Heritage Owners Club

A very kind deed indeed

MartyGrass

I bought an 18" Johnny Smith last winter that was listed on the forum here by a new HOC member.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/25836-fs-heritage-johnny-smith/

The deal was completed in person a very long time ago. He mentioned that he had the guitar appraised by Gruhn's, but I didn't really think much about that.

So completely out of the blue today I received the certificate of appraisal. The guy found it and sent it to me.

The certificate has a very detailed analysis of the guitar, including all of the features that separate my guitar for the usual Johnny Smith Rose.

According to Gruhn's I paid a fair price.

But more importantly, I had a great conversation with him at a Subway's shop outside of Toledo, met a very interesting and decent person, and picked up a couple of nice guitars.

An odd thing about the transaction was what led up to it. We had a few phone calls and shared a bunch of emails. We found that we had a lot in common, both being guys raised in the Midwest in working class families during the same years. The day before we made the trip to do the transaction, two others became interested in getting one of his guitars, which I posted pix of on HOC. He called me and said he wouldn't sell it to anyone but me. I was not all that interested in it, but I told him I'd take a look.

When we met, I asked him about it. He said he just wanted me to have the guitar. He wanted me to have both of them. I had no money for the second guitar, but it was stunning. He took a check. That may not strike you as odd, but it is. I had never met him and my first contact with him was only days before. And I lived in another state.

I kept in touch with him for about 4 months and then we drifted apart, sadly as most people do. Then I got this Gruhn's certificate. I'm touched. Thank you, sir.

Here's Johnny!

P1010007_zps23fc11a7.jpg

Is that the Johnny Smith that is "more rose" than normal? Stunner, any way. What was the other guitar?

yes, it's the rosier than thou model.

Here are both of them together. Like a teenage couple, you can't keep them off of each other.

P1010001_zps9b11384d.jpg

Archived