Heritage Owners Club

Heritage "Custom Shop"

cosmikdebriis

Another unofficial HFG (Heritage Focus Group) thread....

It occurs to me that Gibbon use the term "Custom Shop" to denote a premium quality product as distinct from it's more common mass produced guitars.

So should Heritage, who could quite rightly lay claim to the same title, use it for much the same reasons. ???

Perhaps have a custom shop logo on the truss rod cover 8)

Seems to me they are  "Gibson's custom shop."  Gibson just isn't aware of that fact!  I don't think Ren and Marv and Jim have much use for that kind of label.  Q.E.D., anybody can grind that into a truss rod cover.  What's it mean?  Just let the guitar speak for itself...and Heritages do, don't they?

My 535 has a Custom Shop label, I'm not sure exactly why though .....

width=585 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/535label.jpg[/img]

Possibly because the finish, (Golden Amber) is not a standard finish ?, well it's not listed on the Heritage site

http://www.heritageguitar.com/products/finishes.htm

Ooops!  Open mouth; insert foot!

Another unofficial HFG (Heritage Focus Group) thread....

It occurs to me that Gibbon use the term "Custom Shop" to denote a premium quality product as distinct from it's more common mass produced guitars.

So should Heritage, who could quite rightly lay claim to the same title, use it for much the same reasons. ???

Perhaps have a custom shop logo on the truss rod cover 8)

Look inside the access plate on the H157 I sold you. It says Heritage Custom Shop.

Part of the query is whether to use the terms for marketing purposes, to increase the value of the brand.

would a potential Gibbon buyer take notice of the moniker? and perhaps be persuaded buy the option of a custom shop guitar for a lot less money.

Just grabbing their attention in that way may be enough to get them to take notice of the brand, possibly look into what's on offer, and a percentage may well choose a Heritage after comparison?

What I'm getting at here is the term has a value of its own like "deluxe" or "limited edition"

Imagine it this way... You're a budding young musician in your local guitar store and there on the wall are several Gibbons, Fenders, Heritages etc... Would you be more inclined for a second glance at the Heritage (who perhaps you've never heard of), if it had "custom Shop" on the headstock?

I'm sure we'd all agree, if you can get someone to pick one up and play it, they're generally impressed.

On the other hand, if every guitar is a "custom shop" does it de value the brand?

I think the guitars pretty much sell themselves for anyone who gets a chance to play them.

The problem with using "custom shop" is that most of Heritage's guitars are not custom orders or only have minor variations from standard features.  Also, does Heritage really want to encourage more customers to order custom specs?  That certainly wouldn't help them ramp up their production any.

I asked Ren many moons ago about whether they used the Custom Shop stickers on all the guitars. He said "Certainly not". Didn't say anything else, just that.  ???

I think the guitars pretty much sell themselves for anyone who gets a chance to play them.

The problem with using "custom shop" is that most of Heritage's guitars are not custom orders or only have minor variations from standard features.  Also, does Heritage really want to encourage more customers to order custom specs?  That certainly wouldn't help them ramp up their production any.

Talked to Marv today about the guitars. He encouraed me to offer custom specs. "Whatever you want. Just write it down and let us know. We'll get as close to that as we possibly can."

Exactly... It's hidden away  ???
Oh, you're wanting like a stamp on the back of the headstock, ala Gibxxx, that says CS? Or something to that effect? Just one more thing for them to remember to do.  ;D

Perhaps the reason we see "custom shop" on so many of them is that Jay Wolfe has been responsible for selling such a large percentage of their guitars. His were always special ordered as far as the hardware and such, so technically, most all of his guitars were custom to some extent, weren't they?

I've got 3 with that sticker, but they were all Wolfe guitars (well, one was truly custom, as I special-ordered it myself).

Sound reasonable?

rooster.

I think that in a way the whole of the Heritage production is Custom Shop, albeit definitely not in the "one off order" kinda way, but in terms of quality and attention to details they certainly are.

Wikipedia states that Heritage can only truly be compared to the Gibson Custom Shop and PRS Private Stock guitars and, after havin' played some of those guitars, I have to agree.

I had the chance to play various Custom Shop Les Paul's and in particular a '59 Reissue or somethin' specifically made for a "name" English guitar player who, apart from his usual gig, does also quite a lot of session work; he's decided to sell that particular guitar, not because of the quality, but I think he just thinks he has way too many, he keeps gettin' some all the time, and he's partin' with few guitars to fund the buildin' of a rear extension to his house(!!!!!!!!) :-X

I think his "hunger and strife" (that's what they call their wife's over in England, even "Rock Star's" when they're Londoner's...!) also has somethin' to do with it...>:D

Anyway, the guy's a top pro and that guitar Gibson made for him is really somethin'; I nearly bought it, but then I bought my H150 instead, straight from the Texas Guitar Show.

Ya know what? I'd do the same thing again, no questions asked! :wink:

Same thing with PRS Private Stock...

We're all Heritage lovers here and sometimes it feels like we're preachin' to the converted, but I strongly believe that any guitar comin' out of Parson Street can more than hold its own with just about anythin', Custom Shop or not.

When it comes to the Custom Shop thing I don't think Heritage needs to do it, as it's been overdone by just about everybody else.

Heck, even Fender has a line they call "Custom Shop designed"; I mean, what the heck does that mean? Either a guitar is C.S. or it isn't! I smell a marketin rat...

Further, I thought Leo Fender designed the Stratocaster, but I must have been misinformed... >:D

I think that if Heritage ever started a so called C.S. it would somehow cheapen them and put 'em alongside everybody else, which they're definitely not.

I think they're not the only company capable of puttin' out great guitar's (I have a particular Les Paul which is nothin' short of sublime! :P), but I also think they occupy a well defined niche, a niche in which at the moment I can't see them sharin' with anybody else, Custom Shop or not. 8)

I think that in a way the whole of the Heritage production is Custom Shop, albeit definitely not in the "one off order" kinda way, but in terms of quality and attention to details they certainly are.

Wikipedia states that Heritage can only truly be compared to the Gibson Custom Shop and PRS Private Stock guitars and, after havin' played some of those guitars, I have to agree.

I had the chance to play various Custom Shop Les Paul's and in particular a '59 Reissue or somethin' specifically made for a "name" English guitar player who, apart from his usual gig, does also quite a lot of session work; he's decided to sell that particular guitar, not because of the quality, but I think he just thinks he has way too many, he keeps gettin' some all the time, and he's partin' with few guitars to fund the buildin' of a rear extension to his house(!!!!!!!!) :-X

I think his "hunger and strife" (that's what they call their wife's over in England, even "Rock Star's" when they're Londoner's...!) also has somethin' to do with it...>:D

Anyway, the guy's a top pro and that guitar Gibson made for him is really somethin'; I nearly bought it, but then I bought my H150 instead, straight from the Texas Guitar Show.

Ya know what? I'd do the same thing again, no questions asked! :wink:

Same thing with PRS Private Stock...

We're all Heritage lovers here and sometimes it feels like we're preachin' to the converted, but I strongly believe that any guitar comin' out of Parson Street can more than hold its own with just about anythin', Custom Shop or not.

When it comes to the Custom Shop thing I don't think Heritage needs to do it, as it's been overdone by just about everybody else.

Heck, even Fender has a line they call "Custom Shop designed"; I mean, what the heck does that mean? Either a guitar is C.S. or it isn't! I smell a marketin rat...

Further, I thought Leo Fender designed the Stratocaster, but I must have been misinformed... >:D

I think that if Heritage ever started a so called C.S. it would somehow cheapen them and put 'em alongside everybody else, which they're definitely not.

I think they're not the only company capable of puttin' out great guitar's (I have a particular Les Paul which is nothin' short of sublime! :P), but I also think they occupy a well defined niche, a niche in which at the moment I can't see them sharin' with anybody else, Custom Shop or not. 8)

Preach on LP,

I'm with you but I'm surprised that some others don't feel the same way on a "Heritage" site?!!?

(See Gibby or Heritage thread)

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,2505.0.html

Here's my 2 Kunas:

I don't care either way - it makes no difference in the tone or playability, or even the craftmanship-in my opinion, which is what's important to me.

Do I get a discount on my next heritage if I tell them to skip the custom shop sticker application?

Sorry...  ;D

Archived