Heritage Owners Club

gpuma's fault. Boss GT100

JeffB

Thanks. It was weird and excited noodling and it makes me laugh to listen back to it. But the actual guitar sounds arent too bad.

Ive been playing with this thing a bit more and have dug a little deeper into the menu and parameters. There are some neat surprises along the way.

I have only very briefly plugged into an amp since I got this GT100 so my ears may have adapted to what its hearing and I may have forgotten what Im missing.

There are some things that frustrate me about what Im hearing. Mainly the artificial thickness in the bottom end. Its pretty much impossible with the direct to desk and speaker set up I have to get a smooth even compression through all frequencies. Having said that, there are times when I couldnt or cant quite get the sound/feel/response out of the tube amps I have and just made do.

Over all, after 12days, it feels like a feel good and fun purchase that goes quite a bit further than my expectations in terms of sounds, ease of use and functionality. Two thumbs up :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::)

• 3 weeks later...

Over a month now. This thing rocks. I havnt turned an amp on at home in weeks. I have a couple of clean patches and just use them straight to the interface and through the cheap and old home stereo.

I use the loop function a lot. I didnt think I would. It also has a metronome that I use a lot.

The GT100 is stupidly easy to use. The manual is really small but contains most of what you need to know if you cant figure it out yourself.

Here is another clip minus all the coffee and sugar from a few days after the first clip.

Its is what it is. A digital device into another digital device and then uploaded into the digital realm.

I used too much or incorrectly used the reverb and was maybe a little heavy handed with the compression or maybe just used that incorrectly as well. Im no recording studio wiz.

https://soundcloud.com/jeffbn/melancholy-in-eminor

For all my complaining I do like the sounds I got here. No effort. It sounds pretty much like me using a strat. Misplaced rhythms and hesitant phrasing.

This device is pretty much perfect for me for where I am at with guitar. :)

• 2 months later...

Three months in.

Its useful.

One thing I hadnt counted on was the ease of moving and swapping stomps around. There's no velcro or tightly packed board to contend with.

To swap the position of a stomp you push a button, turn a dial and, oh, thats it. Done.

To add in a new effect you push a button turn a dial and then turn another.

The effects are all good. The drives are good. If I cant get good sounds out of it just using the effects and od stomps it would be me that has a problem not the unit.

Ive used it through the front of my amp and through what I call monitors which are really just home stereo speakers. It works and is easy to use.

The amp sims take some tweaking but a clean or light gain bluesy break up are easy to get right. Some of the higher gain sounds contain fizz that cant be dialed out.

As with anything like this it doesnt matter how good you think it sounds, and it can sound good, the moment you plug into a guitar amp and speaker you are confronted with the truth. I have found this to be true with all modeling devices including the two top of the wazza units that get all the press on the web's.

That speaker doing the thing that speakers do is hard for the boffins to emulate Im guessing

As an indication of how good a device I think this makes as a pedal board I have had my stomps and board packed away for about 2months. I dont miss all the doodads and all that comes with the non virtual board. I do have a curiosity about it in that Im tempted to drag all the components out and assemble them into a working unit just to do a comparison but I remember I was pretty convinced I was happy enough with the virtual board two months ago.

The amp sims are good enough for me to goose around at home at midnight levels and feel like Im doing alright. In fact its only when I plug in to a guitar amp and speaker that I become aware that Im not using the most amazing sounding piece of gear.

Over a month now. This thing rocks. I havnt turned an amp on at home in weeks. I have a couple of clean patches and just use them straight to the interface and through the cheap and old home stereo.

I use the loop function a lot. I didnt think I would. It also has a metronome that I use a lot.

The GT100 is stupidly easy to use. The manual is really small but contains most of what you need to know if you cant figure it out yourself.

Here is another clip minus all the coffee and sugar from a few days after the first clip.

Its is what it is. A digital device into another digital device and then uploaded into the digital realm.

I used too much or incorrectly used the reverb and was maybe a little heavy handed with the compression or maybe just used that incorrectly as well. Im no recording studio wiz.

https://soundcloud.com/jeffbn/melancholy-in-eminor

For all my complaining I do like the sounds I got here. No effort. It sounds pretty much like me using a strat. Misplaced rhythms and hesitant phrasing.

This device is pretty much perfect for me for where I am at with guitar. :)

Nice clip!

Sounds good to me too. I've taken my ME-25 with me when travelling. That, a guitar, and set of earphones provided many many hours of practice in apartments and hotel rooms I stayed in. They're under-rated but very useful.

Nice clip!

Thanks. :)

Sounds good to me too. I've taken my ME-25 with me when travelling. That, a guitar, and set of earphones provided many many hours of practice in apartments and hotel rooms I stayed in. They're under-rated but very useful.

Its funny, I bought it because I bought it to use as a practice tool and to be able to practice quietly. Ive since found out Im able to use my usual amps at a reasonable home practice volume so I neednt have bothered with the purchase. But its such a useful unit I tend to just plug into it and use it instead of the amps.

Ive gone from being somewhat of a purist to more of a........ convenience'ist.... :icon_scratch:

Archived