Heritage Owners Club

vs. PRS

Conneazoo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess the top one Hangar. That was a new one on me too.

Interesting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Correct, look at the moons and look at the top curve. They match. Shawn at PRS told us how they are intended to be the same.

Back around 2008, the top three biggest reasons that got me to defect from Gibson over to Heritage were the wooden finger rests, real Mother of Pearl inlay and a price which was half what Gibson guitars were going for. Finger rests? Really? Um, yea. They did it for me, especially seeing a whole line of them in a row at the guitar store. I got bit by the Heritage bug bad.

H-150-deluxe-seths-1745.jpg

Yes I like PRS too. A lot. But I'm still bit by both bugs. Heritage and PRS.

Back around 2008, the top three biggest reasons that got me to defect from Gibson over to Heritage were the wooden finger rests, real Mother of Pearl inlay and a price which was half what Gibson guitars were going for. Finger rests? Really? Um, yea. They did it for me, especially seeing a whole line of them in a row at the guitar store. I got bit by the Heritage bug bad.

Yes I like PRS too. A lot. But I'm still bit by both bugs. Heritage and PRS.

Woof! Beautiful!

Finger rests? Really? Um, yea.

That's funny as hell Danny. I was firmly ensconced in the semi vein, I owned a MIJ early 80's Washburn HB-35. Wonderful old guitar on par with Tokai's and Yamahas, etc. I had often picked up Cherry ES-335's at Guitar Denter, and was absolutely at peace with the fact that my "import" semi was a better guitar than anything I could find coming out of Nashville. One day I was walking through a well known guitar centric pawn shop on Chicago's northside, like I did regularly, a la Schundog, treating the place more like a petting zoo for rare and exotic animals than a store.

this time, I'm doing my standard perusal along the west wall, and WTFIT??!?!? (what the f*** is that) This beautiful finish on a typically proportioned semi...but what's with that gorgeous finger rest?!?!? Eye shoots the headstock....hmmm....never heard of it. I pull it of the wall...and it was like Jim Carey in Mask....it was my guitar. The weight, the way it rested in my hands, the neck, the action, the way it sounded acoustically. I knew within 60 seconds I'd own the guitar. I went home and did some reading, which only made me more excited (the Heritage story was new to me) For me it was a chunk of change and demanded rearranging some priorities and finagaling a trade on a few odds and ends with the shop owner. It was the most expensive guitar I'd ever owned. Since then others, with higher price points have come and gone, now I own but a single electric, and it's that 535.

it had me at finger rest.

(pickguard, in my cave, but I'll allow it.)

That's funny as hell Danny. I was firmly ensconced in the semi vein, I owned a MIJ early 80's Washburn HB-35. Wonderful old guitar on par with Tokai's and Yamahas, etc. I had often picked up Cherry ES-335's at Guitar Denter, and was absolutely at peace with the fact that my "import" semi was a better guitar than anything I could find coming out of Nashville. One day I was walking through a well known guitar centric pawn shop on Chicago's northside, like I did regularly, a la Schundog, treating the place more like a petting zoo for rare and exotic animals than a store.

this time, I'm doing my standard perusal along the west wall, and WTFIT??!?!? (what the f*** is that) This beautiful finish on a typically proportioned semi...but what's with that gorgeous finger rest?!?!? Eye shoots the headstock....hmmm....never heard of it. I pull it of the wall...and it was like Jim Carey in Mask....it was my guitar. The weight, the way it rested in my hands, the neck, the action, the way it sounded acoustically. I knew within 60 seconds I'd own the guitar. I went home and did some reading, which only made me more excited (the Heritage story was new to me) For me it was a chunk of change and demanded rearranging some priorities and finagaling a trade on a few odds and ends with the shop owner. It was the most expensive guitar I'd ever owned. Since then others, with higher price points have come and gone, now I own but a single electric, and it's that 535.

it had me at finger rest.

(pickguard, in my cave, but I'll allow it.)

Great story Kip! I think you just coined the slogan for the next Heritage Guitar T-shirt. "You had me at Finger Rest". hahaha

Had a couple PRS guitars, a McCarty and a Starla. I thought the Starla was a better execution of an SG style guitar. I couldn't bond with the McCarty. The neck shape was unusual to me. I did like their factory pickups. I was chasing a Heritage in both cases and did find them easier to sell then those times I decide to part with a Heritage. They seem to hold their value (why I don't know) but at the end of the day, I prefer the Heritage (as well as strats and teles).

RhoadsScholar, I hear what you are saying about the pickups. The ones in this new PRS are the 57/08 that so many people like but I find them too tame. I also find that about most any wax potted pickup too. Theses would be great in an archtop because they are very clear and articulate but for a solid body playing classic rock and blues I need raw and nasty to drive the amp and get a little feed back.

I've owned 2 PRSi. Would have no problem owning more. They are what they are. Some great, some not. I've had the pleasure of owning what I think were 2 great ones (of course, why else would I have them?) ;)

My 2nd PRS was a McCarty Rosewood (McRosie). Probably the most balanced tone guitar I've ever owned. I sold it, don't recall why. But I think it was to buy a Heritage. I think.

bod1.jpgfull-front1.jpg

My first PRS was (is?) a 1995 PRS CE24. It's a bit of an anomaly in that it has MoP Birds and a small heel. When I bought it I had Dragons installed with a 3 way switch, and a Pull/Rotary pot in place of the tone control. Pull to split the neck, rotate to split the the bridge. Loved this guitar. Well, still do, it's the one I've kept. Pics I have don't do it justice, as they are a bit washed out.

PRS1a.jpg

PRS2a.jpg

PRS3a.jpg

Well, obviously that did not work. Maybe, I was getting ready to reply to someone else.

The operative word is DOOOOOOO!

(Sorry about dooooooosh. Yeah. That was for somebody else. Sorry.....)

K' bye........ :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Had a couple PRS guitars, a McCarty and a Starla. I thought the Starla was a better execution of an SG style guitar. I couldn't bond with the McCarty. The neck shape was unusual to me. I did like their factory pickups. I was chasing a Heritage in both cases and did find them easier to sell then those times I decide to part with a Heritage. They seem to hold their value (why I don't know) but at the end of the day, I prefer the Heritage (as well as strats and teles).

You had a Mira at one time, as well. :)

PRS guitars are the Swiss army knife of guitars. They capable of getting very close to all the different tonal pallets from the iconic guitars (from LPs to SGs to Straty to Tele-ish tones, especially with the coil tap). I think they are great guitars and one thing is undeniable.... they are the most consistent production guitars made. From fit & finish, to playability, PRS guitars are the most consistent from lot to lot.

Archived