Heritage Owners Club

vs. PRS

Conneazoo

Just had to show you my Private Stock DGT. Grissom himself approved it and said it would be his number 2. I think PRS and Heritage are two different animals and like them both for their own strengths. Variety is the spice of life!

I think the DGT is the one model that Ive had an unrequited GAS for. Ive played any I could get my hands on and always really liked them.

Yours looks great!!!

I just cant seem to commit to another PRS. Loved the ME I had instantly but over a short while I found it to be the wrong guitar for me. Same with the CU22, McCarty and it took me 2x to learn the SAS was not me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Lawdy......

Seems it's gittin real now huh? Whats we gon doo?

We could start comparing cheap Ibanez's to what I imagine we are talking about.

What I find funny is here I am after the PRSi, CS strats, Tom Andersons and what ever else Ive dragged home, playing 3 cheap Ibanez's and Ive sold off all the "premium" stuff. The premium stuff. DIDNT. MAKE. THE. GRADE.

These cheap pieces of wood, steel and plastic rock!!!

and because I have mojo they sound even better!!.... ;)

Just kidding, I dont actually believe the whole "mojo" concept.

We could start comparing cheap Ibanez's to what I imagine we are talking about.

What I find funny is here I am after the PRSi, CS strats, Tom Andersons and what ever else Ive dragged home, playing 3 cheap Ibanez's and Ive sold off all the "premium" stuff. The premium stuff. DIDNT. MAKE. THE. GRADE.

These cheap pieces of wood, steel and plastic rock!!!

and because I have mojo they sound even better!!.... ;)

Just kidding, I dont actually believe the whole "mojo" concept.

Yep. No such thing as mojo. It's all in the guitar. hahaha

https://youtu.be/600ykNF3md4

I'm going to sell all my guitars now. hahaha j/k

I owned a PRS in the early 90s. It was beautiful with an emeral green quilted top and had the sweet switch. The guitar was made in '91 I believe so now it would be quite desirable, pre giant neck heel, really hand made, sweet switch, etc... I could not bond with the guitar though. I'm a 150, 535 player through and through. The PRS was too much strat and not enough LP/150. The guitar was very nice and well built and sounded exceptional but did not feel right to me. The original PRS design is so different to the H stuff that it's apples and oranges.

Now there are compatibles to Heritage. The single cut guitars are their LP or 150 style guitar and here is my probably too ill informed comparison. My opinion on tone starts at the neck and neck joint to body. I think the great tone of my H150 gt is all focused there. The way the mortise and tenon are cut I beleive helps create the tone of the guitar. The joint in the PRS single cut is different than the traditional LP/150 type. The neck does not have a tenon cut into it but rather terminates as a square end the full width of the neck and slightly thicker. It looks more like a fender style neck. This is then glued into a neck pocket routed into the body. The cut away side of the neck is exposed like a fender too. This style is used by many other makers out there like Collings, Mcinturff, knags,etc. the difference being the other makers have more body in the cut away surrounding the neck joint. The PRS has better access with less surround, but, the neck extends only about 1.5-2 inches past the cut away area. The others have at least one inch or more body on that side. I think this does two things, (This is opinion) it sacrifices some tone acoustically and sacrifices some strength. I have played all the afore mentioned guitars and found the PRS's that I have strummed to have little character. I must admit that I have only played one Mcinturff Carolina Custome and One Knaggs but both were guitars I would love to own and I am not swayed by looks just acoustic tone and feel of electric guitars. I have played a many different PRS single cut models both the American and Korean made models. The only one that was ok to me was a 245 SE. On the other hand the 150s and 140s I have picked up, most of them have sounded pretty good. The quality and aesthetics of the PRS guitars is always too notch but tone is more important to me.

There is a thin peice of wood that is under the neck joint and terminates at the heel. With out much body on the cut away side it appears to be a vulnerable spot to be broken. This is my ill informed part of my opinion as I do not have any proof that it is in fact weak but I do not trust it. In the end I would turn to Heritage or others for a LP style guitar long before a PRS. Of course when price Is factored in the Heritage cannot be beat.

Being a lover of authentic "Vintage tones" I just can't play a PRS. I have tried, although not lately, and I just can't warm to the thinner tone. I should try some newer one's as mentioned above. I have had this discussion with many players over the years and most feel the same. Fine Guitar, but just can't get "that tone."

I remember being at NAMM about 20 years ago and Paul and Carlos Santana asked me to keep a lookout for 2 stolen personal favorite PRS's of Carlos. Carlos handed me a descriptive sheet with case no, police contact and a list of features. It was quite "telling" to read that both were "3/8" more body thickness than a std. Santana version. This of course told me that Carlos had the same issue I had with them. "That Tone" man. (Paul told me the Guitars were recovered from an LA pawn shop.

I realize we all do not want the same tone, so I'm generalizing here.

Carvin v. PRS is where the real contest is, at least at the Carvin forum.

I have a Carvin CT4 all mahogany body with hog neck and ebony board. My "poor man's PRS" plays like a dream and provides the perfect sound between LP/150s and strat/teles. If anything, it leans toward the former in warmer tone, while being much lighter in weight.

Never played PRS guitars very much, but feel I don't really need to, since I have a broad range of solid body guitars. What I really want is a 525/530/535 with P-90s or Seths anyway.

Carvin v. PRS is where the real contest is, at least at the Carvin forum.

I have a Carvin CT4 all mahogany body with hog neck and ebony board. My "poor man's PRS" plays like a dream and provides the perfect sound between LP/150s and strat/teles. If anything, it leans toward the former in warmer tone, while being much lighter in weight.

Never played PRS guitars very much, but feel I don't really need to, since I have a broad range of solid body guitars. What I really want is a 525/530/535 with P-90s or Seths anyway.

There are certain apparent similarities between Carvin and PRS but I think the biggest difference is the way that PRS prepares the wood. If you let a piece of milled wood sit around for 100 years, the water in the wood which was present in the wood since the time it was still growing in the forest is still in the process of evaporating from the wood, even as much as 100 years later. As the water evaporates, the sap in the wood crystallizes and the shape of the wood changes during this century long drying process. What PRS does that Carvin doesn't do it this.. they use a top secret kiln drying method which gets the wood to 100 years worth of natural drying in about two weeks or so. Then, when they carve a neck (for instance) they remove a little wood and let it sit, at which time the wood may adjust it's shape a little bit. Then they remove a little more wood and let it sit. The reasoning for all this effort is 1, removing water from the wood and crystallizing the sap in the wood allows the wood to vibrate (resonate) more freely. 2. Allowing the wood to change it's shape first and THEN carve the neck ensures that the neck will never warp and that it will stay perfectly straight for countless decades. Most guitars on the market are about 10% water while PRS likes to get the water content of the wood down to the very low single digits. This concept is one of the reasons why really old violins sound really great is because the sap in the wood has been crystallizing for a very long time. I also think that they don't use water based glues either and even then only as little glue as is necessary to join the pieces of wood.

I agree that the PRS body thickness makes it sound different than the Heritage/Gibson builds. The H has that growl that people have sought throughout recent musical history. But, I hear a unique and quality tone from the PRS that is it's own. I didn't want my PRS to sound like a Heritage or Gibson. I have a Heritage for that. When I want that strong bottom end I pull out the H150. I play the PRS for the strong midrange and plenty of harmonic content. I've found that the amp makes more difference than the guitar if I've got any real gain going. If I'm playing with just a little grit on the amp the PRS really shines. If I want to do Slash, I need the 150.

I have got to the point where with my budget, a guitar is a working tool at this point in time. If I needed to use my 555 for best performance, I would use it. If needed to use a PRS (assuming I had one) I would do so.

I think they are both fine instruments and would love to own more of both Heritage and get a nice PRS. Out of interest, a wide fat neck does it for me.

... a wide fat neck does it for me.

PRS now calls the Wide Fat neck carves "Pattern" , as in "Pattern", "Pattern Regular", "Pattern Thin".

Looks like Anterton's is a 5 hour drive from you at 58-59 Woodbridge Road, Guildford GU1 4RF

hahaha

• 1 month later...

I owned a PRS in the early 90s. It was beautiful with an emeral green quilted top and had the sweet switch. The guitar was made in '91 I believe so now it would be quite desirable, pre giant neck heel, really hand made, sweet switch, etc... I could not bond with the guitar though. I'm a 150, 535 player through and through. The PRS was too much strat and not enough LP/150. The guitar was very nice and well built and sounded exceptional but did not feel right to me. The original PRS design is so different to the H stuff that it's apples and oranges.

Now there are compatibles to Heritage. The single cut guitars are their LP or 150 style guitar and here is my probably too ill informed comparison. My opinion on tone starts at the neck and neck joint to body. I think the great tone of my H150 gt is all focused there. The way the mortise and tenon are cut I beleive helps create the tone of the guitar. The joint in the PRS single cut is different than the traditional LP/150 type. The neck does not have a tenon cut into it but rather terminates as a square end the full width of the neck and slightly thicker. It looks more like a fender style neck. This is then glued into a neck pocket routed into the body. The cut away side of the neck is exposed like a fender too. This style is used by many other makers out there like Collings, Mcinturff, knags,etc. the difference being the other makers have more body in the cut away surrounding the neck joint. The PRS has better access with less surround, but, the neck extends only about 1.5-2 inches past the cut away area. The others have at least one inch or more body on that side. I think this does two things, (This is opinion) it sacrifices some tone acoustically and sacrifices some strength. I have played all the afore mentioned guitars and found the PRS's that I have strummed to have little character. I must admit that I have only played one Mcinturff Carolina Custome and One Knaggs but both were guitars I would love to own and I am not swayed by looks just acoustic tone and feel of electric guitars. I have played a many different PRS single cut models both the American and Korean made models. The only one that was ok to me was a 245 SE. On the other hand the 150s and 140s I have picked up, most of them have sounded pretty good. The quality and aesthetics of the PRS guitars is always too notch but tone is more important to me.

There is a thin peice of wood that is under the neck joint and terminates at the heel. With out much body on the cut away side it appears to be a vulnerable spot to be broken. This is my ill informed part of my opinion as I do not have any proof that it is in fact weak but I do not trust it. In the end I would turn to Heritage or others for a LP style guitar long before a PRS. Of course when price Is factored in the Heritage cannot be beat.

They are a cross between a gibb and a strat. There finish are a work of art . The newer line of pickups are stellar . I once downed a sc22 and a custom 22. Although the prs beat the gibb in those departments . The prs lacked in the soul dept. that issue has changed for the better. Which is better is up to you . The les Paul guitars have tone . Fit and finish lacks against are so swell. I would take a prs again.(if possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I tried to quote my earlier post but fail miserably at the execution, so here is what I was going to write in it.

I must apologize to the PRS community. I recently went back home to Memphis and when I do I always hit the guitar shops. This time I was interested in playing a bunch of 150 style guitars with the single piece back neck and humbuckers recipe. Unfortunately not a single 150 was to be found in my day of perusing. I did play a bunch of LPs, a Collings CL and a Knaggs. Non of them could do what my 150 does for me. After about 6 different guitars filtering through my hands the shop owner said I should try a certain PRS SC245 on the wall. I agreed and now I own it. WTF? I JUST BOUGHT A PRS?!! After the negative critique I gave? Yup, this thing sounds just like my 150 (tone is always judged acoustically) only with more resonance. I played it for an hour and could not walk away. I played other ones too but this one had what I needed. I did not go in with intent to buy at all! It is the loudest electric I have ever played in 34 years of playing and I've had my hands on so many different guitars over the years. So in the end I've eaten my words and am humbled by the experience and do apologize to PRS and the loyal crowds.

I must apologize to the PRS community. .... I played it for an hour and could not walk away. I played other ones too but this one had what I needed. I did not go in with intent to buy at all! It is the loudest electric I have ever played in 34 years of playing and I've had my hands on so many different guitars over the years. So in the end I've eaten my words and am humbled by the experience and do apologize to PRS and the loyal crowds.

We forgive you. Your experience is not unique. It is also not unique to PRS. I've had a similar experience playing my H150. When a guitar speaks to you, you buy it. Like us, I'm glad you found a PRS you had to have. Play it with a smile!

So I tried to quote my earlier post but fail miserably at the execution, so here is what I was going to write in it.

I must apologize to the PRS community. I recently went back home to Memphis and when I do I always hit the guitar shops. This time I was interested in playing a bunch of 150 style guitars with the single piece back neck and humbuckers recipe. Unfortunately not a single 150 was to be found in my day of perusing. I did play a bunch of LPs, a Collings CL and a Knaggs. Non of them could do what my 150 does for me. After about 6 different guitars filtering through my hands the shop owner said I should try a certain PRS SC245 on the wall. I agreed and now I own it. WTF? I JUST BOUGHT A PRS?!! After the negative critique I gave? Yup, this thing sounds just like my 150 (tone is always judged acoustically) only with more resonance. I played it for an hour and could not walk away. I played other ones too but this one had what I needed. I did not go in with intent to buy at all! It is the loudest electric I have ever played in 34 years of playing and I've had my hands on so many different guitars over the years. So in the end I've eaten my words and am humbled by the experience and do apologize to PRS and the loyal crowds.

Another victim falls to the mighty SC245. :icon_salut:

Have always thought they were just freakin' gorgeous, particularly the McCarty's. As I became personally immersed in guitars, things like the inlays appeared more and more garish to me, but they're still gorgeous. That 594 being a case in point. Never played one however.

singlecut_594_2017_straight1_zpssxma4nt3

Have always thought they were just freakin' gorgeous, particularly the McCarty's. As I became personally immersed in guitars, things like the inlays appeared more and more garish to me, but they're still gorgeous. That 594 being a case in point. Never played one however.

singlecut_594_2017_straight1_zpssxma4nt3

Originally the birds were an optional accessory. Paul's mother was a avid birdwatcher and he grew up surrounded by photo books of birds as a result of his mother's hobby. On his early guitars, the dots (moons as PRS calls them) were standard. He only made a few guitars with the bird inlay (traced from his mother's books) thinking that no one would ever want a guitar with bird inlay. He has told the story a number of times how he was shocked when people kept demanding the bird inlay on PRS guitars. He's also said many times that he'll only make what people will buy. People stop buying it, they'll stop making it. Not his fault really. The people want the birds, so the people get birds.

As a side to inlays, the moons on PRS are actually moons. They're made out of two different materials, one of them being shaped like a crescent.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To add to that aside, the crescent moon has the same contour as the curve in the headstock, by design. You may think that fact is somewhat OCD, but that is Paul.

To add to that aside, the crescent moon has the same contour as the curve in the headstock, by design. You may think that fact is somewhat OCD, but that is Paul.

Nice. One could certainly say OCD.

I prefer ATD. Attention To Detail.

[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived