Heritage Owners Club

Hughes and Kettner

Just wanted to give an update. I bought a Hughes and Kettner 50 watt switchblade several months ago. (used) It came w/ a 7 button footswitch. $400 bucks for everything. It is a great amp. W/ Talismansrich's help, I found out how to get a great clear clean. It has a great crunch and (as expected w/ the name switchblade) a biting distortion. It can be extremely loud. The foot-switch allows for 128 preset banks and works perfectly. It's all tube, but also includes separate on board trem, reverb, flanger, chorus and delay.

So far, this is a great amp that has just performed wonderfully!

master & channel vol up, gain down. Increasing gain increases breakup/distortion proportionately w/ this H&K. Clean setting w/ gain up has some breakup---backing off the gain off to abt 3 and turning the master up gives strong bell clear and very clean tones.

It sounds like you've "tamed the beast". That is probably the highest gain amp that I've ever played with, certainly higher than my Marshall DSL. It works great with that H150, but with that super sweet Guild, it seemed too much. That P90 archtop almost screams ROCKABILLY. Obviously the trick was figuring out the right combination on the knobs.

Speaking of that Guild, what P90s are in that guitar? It had a nice bit of crispness that I couldn't quite duplicate with the 525. Don't know if it was the pickup or the pots, but its awesome.

master & channel vol up, gain down. Increasing gain increases breakup/distortion proportionately w/ this H&K. Clean setting w/ gain up has some breakup---backing off the gain off to abt 3 and turning the master up gives strong bell clear and very clean tones.

Thanks

who are these guys, anyway?

did Howard go from building aeroplanes to guitar amplifiers?

I have an H&K tubeman v1 that is a very useful item, sounds great, built like a tank. had it for years

RICH---here are the Specs for the Guild----PUPS are SD p90 according to the spec sheet.

1994 Guild® X-500 T in the rare P-90 Model. 17" Arched bookmatched laminated spruce top; arched laminated flame maple back, sides and neck; ebony fingerboard with mother of pearl/abalone V-block inlay; Guild shield logo peghead; 8-ply body binding, 5 ply fingerboard binding, triple bound headstock and f-holes, bone nut,
venetian cutaway 3-5/8" depth, 5 piece maple neck, , gold plated Guild tremolo, 2 Guild P90 (SD) pickups, master volume, 3 way toggle, gold hardware, blonde finish.
Scale length: 24 3/4" Nut width: 1 11/16"
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg

OOOH! Look at that Guild!

Keep your filthy hands off MY guitar!!!!! :whip2:

(sorry HF7... I got carried away!)

Yeah, Barry, that thing is exceptional! I've always like Guilds anyway. Playing that one put me on the path of finding an archtop, which is something that I never had a desire to play up to that point. The Guilds with P90s are not very common. I played the 525 Kuz was selling LK and when it came up for sale later, I jumped on it.

But you know what they say about first loves.... :love10:

Keep your filthy hands off MY guitar!!!!! :whip2:

(sorry HF7... I got carried away!)

Yeah, Barry, that thing is exceptional! I've always like Guilds anyway. Playing that one put me on the path of finding an archtop, which is something that I never had a desire to play up to that point. The Guilds with P90s are not very common. I played the 525 Kuz was selling LK and when it came up for sale later, I jumped on it.

But you know what they say about first loves.... :love10:

Rich---she is avail for you to play anytime sir! You play It much better than I do for sure!

Archived