Heritage Owners Club

Need suggestions on a good compressor pedal !

I have a Carl Martin Compressor now but is just too big and only has a hard wired power cord.

The ones I see on most pedal boards around here are Barber, Diamond and Xotic. Must mean something. I've been using the Red Witch Grace. Nice small format pedal. But could use a blend knob.

I've been through quite a few of them. For my taste, I don't like pedals that do the Ross compressor thing and I like the subtlety of optical compressors. I am not a fan of the Boss compressor (noisy, too squashy), the Xotic SP was way too noisy in my setup (and I did not like the tone either) and even the forest green compressor from Mad professor was a bit meh (sounds a bit like a wet blanket over the amp in compressor mode - although the sustainer mode is ok and I generally love Mad professor stuff). I love the Vahlbruch compressor (Fusionizer) and the Okko compressor (CocaComp) - but both of these are perhaps a bit german boutique niche market specific (but fabulous compressipn/boost pedals). A decent mass market compressor is the Mooer yellow comp that is not expensive, really small and does a decent job (its an optical compressor modelled after the famous diamond compressor to the best of my knowledge). Never tried the Barber, but love their BarbEQ pedal.

.... Actually, my cheap'ish mustang floor multi fx has a pretty decent compressor (it actually sounds pretty damn good once it sees a nice valve poweramp and decent speakers ... But that's for another thread someday)

I've recently experimented with compressor before or after drive (for cleans it doesn't really matter IMHO) and to my surprise I started to like compressor after drive quite a bit. It gives nice smooth, singing, sustaining lead tones (not so good for rhythm I guess).

Good luck hunting!

Empress Compressor.

Pricey, and too many controls for some folks,

but really nice sound fidelity.

I had a Keeley 3 Knob Compressor signed by the Keeley himself which was the same as the 4 knob but only one of the controls were internal. (He only made the 3 knob for friends.) I am not a friend of his but I called into their shop to verify the authenticity of the pedal. He ended up being in that day and was happy help. He was pissed that it was listed on Ebay and said, "yup, I made that pedal and I cannot believe my friends. If you don't complete that auction by tonight I will buy it back." It was a very nice sounding natural compressor. The Keeley 4 knob is expensive but very high quality. I sold mine because I wasn't using it and Keeley actually bought it back from me when I was done with it.

I've been through quite a few of them. For my taste, I don't like pedals that do the Ross compressor thing and I like the subtlety of optical compressors. I am not a fan of the Boss compressor (noisy, too squashy), the Xotic SP was way too noisy in my setup (and I did not like the tone either) and even the forest green compressor from Mad professor was a bit meh (sounds a bit like a wet blanket over the amp in compressor mode - although the sustainer mode is ok and I generally love Mad professor stuff). I love the Vahlbruch compressor (Fusionizer) and the Okko compressor (CocaComp) - but both of these are perhaps a bit german boutique niche market specific (but fabulous compressipn/boost pedals). A decent mass market compressor is the Mooer yellow comp that is not expensive, really small and does a decent job (its an optical compressor modelled after the famous diamond compressor to the best of my knowledge). Never tried the Barber, but love their BarbEQ pedal.

.... Actually, my cheap'ish mustang floor multi fx has a pretty decent compressor (it actually sounds pretty damn good once it sees a nice valve poweramp and decent speakers ... But that's for another thread someday)

I've recently experimented with compressor before or after drive (for cleans it doesn't really matter IMHO) and to my surprise I started to like compressor after drive quite a bit. It gives nice smooth, singing, sustaining lead tones (not so good for rhythm I guess).

Good luck hunting!

I did an a/b comparison of the mooer and Diamond.

I really like the Diamond and didnt think the mooer wasnt too bad either. Its pretty close. Unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived