Heritage Owners Club

Your Favorite Humbuckers. What makes them "better"?

Rod

After experimenting with the Sheptones, I installed a set of Gibson Burstbuckers with alnico 2 magnets in my H-150. For some reason I always go back to Burstbuckers as my favorite pickup. They just sound best to me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After experimenting with the Sheptones, I installed a set of Gibson Burstbuckers with alnico 2 magnets in my H-150. For some reason I always go back to Burstbuckers as my favorite pickup. They just sound best to me.

I think there's a great deal to be said for using something that you know well. It may not be "the best" but it is predictable and that makes it manageable.

Wow. In your last post you stated you liked A4's best, followed by unoriented A5's. Are you sure the Burstbuckers are A2's?

• 2 weeks later...

I like many here have swapped countless pickups in countless guitars (have owned at least 100 guitars). Some good pickups I prefer - Fralin Unbucker (designed for coil splits - but I don't split the coils with mine - I don't like the thin sound). They are similar in design to the Parsons Streets (which I have tried too). One coil is wound hotter than the other - and it sounds different than balanced coils. Pearly Gates and Seth Lovers are certainly good. DiMarzio PAFs sound great.

• 2 months later...

I really like the clean, clear Schaller Golden 50's pickups, so am considering buying the Stew-Mac Golden Age version, though I think I've read that they're made in S. Korea, and based more on the Kent Armstrong PAF. Might buy their Parsons Street Alnico II, instead, but might have an Alnico II put in the Golden Age, instead, since it's waxpotted...and because you have to buy the nickel cover with the Parsons...GA comes without a cover. Would I be better off just buying a used Schaller online?The only thins that I look for in a pickup are no howling, clarity, no muddiness, and not bright, or tinny. So, plain vanilla, with nothing scooped, sounds right for me. - Charles bevell

Archived