Heritage Owners Club

So... What would you have liked Heritage to introduce...

cosmikdebriis

Leading on from a couple of recent threads in which a New Heritage model has been getting a rather luke warm reception...

What would you like H to  introduce (if any)?

I'd like an SG with a long slim neck... Possibly walnut body, Ebony Fretboard. Optional Bigsby. Pair SD P-Rails... 8)

As someone pointed out, after my photoshop impression, the Heritage headstock really suits the SG shape :afro:

(By the way, I know we've been here before but recent events have bought the issue back to the fore) :wink:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been kinda thinking of 'what if Heritage did a Tele-type model'...  mostly because I like Teles so much and they compliment a 535 guit so well.

Not sure it makes a lot of sense for this type from Heritage since a)this style seems to be saturated thru the market and even Fender makes a gazillion different models, b)it doesn't follow the 'heritage' story line since it's the wrong 'parent' company, and c)previous single coil models haven't done as well as their 'bread and butter' lp/semi/jazz guits are doing... along with different wood/tooling setup, etc.

Why do it?... Heritage's seem to do well in jazz and 'Nashville' type music so a Tele would seem to fit right in, fairly simple guits to build as contrasted to the craftsmanship that goes into their current models...  and again, they just compliment the 535s so.  Marketing points?... make 'em nice and light, make the maple necks nice/thick/worn in feel, pickup selections of both 'standard' and P90s, those great Heritage finishes.  Price 'em in the mid teens against the custom shop models.

I'd buy one, heck probably 2 (one red, one blond) as soon as they came off the line just 'cause I'd like to have my gig guits all saying Heritage   8)

I've been kinda thinking of 'what if Heritage did a Tele-type model'...  mostly because I like Teles so much and they compliment a 535 guit so well.

Wasn't the Blue Whale sort of Tele-ish?  :angel:

i really like the 110....that is what Heritage has needed to do for about the last 14 yrs!!!

I'd like to see more on the 110! It was a runner for my next order. But can't find enough info about it. Did I mention that?  :wink:

Neckthrough 110 (which is really a Stat upper combined with a 150 bottom ) or a neckthrough Stat (carved top).  

Actually I would really really appreciate something along the lines of a reverse Firebird (carved top?)

The heavier, the better

Phat Cats or APH1s

Stop tailpiece with fine tuners.

No array of mini-toggles.  They are functional but diminish classy styling.  Would be a cleaner replacement using push/pull switches on the pots

Gasp... oh my eyes.  Bad man, bad man, Kenny!   I HOPE that the blue whale wasn't aiming at tele-land.  Too liberal of an interpretation for me.  No no - a REAL Tele, with a big 'ol maple neck (one piece without a rosewood top), big fat frets...   heavy on the twang, man.

Gasp... oh my eyes.  Bad man, bad man, Kenny!   I HOPE that the blue whale wasn't aiming at tele-land.  Too liberal of an interpretation for me.  No no - a REAL Tele, with a big 'ol maple neck (one piece without a rosewood top), big fat frets...   heavy on the twang, man.

Huh?? It certainly nailed the BIG part.  ................. >:D

I would love a nice Flying V.  Old school.  I would like the option of P90's or Humbuckers.  I wouldn't even mind the headstock they have now.  I think it would look kinda cool.  The reason I like them is because it looks cool when blues players like Albert King played them.  I also like the rock/metal aspect of them.  They look cool in different genres of music. 

It's hard for me to say what I'd want Heritage to introduce.  My 157 and 555 basically do everything I'd want from a Heritage, and my other guitars are all metal-oriented superstrats that are probably outside the scope of what Heritage wants to make.

One possibility is to take the H-110 and maybe make it sleeker or more aggressive with rounded body sides and 24 frets.  Not so much a metal-oriented guitar as one aimed at harder-edged fusion players.

Some of these one-offs are pretty cool ... as one offs. But are they something the general public would buy? In quantities enough to justify tooling up for them? That should be the driving force behind what we'd like the boys to introduce. My opine, any way.

Guys look at Fender- they sell the same Strat/Tele models and are thriving!

I don't see it necessary to waste time & money reinventing the wheel.

They took the 110 to NAMM with look warm results.

The "big can opener" or Whale" got no interest.

I say stick to your current line up and add some exotic woods and pickups (Lollar was a great start, Thobak's new bindings are interesting) and as much as I despise the thought go for some Relic/aged guitars!

Wasn't the Blue Whale sort of Tele-ish?  :angel:

I'd like to see more on the 110! It was a runner for my next order. But can't find enough info about it. Did I mention that?  :wink:

Yep... I last heard from Jay on June 18 that more info would be coming on the 110. The heritage website

is static... no help there. If the specs are pretty much the same as a 150 just say so. A few more pictures

and a photo of the neck joint from the back is all I ask. I'd like to know more before I pull the trigger,

which I'd like to do in the next six months or so. You know, while I'm still alive. I'm confident that if Heritage

supplied the dealers with any info it would be readily available.

Some of these one-offs are pretty cool ... as one offs. But are they something the general public would buy? In quantities enough to justify tooling up for them? That should be the driving force behind what we'd like the boys to introduce. My opine, any way.

Certainly very fair comment... I could imagine some would sell in bulk and others in very limited quantities. However one advantage Heritage have is their ability NOT to mass produce. Also, looking at may of Heritages models past, present and including the one that's sparked off this debate. Bulk sales doesn't appear to be the main reason for producing guitars :wink:

This leads me on to (yet) another thread... :P

Point well taken. But still what new breakthrough design have they had in 50 years???!!

I would be remiss not to mention the development of the yangyue.  It's made by stretching the hind-end of a pig over the top of a barrel, and you play it with your teeth.  ;D

Fender got where they are by entering the market with a product, with which there was a limited number of competitors in the field at their price point.  Not many others producing electrics at that point in time and they could push them out the door relatively cheaply. 

Whereas today, Heritage has many competitors already cloning the original designs we have seen to date.  Heritage has a niche in hollow bodies, but the demand for hollow bodies appears to be slowly diminishing, in general.  Where does that leave Heritage?  I recognize the collection of enthusiast here, but also see a need to expand.  I am not speaking of a plethora of new designs. just a few.

Fender has met the 4 P's of marketing and have expanded their position by buying up competitors, and their competitor's designs.

If you google, you will find that Fender is currently pursuing a course to enforce their patent rights on the Strat and Tele, since everyone and their brother is using the design and name while eroding what Fender views as its property.  Fender is following Gibson's example, where the boys down south began enforcing design rights to the LP a few years ago.

Point is, Heritage needs a new unique design that is a creative piece of art.  Curves, curves, curves.  Natural beauty.  Tone.  Price point.  They need to be able to produce it within their cost structure and manufacturing constraints.  We lust for things that please the eyes and ears, and more particularly, if they are new to us.

No offense by all this intended to you.  You are entitled to your views and I recognize they may not always be the same as mine.  I am more of a carved solid body type of guy.

Certainly very fair comment... I could imagine some would sell in bulk and others in very limited quantities. However one advantage Heritage have is their ability NOT to mass produce. Also, looking at may of Heritages models past, present and including the one that's sparked off this debate. Bulk sales doesn't appear to be the main reason for producing guitars :wink:

Certainly Heritage doesn't go for "bulk sales" or "mass produce" anything. Not at 12k per year. However, I would think it less than prudent in a business sense to introduce any guitar model that isn't going to have enough sales appeal to justify the R&D, the mock-ups, the protos and the tooling to produce enough of them to see a decent ROI. On one-offs you can charge enough to justify the time involved. But in the regular production line you want something that is going to move. Hence my comment that this thread should narrow it's focus to something viable for them to "introduce".

IMHO of course, and taking in to consideration I'm biased... :wink:

I'd say the SG would have greatest mass appeal followed perhaps by a Firebird or Flying V. I'd leave the "Strats" to Fender/Ibanez etc.

Am I right in thinking Heritage have never produced an SG? Hard to believe really :rolleyes: I wonder what percentage of Gibbons market they make up?

I think Heritage should contract with a design artist. Someone legitimate who gets what they are all about. The auto industry has used them very successfully (Ford Mustang); the Viet Nam Memorial is the product of a professional designer. Offering P-90's on a guitar is certainly not very ground-breaking. Heck, they can offer ANY pickup type and configuration on any model they make.

The internet is Heritage's biggest marketing asset. They should see what Carvin is doing. It would be great to be able to go to Heritage.com and select a model, woods, pickups. hardware, bindings, inlays, finish, fret wire,  nut, etc. Then just pick a dealer and get a quote and a time frame.

If I was CEO at Heritage, I would not want to continue a legacy of Gibson designs.

And lastly, I'd like to see some new options for fingerboard inlays. I love my 555. It would be great to be able to order one with a choice from a dozen different inlay themes.

Archived