Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HFT-445

DetroitBlues

I learned a couple things today about my 445 that I didn't know before...

First, the back and sides are walnut, not mahogany.

Second, the neck is three piece maple, not mahogany

Third, the HFT-445 was originally a H-445, so I'm not clear why the name change

Fourth, the only difference between a 445 and 450 is the neck. Maple vs. Walnut.

Sounds rather dumb to not know this, but in case there might a few who didn't know, now you know.

The 1989 catalog lists both the H-445 and the H-450 as having a walnut finish on mahogany wood. With only the H-450, of those two, using solid mahogany.

And a maple neck on the 445 , mahogany neck on the 450 model.

gallery_10_153_51688.jpg

The 1989 catalog lists both the H-445 and the H-450 as having a walnut finish on mahogany wood. With only the H-450, of those two, using solid mahogany.

And a maple neck on the 445 , mahogany neck on the 450 model.

gallery_10_153_51688.jpg

Ah, my mistake on the body wood. My neck may indeed be maple, but t doesn't say here on the chart it's a three piece neck...

The 445 and 450 appear to be quite different. The first is a square shoulder dred like a Gibson Hummingbird or Martin D-28. The 450 appears to be a J-45 or
Advanced Jumbo slope shoulder type dred.

The 445 and 450 appear to be quite different. The first is a square shoulder dred like a Gibson Hummingbird or Martin D-28. The 450 appears to be a J-45 or

Advanced Jumbo slope shoulder type dred.

I really don't see the difference in the shape... I think the coloring is giving the wrong appearance.

I really don't see the difference in the shape... I think the coloring is giving the wrong appearance.

Huh...I immediately saw a Martin D (445) and J-45 (450) body shape on those. Are they the same body molds?

The only HFT-450 that I remember seeing here was the highly customized one that Brent had... it's a real beauty... Custom inlay and woods and a 5 piece flamed neck .

IMG_0368.jpgIMG_0385.jpg

I do remember that one. Very narrow, skinny neck. Not the greatest to play, but it looked awesome.

Is the 445 a laminate back and sides?

Supposedly yes. On their acoustics , Heritage will state "solid" mahogany in the specs if it is. You'll notice that in the specs from the catalog above they are specific about the top, rim and sides if it is solid.

And , of course, the body for the 445 was made in Canada by the company that makes Godin/ Seagull/ etc , and Heritage made the neck and finished.

The H-480 was all made in Kalamazoo... and I'd suspect the H-450 was also..( but I'm guessing on the 450 model ).

And , of course, the body for the 445 was made in Canada by the company that makes Godin/ Seagull/ etc , and Heritage made the neck and finished.

The H-480 was all made in Kalamazoo... and I'd suspect the H-450 was also..( but I'm guessing on the 450 model ).

the body origins change every year someone asks Marv... I seriously doubt they remember!

the body origins change every year someone asks Marv... I seriously doubt they remember!

Schundog has stated on the subject... "Jim told me at PSP a couple years ago that La-si-do in Canada made the 445 bodies. He went into specific detail about where they ate when they were up there making the deal. "

There was a time where the HOC thought that the bodies were made by Larrivee, but that seems to have been based on being told they were made in Canada but not that they stated the name of the company. The name La-si-do Guitars is a weird one to remember sometimes ( can't say if they still use that name ) , but Jim seems clear on this one. (it's doubtful that they would have saved much by having Larrivee make them vs. doing it themselves )

I find that the Heritage guys still have a good memory about past history when I've discussed any details with them at PSP.

Schundog has stated on the subject... "Jim told me at PSP a couple years ago that La-si-do in Canada made the 445 bodies. He went into specific detail about where they ate when they were up there making the deal. "

There was a time where the HOC thought that the bodies were made by Larrivee, but that seems to have been based on being told they were made in Canada but not that they stated the name of the company. The name La-si-do Guitars is a weird one to remember sometimes ( can't say if they still use that name ) , but Jim seems clear on this one. (it's doubtful that they would have saved much by having Larrivee make them vs. doing it themselves )

I find that the Heritage guys still have a good memory about past history when I've discussed any details with them at PSP.

Chris (Bolero) and I had the same conversation with Jim and Marv at PSP VI.(I've slept since then, it may have been me Chris and Brian)

This is a shot of Marv with my H-480 when I was picking up my H-357 (in the case on the floor). He told me he only made about ten of these and he personally did the entire guitar, body, neck, the whole shootin' match.

This 480 was allegedly owned by JP Moats. I took a day off of work and drove to Moulton Al. to buy it from a guy who claimed his father bought it from JP. Marv remarked " How the hell did JP get one of these without me knowing about it?"

I think Marv actually has a hint of a smile in this shot.

DSCF3871_zps094e4dc5.jpg

Archived