Heritage Owners Club

Snake Oil Strings Original Nickel Vintage Formula

tsp17

Tried 'em. Liked 'em a lot. Great match for my 150 with Seths. Feel good, sound good. Warm and clear. Seem to be lasting well. A little expensive, but ...I'd say they're worth it for what i am looking for in terms of "vintage" tone. Bought two more sets to keep in the case accessory compartment after playing the first ones for a while. I'm playing 11s.

Just passing the information along in case anyone has been thinking about trying this brand or is looking to try something new. No affilliation.

Tried them and liked them but for my playing style flat wounds work better.

right, on my jazz guitars i only use flats as well. with the 150 i was looking for a specific classic rock sound and great feel. i found it with these strings much more than with others i tried. DR Pure Blues were pretty good, Gbrand Vintage Reissues were better than the DRs, a couple of others were not as good. These nailed it. Really like them.

Have flats on the rock boxes as well

very hip! i tried that for a while, but it wasn't giving me what i wanted.

how would you describe the difference you hear? or is it in the feel?

Thanks for this recommendation. As my H535 is still rather new to me I'm still sorting my favorite strings for it. Will check these out too. I have Pyramids on there now based on recommendations here and they are exceptional. Those Seth Lovers really seem to like round core and nickel wrapped strings.

Thanks for this recommendation. As my H535 is still rather new to me I'm still sorting my favorite strings for it. Will check these out too. I have Pyramids on there now based on recommendations here and they are exceptional. Those Seth Lovers really seem to like round core and nickel wrapped strings.

Pyramids are now next on my list to try. thanks.

Completely agree that Seths love this type of string. A combination that produces a really nice sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be a big Pyramid strings fan. Still am, actually. They sound fantastic. And feel broken in right from the get go. A bit expensive, but they certainly last which helps mitigate the cost.

I think I did a set or two of Snake Oil way back when they first came out. Decent enough.

When I went to country I left the Pyramids as they weren't quite as bright as I wanted for the genre`. And due to a shipping error from a musical instrument dealer I am sitting on about 30 sets of the strings I currently use, so ..... maybe try the Snake Oil again after this stash runs out. Or, maybe Pyramids again.

There is a lot of stuff on the interwebs about how the owner of that business takes the money and runs, taking the orders and paypal $ right away, and not sending the strings. Buyer Beware. I don't have any personal experience, but based on what I've read, I wouldn't buy them unless they were in stock and, preferably, right in the store. Google Snake Oil Brand Strings, Dean Farley for his track record. Maybe things are better now, as this was a few years ago.

There is a lot of stuff on the interwebs about how the owner of that business takes the money and runs, taking the orders and paypal $ right away, and not sending the strings. Buyer Beware. I don't have any personal experience, but based on what I've read, I wouldn't buy them unless they were in stock and, preferably, right in the store. Google Snake Oil Brand Strings, Dean Farley for his track record. Maybe things are better now, as this was a few years ago.

i read all that too so I buy mine from a dealer. gimmesomestrings.com carries them and lists them on ebay, so there should be minimal risk if any. i've not had any problem going this route.

Snake Oil for sure. I've read the same thing concerning non delivery of product after payment. There was a big thread on TGP.

I've used D'Addario's for years and recently discovered Dunlop Nickel Wraps. I use the D'Addarios on guitars that need a brighter string and the Dunlops on guitars needing a warmer string.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/du3paniplste.html

Archived