Heritage Owners Club

Alessandro hand wired new Fender amps

Vanschoyck

Alessandro is very well respected for high end quality. I just bought a used one of their jazz oriented head that will arrive next week. Impeccable reputation for components, aesthetics and attention to detail.

Alessandro is very well respected for high end quality. I just bought a used one of their jazz oriented head that will arrive next week. Impeccable reputation for components, aesthetics and attention to detail.

Would you consider updating when you've had a chance to play it?

Seems many boutique makers offer extensive rebuilds, each with different strategies. I had Fuchs rebuild my old Musicman 100RD as an ODS. He used the existing iron, but trashes just about everything else and rebuilds with cb's custom designed for particular mods. I had Fargen "hot mod," as he labels it, a DRRI, and he changes the transformers and many components, but works from the existing circuit boards. Looks like Alessandro keeps the original iron, but trashes the boards and rewires pt to pt.

Whether or not rebuilding is a good value is, I guess, a different issue. I didn't use my old Musicman, because it sounded sterile at the volumes we play at these days with its s.s. pre-amp. I was pretty attached to it --it was my main amp in my teen/twen gigging days, so, the mod made sense. The DRRI I'd picked up cheap but it had problems and needed extensive servicing. I'd heard a Fargen mod and really liked it, so, I thought, if I've got to pay someone to go into it, why not try to maximize its potential?

Looks like the Alessandro Princeton mod costs more than I paid used for a Headstrong's Lil King, a "Princeton with a 12."

• 2 weeks later...

I called. 5 year warranty as well. In looking to try one of these, I also came across another custom amp for 1400.00 that looks to be just as good. This was a vintage 15 watt jazz amp from sound island in seattle. I put up another post on this asking if anyone had one. I will be demo'ing in a couple of weeks, and hope to do a comparison with the allesandro amp as well...but likely too much mula for me.

Would you consider updating when you've had a chance to play it?

Well, i've had it for a couple of days and all i can say is it is one very well made amp. almost dead quiet. very high caliber components and attention to detail. i''m very impressed so far.

sounds amazing.

I've used Alessandro pots in my guitars, and many of my customer's . They get a little jumpy at first because of their price. Once they play their guitar, they understand the cost. Never be afraid to buy anything with his name on it.

I'll play the devils advocate here. I believe the newer Fender transformers are made in China. If it's my money, I would get a custom build with Magnetic Components Corp "Classic Tone" transformers. I'll bet the price would be comparable and perhaps less.

Have you seen the Alessandro Fender Vibrolux Reverb?!

That is the one I'd go after if in the amp market.

Yeah, that one has the Classic Tone transformers. These are the best replacement tranny's for Fender amps. I've installed two of their output transformers in different customers' blackface Bandmasters. I then compared both amps to my original Bandmaster and they sounded identical. Their prices are lower than most of their competitors. Their product is as good or better than most.

Archived