Heritage Owners Club

Roland releases JC-40

Single channel (the channel I actually used with my 120). 2x10". 35 lbs. 40w.

The only concern I'd have for my uses would be the hiss commonly associated with these amps. It isn't just blow your mind loud like you'd get with a high gain monster like a 5150 but it is definitely noticeable if you play quieter music.

There were reasons why I kept the Cube over the JC120. Size. Weight. Hiss. ...but also because although the Cube's JC Clean channel did a REALLY nice model of the JC... it did sound a little warmer. A little rounder. I made-do with the JC in that way by using the effects channel, cracking open the distortion to its lowest non-off setting, doing the same with the vib and that really helped warm it up some.

If they address the hiss for this one... I would certainly like to take another look. :)

jc_40_front_gal.jpg

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-40/

I like the fact that it has true stereo chorus in such a small package. With only 40 watts however, I wonder if it can hang in anything but rehearsals or a low volume jazz band.

Here it is with its big brother:

promo_40_years_jc.jpg

I like the fact that it has true stereo chorus in such a small package. With only 40 watts however, I wonder if it can hang in anything but rehearsals or a low volume jazz band.

Here it is with its big brother:

promo_40_years_jc.jpg

Well consider this... 40w but into two speakers. I bet it would hang with my 80w 112 Cube alright. I'd imagine it'd do alright in a moderately loud jazz band. Certainly good for more intimate settings. I just wonder if they've tamed the hiss the JC120 is well known for. The Cube is pretty quiet on the JC setting. Another reason I preferred it.

Good to see this, I was thinking on buying the JC50 on ebay but now that i know about this I´m gonna wait and check this one!

Thank you for the info!

Absolutely. I am just hoping they've addressed the hiss. If they've done that... I will SERIOUSLY consider this as it will have answered every gripe I had about the JC120... as few as they were.

• 2 weeks later...

was the hiss a problem with the original JC120s from decades ago? I would have thought they could track it down by now if that's the case.

It got better but it was still very noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ive got two jc 90's both with 2 10's. and ive got a 63 deluxe with a jbl k series 12 and a 73 deluxe with a jenson concert series 12, a 300 dollar speaker, for jazz, i take the rolands every time, they are great.

Archived