Heritage Owners Club

Fine tuning tailpiece

paulg510

PaulK~  Hey there and welcome. 

The 6 finger tailpiece will allow for subtle changes in string tension...more as the screws are tightened, lowering the 'finger', and less as they are loosened (raising a finger).

I've played a buddy's JS and loved the woody tone as well as the more unique 25" scale.

Currently one of my favorite gigging Gibbies is a Howard Roberts Fusion that I use as a back up for my H555.  It also has a 6 finger tailpiece and is great for its intended purpose.

Enjoy your Johnny Smith and play it in good health.

Man, I might have to dust off my MIT engineering degree to own this axe!  BTW guys, the main reason for buying this guitar: I never got over the loss of my original (1965 or so) Gibson JS.  In highschool, I saved, pimped, stole hubcaps, cleaned out dumpsters, sold lemonade...any thing I could to afford the $795 it cost, but I hadda have one.  After an allnight recording session, due to exhaustion and stupidity, I left the JS (and a Gretch Country Gentleman) in the car in the back seat!!!  Crashed for a coupla hours, came out, found my little triangle vent-window smashed and the guitars...happy memories.  Then got drafted, the Vietnam thing, got out and found myself married, starting a career with no time or wifey-patience for guitar caressing.  (The ultimatum was "It's ME or that GUITAR")  So, I essentially quit playing for some 40 years...what was I thinking?  Sorry for the tear-jerking biography, but the thought of owning something like my ole JS again just made me wax nostalgic.  PaulG510

• 4 years later...

I actually never use the harmonic at the 12th fret to intonate my guitars, though this is the way guitar techs commonly do it. I set the intonation completely by ear and intonate each string up through the 19th fret using fifths, thirds, and octaves. I have done it this way for years, but it's a little like piano tuning in that you have to really know what you're listening for as you make adjustments. The guitars play completely in tune all over the neck, with any irregularities distributed across the entire range of the instrument.

I do this too, and it help with using capos. It really does "spread the irregularities across the board"!

Archived