Heritage Owners Club

Three Killer amps, Three different tones...

Currently, I have three different amps... All serve different purposes...

My personal favorite for rocking out is my Jet City JCA22H and matching 2x12 closed back cabinet. Even at low volumes, this amp is a rock machine. I have to keep the gain rather low, but that's ok. It gives me that 70's classic rock tone. With its effect loop, I can accomplish a lot with that setup.. It can be really loud, but it actual works well at bedroom levels too. XLR output from the cab does allow recording too without a mic.

But my Traynor YGM-4 that I recently had re-cabbed by Mather Cabinets in Nashville, has a lush reverb and swirling tremolo on it. That is the perfect mellow blues amp. While it can be cranked up to give a bit of an AC-15/Deluxe Reverb gain, I think it sounds best around 1 o'clock, which is loud but warm as its a 20-25 watt open back 1x12 combo. Its previous cabinet was a hefty closed back cabinet, but its sounds so much like a Deluxe Reverb as an open back. Love its tones.

Lastly, I have a Tech 21 Power Engine. Its really just a solid state, analog power amp, but it can be used with any preamp for either electric or acoustic playing. It sounds great, can be the loudest amp I have, and has an XLR output for either another Power Engine or mixer/recorder. Its a great, lighweight backup and really nails a Fender amp sound when using my Joyo American Sound preamp. Add in the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus, and its another Deluxe Reverb/Bassman/Vibrolux like amp with a few tweaks of some knobs.

I have a purpose for all three, yet I wish I could only make due with one... I've debating getting rid of one or two amps, but I cannot decide who goes... They all serve me well.

Hey Josh, I picked up a 1975 Traynor Reverb Master YRM-1SC over the weekend. It is basically a marshall 50 watt with 4x10s. After talking to Mike the "amp whisperer" I think I might drop in 4 @ Celestion G10 Greenback 10". It is a very cool handwired amp.

Hey Josh, I picked up a 1975 Traynor Reverb Master YRM-1SC over the weekend. It is basically a marshall 50 watt with 4x10s. After talking to Mike the "amp whisperer" I think I might drop in 4 @ Celestion G10 Greenback 10". It is a very cool handwired amp.

Glad you made a deal.... I think they are probably the most underrated amp from the handwired era. You cannot recreate them for anywhere near the price of buying a vintage amp. That cab on 4x10 seems to be in a lot better shape than mine. I bet your back is thankful it has casters!

sounds cool, pics?

the stock speakers in those amps were the weak point. unless you were lucky & got a stock cab with cerwin vega ER123's!! they were rare though

sweet!!

those sound fantastic. bias modulating trem = the best, IMO

and they are reasonably cheap. I mean, come on, a handwired vintage tube amp for < $400 on most days!! crazy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived