Heritage Owners Club

Guitar squeals like a pig!

Thundersteel

A few years back I had what I thought was a michrophonic neck pickup.  Bridge pickup - fine; neck pickup - squeals like a stuck pig.  I had the pickup potted.  Didn't fix it.  I swapped the pickup for a factory potted pickup.  Still squealls.  A call to the amp manufacurer (Mesa) and a new pre-amp tube later, problem solved.  The fact that a distortion pedal fixed the problem leads me to believe you have a microphonic pre-amp tube.

Alnico Pro IIs are nice pickups - BrentRocks Favorites If I remember correctly - and they are potted. This might be a way to get close to that Seth sound you like in a potted pickup.

right you are....a perfect match for the Gary Moore

The fact that a distortion pedal fixed the problem leads me to believe you have a microphonic pre-amp tube.

Since that is the only guitar that does it, I must respectfully disagree.

Maybe it was just a resonant frequency between that guitar and amp that the dist pedal removed.

:laughing4: :laughing4: :occasion14:

Ive been working in retail to long. I have begun to speak it fluently. Get me a real job quick :undecided:

Since that is the only guitar that does it, I must respectfully disagree.

You mentioned that with the distortion pedal you can turn the gain down on your Marshall - hence your are not pushing the pre-amp tube(s) as hard.  This is the same thing that happened with my Mesa.  Low gain - no problem.  High gain and neck pickup - squealls like a pig.  Potting the neck pickup (stock unpotted Gword) did not fix the problem.  Swapping the neck pickup ( various Duncans and Dimarzios all of which were potted) did not fix the problem.  Swapping the pre-amp tube fixed the problem.  You can call me crazy but you can't change the facts - it was my pre-amp tube that was microphonic and not my new pickup.   

...You can call me crazy but you can't change the facts - it was my pre-amp tube that was microphonic and not my new pickup.   

Microphonic tubes are easy to test for...take a pencil with an eraser on the end, crank the amp up a ways and start tapping on the glass (with the eraser end of the pencil).

Archived