd Rose is a very useful item for many of us.  A relic job is just a really bad guitar finish.  :)

I agree, I would love a H150 or H157 with a good Floyd Rose tremolo. As it stands now, Im searching for a basket case H147-H157 to ship to my tech to be hollowed out!! If you have a 147,150 or 157 that needs new paint, electronics and hardware....send it my way.

Well I would LOVE to see them make a Byrdland guitar, with the short scale. They make a lot of nice guitars that LOOK close to a Byrdland but I want a Heritage short scale carved top and back guitar, with the thinner body and the nicely flamed maple sides, back AND neck.

I want a Heritage Byrdland is what I want. You think I could special order it ??

Big

Well I would LOVE to see them make a Byrdland guitar, with the short scale. They make a lot of nice guitars that LOOK close to a Byrdland but I want a Heritage short scale carved top and back guitar, with the thinner body and the nicely flamed maple sides, back AND neck.

I want a Heritage Byrdland is what I want. You think I could special order it ??

Big

i once asked if they would build me a short scale semi hollow...i was quickly told no

i once asked if they would build me a short scale semi hollow...i was quickly told no

Interesting though because if you do a search on GBASE for BYRDLAND you get a Heritage custom made for Jay with Lollars and a two tone finish (blonde top and stained sides and back). VERY pricey though...

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1823310

Interesting though because if you do a search on GBASE for BYRDLAND you get a Heritage custom made for Jay with Lollars and a two tone finish (blonde top and stained sides and back). VERY pricey though...

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1823310

WOLFE HAS A GREAT SELECTION...YOU WOULD THINK BECAUSE OF THEIR VOLUME, THEIR PRICES WOULD BE A LITTLE BETTER.  I CALLED ON A USED H 157 THE OTHER DAY AND THEY WANTED $1900 USED.  IT WAS MINTY, BUT USED

Archived