Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Valveking II's

DetroitBlues

When I first got into a band, I used a Peavey Valveking 112 combo. It was a loud 50 watt 1x12 amp, but its clean channel with my stratocaster was absolutely perfect for me. It had such a rich harmonic sound, I just fell in love with its tone... However, the first one I bought kept blowing the V1 tube. I returned it and got another one... Same thing happened with in weeks. Guitar Center worked with me, and I bought a 3rd amp. I even got a warranty with it, but I eventually sold it to pay for the KBP810 amp I had briefly. I've gone through a couple Peavey amps, namely the Deltablues 115 which had a tremolo circuit problem and an odd rattle noise. Lastly I still have an old Peavey Bandit 112. Its reverb is shot, but still sounds great. But the tones of the Valveking continue to haunt me....

So a deal for a trade came up that involved a new 20watt Peavey Valveking II in a head verision. I've seen some demo's, like the features, and will have the amp tomorrow. But the real questions are, will I love it or will I hate it. Will it sound good? Will it last? So much unknown with a new amp, but my guess it will be better or else why would Peavey re-vamp the model line without improving reliability?

While reliability is still to be determined, this is a rather fine sounding amp. Its cleans are Marshall like cleans and its overdrive channel can go from classic rock to hard rock/metal real quick. But I rather like the effects loop and the ability to crank the amp up using just headphones... Here's some specs:

• Two EL84 and three 12AX7 tubes
  • 20 watts
  • Patented Microphone Simulated Direct Interface (MSDI™) with ground lift and speaker defeat
  • Speaker output with impedance switch
  • TSI™ tube monitoring with LED pass/fail indicator lights
  • Vari-Class™ variable Class A simulation control
  • Microphone Simulated USB Recording output
  • 3 band EQ
  • Reverb with level control
  • Gain/volume boost on lead channel
  • Two independent channels
  • Footswitch input
  • Buffered effects loop
  • Weight Unpacked: 14.59 lbs

Now I've heard there is a volume loss when using a footswitch. Since I don't have one, I'm not going to worry about it at the moment. For now, I need to find myself another extension cabinet so I can keep one at band practice and only have to drag one guitar and an amp head back and forth. I haven't tried the XLR output yet, but according to Peavey, it was developed with Joe Satriani when he used to have an endorsement deal with them. I haven't used the USB recording output yet either, but I have tried the headphones and the speaker defeat. It works rather well, but nothing sounds better than a bunch of speakers pushing out sound of the amp. Vari-class is cool, mixes up the sound quite well. I really like the tube monitoring on the front of the amp. That's a great idea.

Hearing damage was already done from a Mesaboogie years ago...

However, when I compare this amp to my Jet City Head, I like the Jet City much better. Despite the both having a compact size and similiar output, I think the Jet City has a bigger sound. There is nothing wrong with the Peavey at all. Its a fine amp on its own. But in this case, I think it came down to a matter of taste and personal preference.

Peavey VK II MH needs to find a new home.

So far, it's great. Sounds much better than my Jet City. But I don't think it's nearly as loud. Time will tell, but this thing is tiny. So far though, I'm happy with it!

Hearing damage was already done from a Mesaboogie years ago...

However, when I compare this amp to my Jet City Head, I like the Jet City much better. Despite the both having a compact size and similiar output, I think the Jet City has a bigger sound. There is nothing wrong with the Peavey at all. Its a fine amp on its own. But in this case, I think it came down to a matter of taste and personal preference.

Peavey VK II MH needs to find a new home.

:laughing4::laughing4::laughing4:

I think I just got whiplash...

Yep, you heard it right... At first I thought it did sound better than my Jet City. But after playing with it for nearly a week, I noticed a real lack of bottom end. The Jet City is louder and fuller. Much more bottom end. Yes, at first it seemed better, but I was just using the Reverend and the Stratocaster. When I mixed it up with all my guitars, the Jet City stood out.

Besides, it gives me a great excuse to pick up a used Marshall DSL40C!

Yep, you heard it right... At first I thought it did sound better than my Jet City. But after playing with it for nearly a week, I noticed a real lack of bottom end. The Jet City is louder and fuller. Much more bottom end. Yes, at first it seemed better, but I was just using the Reverend and the Stratocaster. When I mixed it up with all my guitars, the Jet City stood out.

Wouldn't that be a matter of the cabinet you're using it with?

I would look for a a marshall clone instead of the DSL

Been considering a DSL40C myself for my next amp purchase. When you do buy it, not sure about it, tweak it, lukewarm on it, better than my Jet City?, second thoughts about it, don't like it, need to sell it.........Dibs! :icon_smile:

If I wasn't heading out with the inlaws for dinner tonight, I may be picking up a used one. I could finance one through Sweetwater, which comes with a two year warranty. Except, that's $700. I can save nearly $300 and buy used that allows to me to sell if I don't like it a minimum loss (if any)... Choices, choices.

I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe through Sweetwater that stopped working after a few months. Sweetwater sent me a pre-paid return authorization to ship the amp back to them, and within two weeks I had a brand new replacement amp.

Not sure if the same applies to Peavey products, but that was my experience and I was very impressed.

I very nearly bought Marshall DSL40C just now. But then it dawned on me. If Sweetwater has a Black Friday sale, it will be much cheaper. I want to wait until then. Or make some sort of deal with Sweetwater that if I buy now and there is a price drop, I want the difference returned to me.

I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe through Sweetwater that stopped working after a few months. Sweetwater sent me a pre-paid return authorization to ship the amp back to them, and within two weeks I had a brand new replacement amp.

Not sure if the same applies to Peavey products, but that was my experience and I was very impressed.

I had to pay for the shipping, then waited two weeks before I E-mailed them to get an ETA. They said it would be another four weeks..... Did you buy any kind of extra warranty that would cover the shipping?

I had to pay for the shipping, then waited two weeks before I E-mailed them to get an ETA. They said it would be another four weeks..... Did you buy any kind of extra warranty that would cover the shipping?

Nope. It came with Fender's usual 5 year warranty.

Maybe they took care of me because of my Sweetwater sales engineer (Derek S.). He rocks!!

Between lack of needing to sell and the resale value of the VK II is not what I expected, I'm keeping this amp. This is the first time I've ever had so many amps at once. But now I have the VK II MH, Peavey Bandit 112, Jet City JCA22H, and now a Marshall DSL40C. Yep, only thing left now is to hot rod my Reverend Buckshot with a Tele 4-way switch and put Rail Hammers in my Epi Explorer.

• 3 weeks later...

You got bad luck with amps DB, I have been kicking the hell out of one of those valve king 1X12 's since they first came out. Mine has had at least a six pack of budweiser poured through it, has been dropped, ran a Celestion 8ohm in it for awhile and is still kicking. One of the output tubes went micro phonic once at a gig but other than that no problems. It,s my leave at church amp now.

You got bad luck with amps DB, I have been kicking the hell out of one of those valve king 1X12 's since they first came out. Mine has had at least a six pack of budweiser poured through it, has been dropped, ran a Celestion 8ohm in it for awhile and is still kicking. One of the output tubes went micro phonic once at a gig but other than that no problems. It,s my leave at church amp now.

First series 1x12 had a problem blowing preamp tubes, but they do sound awesome!

Archived