Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-tone report: Fender Silverface Princeton RI.

I only had a moment and I was not at all fond of the Epi Joe Pass I was playing on.

None the less, the tone was clean, clear and smooth. I am not sure if smooth is a term that translates but it wasn't at all harsh or overly high toned. I liked the 'fur' on the tone too. Very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

is this one of the "new" ones that has the extra voicings built in? The "Vintage Modified" versions that I keep seeing being pimped everywhere.

I've always wanted to mess around with a vintage style fender amp. Alas I already have too many amps. I'm on amp probation.

is this one of the "new" ones that has the extra voicings built in? The "Vintage Modified" versions that I keep seeing being pimped everywhere.

I've always wanted to mess around with a vintage style fender amp. Alas I already have too many amps. I'm on amp probation.

I believe so. It sounded nice. I can't compare it to an honest 68 though. Never played through a real SF Princeton. In fact, this was the first and, currently, only Princeton I have ever played through.

Why not buy a vintage silverface Princeton for that price? It will retain it's value and probably sound better.

Why not buy a vintage silverface Princeton for that price? It will retain it's value and probably sound better.

Didn't say I was looking to get one. ;) just that it sounded nice. certainly nice enough to gig with.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

+1 !!

And they're appreciating fairly quickly too !

In the end, not only do you get to play it for FREE but you are probably gonna make a buck or two as well.

There are lots of nice clean ones out there too as the low-wattage Fender Amps are just now coming onto the Radar Screen.

Here's my pair of Vintage Fender Amps picked up w/i the past year after about a month's searching for each:

1973 Fender 'Silverface' Princeton Reverb (AB 1270)

DSCN1262b_zpse1ec0335.jpgDSCN1267b_zpsde00f624.jpgDSCN1261b_zpsaf1ac2f5.jpg

1967 Fender 'Blackface' Deluxe (AB 763)

67FenderDeluxeFront_zps4c27454e.jpgjhkboyz6p3ab3itfeb0w_zpsc34592b3.jpg

ssnn0sifldyvn6vtzkmt_zps8879395a.jpg

I picked up this pair of one-owners (complete w/ Candy, Covers & Footswitches) w/i the past year for just under $1,600 total.

Added Date-Code correct Vintage Jensens, and a 3-prong conversion to the Deluxe (the only changes I made to them) bringing me to just under $1,900 All-In.

Current Market Prices (especially given condition) indicate they're worth twice this, maybe slightly more.

Am very happy I picked these up when I did as the Market is beginning to put these out of sensible reach for an Amateur player. So my advice is to get on one before it becomes too late.

cheers!

+1 !!

And they're appreciating fairly quickly too !

In the end, not only do you get to play it for FREE but you are probably gonna make a buck or two as well.

There are lots of nice clean ones out there too as the low-wattage Fender Amps are just now coming onto the Radar Screen.

Here's my pair of Vintage Fender Amps picked up w/i the past year after about a month's searching for each:

1973 Fender 'Silverface' Princeton Reverb (AB 1270)

DSCN1262b_zpse1ec0335.jpgDSCN1267b_zpsde00f624.jpgDSCN1261b_zpsaf1ac2f5.jpg

1967 Fender 'Blackface' Deluxe (AB 763)

67FenderDeluxeFront_zps4c27454e.jpgjhkboyz6p3ab3itfeb0w_zpsc34592b3.jpg

ssnn0sifldyvn6vtzkmt_zps8879395a.jpg

I picked up this pair of one-owners (complete w/ Candy, Covers & Footswitches) w/i the past year for just under $1,600 total.

Added Date-Code correct Vintage Jensens, and a 3-prong conversion to the Deluxe (the only changes I made to them) bringing me to just under $1,900 All-In.

Current Market Prices (especially given condition) indicate they're worth twice this, maybe slightly more.

Am very happy I picked these up when I did as the Market is beginning to put these out of sensible reach for an Amateur player. So my advice is to get on one before it becomes too late.

cheers!

That is the steal of the century!!!! Congrats on a fabulous pair of vintage amps and an incredible deal!!!! WOW!!!

That is the steal of the century!!!! Congrats on a fabulous pair of vintage amps and an incredible deal!!!! WOW!!!

Thanks !

Appreciate the kudos !!

But, just to be clear, these were two separate transactions.

One might think the circumstances were unique, but really not. I looked at many, many examples before buying these. Condition, price, good fortune, all played a part. But, there are still many others out there for others to find... you just have to dedicate and put in the work.

While it's great to get them under Market Price, and in such condition, it's really about the Tone and these two examples have it in Spades !!

I was playing about two years, heard all the myths surrounding the Blackface and early Silverface Amps, but at least in my case, I had to hear it to believe all the 'hype'.

Well, I've heard it and am now a true convert. These amps have a Tone and a Mojo which many other amps since are trying hard to replicate.

Again, I'd advise someone to try and get the real thing. Not that there aren't many more current amps equal to these, but unfortunately, there are also many who claim to replicate them but simply don't measure up... including many of Fender's current amps, some costing as much, or more.

Cheers!

Jim

Archived