Heritage Owners Club

After a half year, the verdict is in...

barrymclark

As awesome as the Mesa is, the Cube wins again. The Mesa does some wonderful things to notes (particularly lead notes) but, overall, I prefer how the Cube handles things despite the Mesa's clear strengths.

It has just amazed me that I prefer the little Cube that could over so many amps. Just when I think the Cube has finally been matched, it comes out ahead again.

The Mesa pushed me into areas of play I hadn't before considered but, when I plug into the Cube, I'm home.

The Mesa I think woukd be FAR better suited to a rock or blues guy.

The Mesa may be moved.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Barry, is it possible that you are just a Solid State Amp guy? Jazz and all. Probably gives you those sterling cleans to build on. Most tube amps will give you some natural compression, truly just a tad bit less clean to start. I think it's kinda cool that you've found an amp you like. Unlike someone else we know who goes thru amps and guitars on a daily basis! (just joshin' and having fun .... :laughing7:). And yeah, that Mesa is probably geared more for a rock or blues type sound.

Thumb pick alert!

Indeed! I don't use them anymore, but it was fun.

Hey Barry, I found some of your vids on youtube the other night. I think Ren and Stimpy theme song was amongst these two as well.

Didnt realise it was you at first. We like the same sort of stuff apparently.

The Ren&Stimpy tune was indeed among them. :)

Glad you found them. :) I am working on Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas now. Love the melody.

Barry, is it possible that you are just a Solid State Amp guy? Jazz and all. Probably gives you those sterling cleans to build on. Most tube amps will give you some natural compression, truly just a tad bit less clean to start. I think it's kinda cool that you've found an amp you like. Unlike someone else we know who goes thru amps and guitars on a daily basis! (just joshin' and having fun .... :laughing7:). And yeah, that Mesa is probably geared more for a rock or blues type sound.

That is what I am settling into thinking: that I am a solid state kinda guy.

It hit me the other day what it is that I like so much about the Cube. I was talking with a friend about the Mesa and told him that what it does with the lead strings (unwound) is very interesting. The Cube is very... uninteresting. I really, honestly dig that.

Is your Mesa at all noisy? I have one, my 2nd, almost 20 years old now (wow.) Mine gives me a month or two of quiet operation, then it begins to make static that only stops when I replace the power tubes. I mostly use it for teaching now so it's not a big deal, but I wonder if anyone else gets that result as well?

Is your Mesa at all noisy? I have one, my 2nd, almost 20 years old now (wow.) Mine gives me a month or two of quiet operation, then it begins to make static that only stops when I replace the power tubes. I mostly use it for teaching now so it's not a big deal, but I wonder if anyone else gets that result as well?

On its cleanest settings, it isn't graveyard quiet but the hiss is ignorable. At least it is for me. Very consistent, too. I have never had an issue with the noise. I wouldn't hesitate to play and record with it even without a noise gate.

Archived