Heritage Owners Club

HRW vs. Seth Lovers vs. ?? in hollowbody jazz boxes

ch99

Hi folks,

I am a newcomer here and basically a newcomer to electric hollowbody archtops...have been a fender or flattop guy all my life, til now.  Anyway, was wondering if anyone could comment on their preferences for pickups in archtops such as the H-575 or H-550, the HRW vs. the Seth Lovers vs. whatever else.  The tones I hear in my head to aim for are the rich fifties jazzy blues tones of guys like Ellis and Burrell, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

HRWs are VERY popular in Jazz boxes ( I had one installed in my Sweet 16).

They are very articulate, clear, but big sounding. Many will say that HRWs are a little brighter, but I have had both Seths & HRWs and I find the HRWs a tad warmer (but not muddy) with a little more output.

My dealer feels the HRWs are best pickups for Heritage archtops (yes even over Seths). I feel Seths have their place in a PAF setting on a 150 or 535/555.

Just my .02

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1899-Edit2.jpg[/img]

If you are looking for a true Herb Ellis tone, you should remember that he mostly used a laminated ES175 with single p'up in the neck, probably a Gibson PAF.    H575's are solid wood and will have a richer tone than a 175.  The 550 will be a bit closer to the 175 since I believe it is a laminate body. 

As for the pickups, you can't go wrong with either a Seth or HRW, but the latter may be tougher to find since they are not available as an aftermarket item from Heritage.  But someone here might have one to sell.

Good hunting!

I don't have either the HRW or the Seth on my archtops.  But I thought I'd butt in anways to confirm that Slate is right.  Ellis used a P-90 equiped ES-175 the entire time he played with OP.  Same with Jim Hall's early work with Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Giuffre, or Art Farmer.  Kenny used a variety of single coil pups (P-90 ES-175, custom L5C with a Charlie Christian, and a Dearmond equiped D'angelico) through the 50's and 60's.  Jay Wolfe was quoted somewhere saying Burrell told him the L5 is what appears on Midnight Blue.

I did have the Seth's on my old Les Paul and liked them very much. Here's some old jazz recordings I made with that gutiar:

http://www.myspace.com/lincolnparktrio

I just put a Duncan SH-2N Jazz pickup in the neck of a 575 to replace the HRW (I left the bridge pickup alone). 

Wow, what a difference in the clarity of my instrument!  I am playing big band rhythm, Freddy Green style stuff, and man, the

sound of this new pickup even got me positive comments from the band members.  Some of them thought I was cheating...... 

For reference, I am driving through a Roland Cube 60 on the acoustic emulation.

It was on sale at GC for sixty-five bucks last week.  A whole lot cheaper than a new amp!!

Hello all.

I just put a set of Lollar Imperials Regular Winds in my H575.  It screams.  Hot rod is how I would describe it.  Such an upgrade, in my opinion, to the stock Schallers that were previously in it.  I spent some time trying to find some used Low winds, but found these regular winds for $225, couldn't pass them up and thought I would give them a try. 

Though not the jazz sound that some may be looking for, I love the tone that I am getting from my baby now.

Cheers,

ck 

Archived