Heritage Owners Club

HCO...I need your advice please...

westley

Hello everyone,

It's a pleasure and honor to meet all the gracious, experienced and talented musicians here at the HCO forum. As my thread mentions, I'd really like your advice regarding my next guitar purchase.

I'm a blues player, historically and primarily a strat player. Recently, I changed from Fender strats to old Hamer Daytonas because of the tone, vibe, feel and features (i.e. 1 11/16 nut, 14" radius, locking tuners, wilkinson bridge, etc.). One day, I went to Jay's store (I live about 10 minutes from Wolfe guitars) and discussed my cool epiphany with him, only to have him tell me that HE carries Hamer. As a result, I've recently purchased two new Hamers, both solid body guitars.

Which leads me to my question (thanks for your patience  :)).

I'm presently in the market for a hollow body guitar, and in addition to considering a Hamer Newport Pro, I also want to seriously consider both a Heritage 535 as well as a Heritage Prospect, as I've always had HUGE respect and admiration for Heriatage, as I've owned several 150's in the past.

As I mentioned, I'm a blues player, and my rigg is pretty simple. Amp wise, I play through either an old 73 Silverface Fender Twin Reverb or a 77 Silverface Fender Vibrolux, running through a Fulltone OCD or a Keely modded TS 808. FYI, my next amp purchase will probably be an old Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb, as I have to believe the natural overdriven tone on that amp dimed and plugged straight into a hollow body guitar with HB's will be sonic nirvana.  ;D

Ladies and gentlemen, as Heritage guru's, can you please share with your experiences, perceptions and wisdom regarding the differences between these guitars?

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND INSIGHTS!!!

Westley

First of all, WELCOME!

By the way, it's "HOC", not "HCO."  ;D

I wish I was able to give you advice regarding the H535 & Prospect, but since I dont own either of them, I cannot give you a qualified answer.

But I'm sure you'll get several responses from others here on your tone quest!

Welcome to the Club.

I own both of the guitars you are interested in.  First of all, you can't go wrong with either of them.  What you will have to do is play each of them with the different pickup offerings to see which you like best.  Mine both have SD Seth Lover pickups.  I like them for the variety of music I play.  I like you am a blues player (also a Strat fanatic), but have recently focused on jazz (I also own an H-550).  Both the 535 and Prospect have such a wide range of tone, that I find myself playing them for jazz, blues, and rock.....to the point that I have put all my other guitars away.  Both are great playing, but the Prospect (which I call the "Mini-Me" of the 535) is an extremely comfortable guitar to play because of its 15" bout.  It has a very slightly less "bassy" tone, but make no mistake it is awesome.  Both guitars have a very a comfortable 24 3/4" scale and, in my opinion, superior in playability, tone, and quality to their peers.

I guess what I am saying here is.......you will be happy with either one.  Heck you may end up like me....owning both.  Pick the one you think feels the best with the tone you like........and you won't look back.  In fact, you may find yourself wanting to play more---that's what happened to me.

Good luck and I hope I was able to give you a little useable info.

Jim  C

Dear Thundersteel, please forgive my typo and please accept my since apology regarding the reference to HOC, what an embassassing mistake.

Dear Bluzman54, I sincerely cannot thank you enough for your time and wisdom as well as your precise and invaluable insights. Jay, currently has two Prospects in stock, both with SDSL pups, as well as a slew of 535's, probably offering both SD 59's as well as SL's.

This weekend, my goal is to play them, along with the Hamer Newport Pro, and make a decision.

Gentlemen, thank you once again.

Sincerely,

Westley

Wesley~ Welcome aboard.  We're a relaxed and informal bunch here...and we make LOTS of mistakes...mostly when we give opinions.  :) 

But since you are a blues player and are planning on plugging in a semi hollow git into a Silverface Deluxe Reverb, here's my only thought...

H535 or H555 with either Seth Lovers or HRW's!!!!!!

Crank that Silverface up and you will be in tonal nervana.  That's what I do with my HRW-loaded H555 and SF Deluxe Reverb, and the compliments from other players are proof of this simple rig.

Since you live so close to Wolfe, you may be able to test drive one of his 535 or 555's to see for yourself.

Good hunting!  8)

But since you are a blues player and are planning on plugging in a semi hollow git into a Silverface Deluxe Reverb, here's my only thought...

H535 or H555 with either Seth Lovers or HRW's!!!!!!

I count that as 4 thoughts.  :angel:

Westley

I got all of my Heritages from Jay Wolfe.....I work less than 10 minutes from his shop.   Jay and Graham are great to work with and will definitely lead you in the right direction.

Here's how I select my guitars from him- or anyone else for that matter......first I play the guitar unamplified to narrow down the ones I feel play best for me- this allows me to focus on the instruments playability and not what I am hearing.  Then I have Graham hook the finalists up and have him play them (same music and guitar/amp settings) while I stand a distance away so I can truly hear their tone.  From there I eliminate guitars until I finally have the one I want.  My "system of selection" has yielded some incredibly great playing and sounding guitars.  I also do the same with amps.

I find that I can best evaluate a guitar's or amp's tone from a distance (I even walk around the shop to hear them from different angles) and not personally playing while making the evaluation.  This was I can fully concentrate on the tones, etc. while not being concerned about playing........  May be a somewhat "dumb" approach, but I have done this for 20+ years and it works for me.

I too compared various Hamers to the Prospect (we tested all in the shop).......the Prospect won in a blow out.  Both Graham and Jay felt the same way.....we were all surprised at the distinct difference.  I was so impressed by the Prospect that I bought a 535 from Jay about 3 weeks ago......btw I used my same selection process for it too.

Both sound great through my Polytone, Fender Vibrolux Reverb, Twin Reverb, and any other amp I have........they are truly incredible guitars.

I have a feeling once you try a Prospect or 535, there will be one in your arsenal.

JMHO

Jim C

You are correct, sir!   :)

Four thoughts from a single stream of consciousness.  Must be a Libra thang! 8)

Ahhhh.......you have now attained the upper levels of consciousness Grasshopper........go forth and spread your knowledge to the unenlightened........ ;D

Jim C

Dear Thundersteel, please forgive my typo and please accept my since apology regarding the reference to HOC, what an embassassing mistake.

Westly, no apologies necessary! We all like to have fun here!

You and Jim are LUCKY to be so close to Jay's store. I've been there twice, and I always have a tough time leaving. I'd like to visit more often, but since I live in the Panhandle, I'm lucky if I make it there more than once a year.

............ since I live in the Panhandle..............

Thunder....

Where in the Panhandle?  I have another home in AL and pass through the PH all the time.  Maybe on one of my trips we could get together for lunch or a cocktail........or I could convince you to teach me a few tasty licks on the guitar.........just a thought.

Jim C

Thunder....

I have another home in AL and pass through the PH all the time.  Jim C

Jim, if your house is near Huntsville you need to give me a call. 

Westly, one of our members, Kuz, has a nice 535 for sale.  That would be a good place to look. 

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,2430.0.html

Jim, if your house is near Huntsville you need to give me a call.  http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,2430.0.html

Bird,

My house is in Vredenburgh, AL (about 30 mile north of Monroeville).......but I am always up for a road trip.  Next time I go up, I'll let you know to see if we can hook up.

Jim C

Where in the Panhandle?

UCLA--also known as "Upper Crestview, Lower Alabama."  ...or Crestucky to the locals...

Some even call it by its proper name--Crestview--but not many.   ;D

UCLA--also known as "Upper Crestview, Lower Alabama."  ...or Crestucky to the locals...

Some even call it by it's proper name--Crestview--but not many.   ;D

Cool.  I normally head north into AL at DeFuniak Springs (and through Florala)........next time I head up that way I'll let you know........UCLA is only about 30 miles past there (no big deal).  I can still go through Florala from there via 85.

Would be great to meet people from HOC.

Jim C

next time I head up that way I'll let you know

Sounds good--let me know. When you get to DeFuniak Springs next time, check out the winery--it's really good stuff!

Hey Ron thanks for the plug, but actually it's a 555.

Wesley if you are interested in a "like new guitar" but want to save some cash, tag me back.

The only I'm selling is to fund two other Heritage guitars.

Here's a pic, like new, dead mint, with upgrades and original hardware included.

Thanks,

John

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1929-Edit2.jpg[/img]

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1935-Edit2.jpg[/img]

Hey Ron thanks for the plug, but actually it's a 555.

Wesley if you are interested in a "like new guitar" but want to save some cash, tag me back.

The only I'm selling is to fund two other Heritage guitars.

Here's a pic, like new, dead mint, with upgrades and original hardware included.

Thanks,

John

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1929-Edit2.jpg[/img]

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1935-Edit2.jpg[/img]

Kuz.......

You got me drooling again!!!!!  That is one sweet looking guitar.  I am now thinking what I have to sell to get the money..........

Westley buy this thing before I lose all control..............

Jim C

Thanks for the kind words.

It will be on the block for only a few more weeks and then it's traded to the dealer and gone from the HOC family.

No pressure on anyone, just what I have to do to pay of my GAS (aka Heritage Meth - once you try one you can't quit) addiction.

Archived