Heritage Owners Club

HRW's in a H-155?

PunkKitty

Guest HRB853370

It puzzles me that some say they could not get the shrillness out of the bridge pickup. My 555 bridge pickup (HRW) is actually a little less shrill, twangy or whatever you want to call it, than say, a Duncan 59 or Seth. As a whole, they sound darker than most buckers. I like the way Blunote described them and I would have to agree with him. Also, if I installed my HRW's in a Millie I would I expect it to sound "almost" identical to my 555. I guess my 555 gets Mojo from those HRW's as they are a perfect pickup set for me.

Ren is a straight clean spanky CLEAN country player. I feel this was injected into the HRWs; a cut-through the mix, high output, clean tone. They can be dialed in to achieve better results, but like others said, they will never be confused with a PAF pup.

I don't like HRWs in solid bodies or semi-hollow Heritages, BUT I do like them in Heritage archtops. I had a HRW in a former Sweet 16, and I have one in my Florintine Golden Eagle. In the neck position, I like the string to string balance and output in archtops. A number of jazz players (Vince Lewis, Mimi Fox, Henry Johnson) have all changed to HRWs in their archtops. But again, clean is King in jazz, and you can lower the pickup to reduce the output of the HRW. I don't know of any blues or R&R guitarist that use HRWs, but I bet some country guitar slingers do.

I just installed the HRW's in the Millie. After playing it through my 5e3, I've decided that they are staying. I can get a good PAF sound out of them. But I can get so much more. They are good for what I play.

I just installed the HRW's in the Millie. After playing it through my 5e3, I've decided that they are staying. I can get a good PAF sound out of them. But I can get so much more. They are good for what I play.

"...they are good for what I play." That about sums it up for me too when it comes to HRW's.

Guest HRB853370

And how long did that take Ms. Guitar Repairwoman! You are so talented!

The HRW's act very differently with different amplifiers. They sound bright with my Kustom Defender v15. Not shrill, but bright. They sound darker with my 5e3.I haven't tried them with my 5f1 or my Kustom Defender v50 yet. They feed back easily with the Millie. But it's not uncontrollable feedback. And they have an almost stereo quality to them. They are very versatile. Ren knows how to make a great pickup. I wish he still made these.Or that he had Seymour Duncan or another manufacturer make them as a custom shop pickup that are only sold with Heritages.

Archived