Heritage Owners Club

What mods are worth doing to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

Redsand

I totally agree Barry, this particular amp has held its own against several of my gear head buddy's amps both vintage and boutique.

That lack of respect you mention is fine with me, only real downside is a weak resale value.

I had one...and sold it. It was a 410. If I have a real regret-sale amp, that was it. The only thing was, I really wish I hadn't gotten the 410 (I got a deal on it) and just gotten the 112 and just got an extension cab for when I needed it. I really wouldn't mind trying the GB version. But... have yet to see it anywhere.

As widely used as these are, for clean and slight break up tones, I still think the Hot Rod series is a bit of a sleeper. They just don't get much respect. Shame. Really good amp. But, the upside is you can get one used at great deals.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sleeper!!!?? No way. its The opposite of sleeper.

As widely used as these are, for clean and slight break up tones, I still think the Hot Rod series is a bit of a sleeper. They just don't get much respect. Shame. Really good amp. But, the upside is you can get one used at great deals.

sleeper!!!?? No way. its The opposite of sleeper.

I don't know. They only seem to get respect as an 'if you are low on money' or 'in a pinch' amp. At least that's been the impression I've gotten. Basically like the Cube in that way for jazz. The only thing i wasn't too wild about but didn't dislike was the 'more gain' sound. Just a bit too flubby for my tastes. I hear they addressed that. I'd love to give the newer HRDLXIII a whirl. With an extension cab, I can't imagine a volume issue. That and Fender amps tend to cut like a knife.

I don't know. They only seem to get respect as an 'if you are low on money' or 'in a pinch' amp. At least that's been the impression I've gotten. Basically like the Cube in that way for jazz. The only thing i wasn't too wild about but didn't dislike was the 'more gain' sound. Just a bit too flubby for my tastes. I hear they addressed that. I'd love to give the newer HRDLXIII a whirl. With an extension cab, I can't imagine a volume issue. That and Fender amps tend to cut like a knife.

As to your comment about an extension cab, I agree. My Blues Deluxe (kissin' cousin to the HRD model) got a bit flubby at gig level volumes at an outdoor venue (Sacramento State College football stadium), so I added an extension cab and everything cleaned up and volume increased dramatically. And yes, the amp was miked.

Archived