Heritage Owners Club

Top Ten List: Best Bedroom/Home Studio Amps

tsp17

Some of you guys using tube amps as "bedroom" amps must have a more understanding spouse than I have, or more self discipline on the volume knob. I have small tube amps, but, to me, they are all pretty loud, or need to be, to sound as good as they can. When I want to play without waking the family, I turn to any of these, all with headphone outs. The Fender Mustangs and the Yamaha THR5 also have external speakers, and can get much louder than you may think. In fact, as some of us were jamming on the Mustang I out in the Country Inn parking lot 2 PSPs ago, Big Bob kept coming over to turn it down so we didn't get into trouble!

Mustang I

100_0979_zps13310e06.jpg

Line 6 POD HD300; I had the 500. Too much of a learning curve to my limited attention span. Sold it, bought this some time later. Works for me, fantastic sounds on the cheap.

100_0980_zpsbca779fc.jpg

Mustang III. 12 inch speaker, 100 watts. Sounds great loud or quiet. Can be had used for $200 or less.

100_0990_zpsa3dd3d70.jpg

Line 6 Floor Pod. $49 or so at GC before I decided to get back into the HD series. The good news/bad news on these earlier generation units, like this and the Digitechs posted next, is they are a great deal used, but as time goes by, they become more and more outdated/obsolete, and worth next to nothing, Therefore, I'm developing quite a collection, haha.

100_0985_zps804b31a1.jpg

Digitech GNX1 and RP250. MartyGrass sold me BOTH of these for like $35....Nuts!!

100_0988_zpsb290bebc.jpg

Finally, a Yamaha THR5, 5 watt amp that is smaller than a loaf of bread. They are pretty cool, but obviously quite limited on the low end of things. Another cheapie.

100_0983_zps6d9f1474.jpg

Schundog.. Do they still make that little Yamaha amp? That Looks pretty cool..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370

My Peavey Express 112 transtube would easily compete against any small tube amp. I can get clean tones at low volume and simulated amp sag too at low volumes. Peavey nailed it with that amp and yes, it is solid state and under $200.

Carr Mercury:

• Class "A"
  • Single-ended fixed bias EL-34 output stage
  • Single channel: bass, treble, reverb
  • 3-position boost switch
  • Treble cut switch
  • Built in 4 position attenuator (8, 2, 1/2, 1/10 watt)

ovmcdv4bknr3glrcbxdn.jpg

And, believe it or not, The Peavey Vypyr--especially since it has a headphone output:

03584290_9266.jpg

For a bedroom amp, I'd nominate the Little Lanilei. It's a little tube-driven amp with output ranging from1/4 to 33 watts through a pretty cool custom built 6 1/2" speaker or through output jacks that can run up two 4X12 if need be at stage volumes.

little-lanilei-3350lt-250.jpg

+1 on the Little Lanilei. Can be played at mouse fart volume without headphones and you can get your little Warren Haynes Jones without waking anyone, and can push a 4-12 Marshall stack to earbleed. That said, Jeff is absolutely right. It's effective as a practice tool, and as an alternative to nothing....but mostly it makes you want to turn it up and let it rip. I have one with an extension cab, I set it 6 feet apart and keep it low, gives a nice full plexi-ish sound at low volume.

That's them on the Peavey 212 (Scorpions, the other ext. cab I plug it into. You can hear it in Peoria when I do.

amps.jpg

Guest HRB853370

So, after reading this thread I've learned that tube amps are loud, no matter how small and that if I want TV volume the I need solid state / digital

Not necessarily. But a 5 watt tube amp will be louder than a 5 watt solid state amp.

So, after reading this thread I've learned that tube amps are loud, no matter how small and that if I want TV volume the I need solid state / digital

If you have a decent laptop, check out Guitar Rig 5. Cheaper than an amp, as versatile as an Axe-FX.

No. All u need do is turn the volume down. Then when wifey is out, blast that little suckah and get good tube distortion! :headbang:

Not with the Little Lanilei. It's a tube amp that you can get clean or saturated distortion from it at low volumes. That means you can dial in full distortion and still talk over the sound in a normal tone of voice. From the family's perspective, it would be like having a TV on. I've used it in Hotel rooms without any problem.

Not with the Little Lanilei. It's a tube amp that you can get clean or saturated distortion from it at low volumes. That means you can dial in full distortion and still talk over the sound in a normal tone of voice. From the family's perspective, it would be like having a TV on. I've used it in Hotel rooms without any problem.

actually, the same is true of the Vox AC4TV. Goes down to 1 watt.

I have a bit of a thing going for Jackson Amp Works Scarlett 30.

Basically a AC30 top boost circuit that goes from 1/8 - 30watts.

It has a fx loop so verb and delay works well with it. That its an amp designed around a P&W guys specs it makes sense.

The ported 112 cab sounds great playing quiet or loud. Plenty of bottom end.

Guest HRB853370

Are these made in Hawaii??

I have a bit of a thing going for Jackson Amp Works Scarlett 30.

Basically a AC30 top boost circuit that goes from 1/8 - 30watts.

It has a fx loop so verb and delay works well with it. That its an amp designed around a P&W guys specs it makes sense.

The ported 112 cab sounds great playing quiet or loud. Plenty of bottom end.

what a great idea - 1/8-30 watts. very intriguing . .

Archived