Heritage Owners Club

H150 w/ Spruce Top not chambered...

pcovers

I had started a thread last week about Throbak pickups and Heritage guitars, and in my search I found this H150 on Reverb with a spruce top instead of maple. Does not appear to be chambered, just mahogany/spruce but with Throbak 101 pickups:

https://reverb.com/item/184675-heritage-h-150-spruce-top-2013-osb

Any thoughts on this configuration. I have played a few spruce top solid body electrics that have been chambered, such as a Baker Robin Ford and a Hamer, but never seen this combination on an H150. Is this a never before combo by Heritage?

That guitar is for sale by HOC member and Heritage Dealer Skydog52. Drop him a line with all your questions. He is a great guy and well respected dealer.

That guitar is for sale by HOC member and Heritage Dealer Skydog52. Drop him a line with all your questions. He is a great guy and well respected dealer.

I didn't realize the seller was a member here. I corresponded with the seller on the guitar, but was interested in others experiences with this combination.

I know the signature Fender Robben Ford was chambered since it had a spruce top, I know because I used to own one. So I am not sure if the Baker Robben Ford was chambered or not. I also believe that spruce is very light in addition to being very soft. This can potentially lead to neck diving guitars. Almost every spruce electric guitar other than archtops that I have played had a considerable neck dive because the neck was heavier than the body. So you might want to ask about if the guitar is balance or has a neck dive when played with a strap on.

I know the signature Fender Robben Ford was chambered since it had a spruce top, I know because I used to own one. So I am not sure if the Baker Robben Ford was chambered or not. I also believe that spruce is very light in addition to being very soft. This can potentially lead to neck diving guitars. Almost every spruce electric guitar other than archtops that I have played had a considerable neck dive because the neck was heavier than the body. So you might want to ask about if the guitar is balance or has a neck dive when played with a strap on.

Yes, the Baker RF model was chambered like the Fender RF was. Others are similar like the spruce top Guild Bluesbird. The spruce top models had a solid spruce top that was carved like any other carved top and a chambered mahogany back. Just have not run a cross a solid carved spruce top on a solid mahogany back.

Try these Spruce guitars. 2011 Spruce top Mille DC, 2014 Spruce back H170 and what the heck just for grins a 2013 Fender CS 1956 Spruce Strat.

I'm guessing the Millie DC is chambered. What about the fender?

So what affect would a thick, solid spruce top have on tone?

I'm only familiar with spruce used in full hollow guitars.

Well, considering Spruce has a warmer, rounder tone than the brighter Maple tone, a spruce cap on a mahogany body would be warmer than a maple cap on a mahogny body guitar.

Bill Comins recognized the sonic benefits of Spruce topped, chambered body (Sapelle) in his sweet toned GCS-1ES ('Ebony Spruce') model. He designed it for jazz players seeking a more traditional, thick tone, but in a small package. They look and play similar to a Benedetto Benny.

http://www.cominsguitars.com/comins-craft-series/gcs-1es#

GCS1ES-Vintage-Blond.png

+1 for Skydog52. He's a real standup guy.

Archived