Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H-140 pickups?

jerichothedrifter

My H140 has a "C" serial number, which I guess makes it an '85 or '86 model.  What were the stock humbuckers in those guitars? Schallers?

that is a pretty safe bet on the Schallers...if the pickups have 4 adjustment screws they are schallers

:this_thread_is_useless_withou

probably schallers,

but this raises an interesting point - HRWs are probably rewound schallers, right- so do they typically have 4 screws ? (they have a sticker on the back -)

what yr did they start the hrws?

I think my sweat finally corroded the bridge pickup to the point where it doesn't have hardly any output.  My tech said that Schallers might be sealed or wax-potted or something where they can't be rewound.  What's a good PAF-style replacement humbucker?  I was thinking maybe a Duncan...

I think Duncan's are great for the money.  There are many more if you have the cash to spend.  WCR's, Throbak, Sheptone, Wolfetone, Bare Knuckle....and so on.  I really like the Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups.  They sound great. Depends on the type of music you play also.  Oh and.............

:this_thread_is_useless_withou

that is a pretty safe bet on the Schallers...if the pickups have 4 adjustment screws they are schallers...

My '88 H-140 has Schallers but with only two screws each on chrome rings.

Schallers don't get enough respect. My 140 sounds better than my Les Paul, even with Schaller (old style) pickups and Schaller hardware (roller bridge and big ol' tailpiece/anchor.

I had a H-575 with the HRW's and they are mighty nice too. Rendall Wall designed 'em and schaller builds them. They are easy to spot with a little brass washer under each corner of the ring/mount.

Most Schaller/Heritage guitars I've seen have four adjustment screws too, but oddly mine does not. Clearly labelled Schaller underneath though, and sound fine.

I always thought StewMac "Golden Era" humbuckers were Schallers too?

It's this 'un:

width=360 height=480http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll311/jericho60_photo/jericho%20gear/DSCF0066.jpg?[/img]

width=360 height=480http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll311/jericho60_photo/jericho%20gear/DSCF0068.jpg?[/img]

you'll notice that I had to swap that original roller bridge for a tunamatic years ago...the orig got too corroded to adjust anymore

Wow, I know the Good Book says "you shall not covet another man's..." but this time I find hard, very hard to abide! :P :P :P even without neck binding!

I just imagine her slippin' into somethin' more confortable, like a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity's and...ahem..."pluggin' her into a well oak aged and mature Marshall half stack 50W (chocolatey and robust, my friend!) with only the aid of a Fulltone FD2 (or a Keeley modded DS1!)...and the evenin' will be ours!

Than there would be a lot of screamin', whisperin', and everythin' in between! 8)

Seriously, I don't get the "Relic" phenomenon at all, I think it's all Marketin' bull$!$ and mind games, but to see a well "lived" genuine guitar like that, and obviously a very well constructed one, as we all know, it's nothin' short of inspirin': it makes me feel like rollin' Clapton, Bloomfield, Duane & Page all into one and wail for days, as part of the afore mentioned scenario, of course! :wink:

...and the evenin' will be ours!

Than there would be a lot of screamin', whisperin', and everythin' in between!...it makes me feel like rollin' Clapton, Bloomfield, Duane & Page all into one and wail for days, as part of the afore mentioned scenario, of course...

I dunno. Sound sorta icky!

Don' get any on ya!

;D

Wow, I know the Good Book says "you shall not covet another man's..." but this time I find hard, very hard to abide! :P :P :P even without neck binding!

I just imagine her slippin' into somethin' more confortable, like a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity's and...ahem..."pluggin' her into a well oak aged and mature Marshall half stack 50W (chocolatey and robust, my friend!) with only the aid of a Fulltone FD2 (or a Keeley modded DS1!)...and the evenin' will be ours!

Than there would be a lot of screamin', whisperin', and everythin' in between! 8)

Seriously, I don't get the "Relic" phenomenon at all, I think it's all Marketin' bull$!$ and mind games, but to see a well "lived" genuine guitar like that, and obviously a very well constructed one, as we all know, it's nothin' short of inspirin': it makes me feel like rollin' Clapton, Bloomfield, Duane & Page all into one and wail for days, as part of the afore mentioned scenario, of course! :wink:

Been playing with your guitar under the sheets again ?

;D

i'd say p-rails and some push-pull pots will get you a nice country tone. that's what i been feellin' with my 140. will try to post some long-overdue tone reports and photos

This guitar is a 140, isn't it?  I'm not real sure what the difference is between a 140 and a 150.

Also...years ago I was in a Music-Go-Round in Louisville where I ran across a gold top heritage LP style with cream colored P-90 soapbar pickups.  What model is that??

(theyy had it priced at $500)

What I LOVE about these guitars is that the word is, for the most part, still not out on em and you can still score Heritage solidbodies at reasonable prices.  To me, my 140 spanks a lot of Gipson LPs and flat-out destroys every Epiphone LP I ever played.

This guitar is a 140, isn't it?  I'm not real sure what the difference is between a 140 and a 150.

About half an inch... ;D

Of solid mahogany that is. The 150/157 is thicker than the 140 (though there are some inch and three quarter 150's but that's another story).

One advantage of the 140 is that you may save money in doctors bills for the hernia operation ;D

On the other hand, in my experience (I own both) the 150/7 has more sustain and to me at least that's a big part of what an "LP" is about :wink:

Of the "slimmer" Heritages I'd say the 170 was a better bet as it has a double cut away and therefore better fret access. (I've never owned a 170 though so someone else may be able to give you a better opinion)

Hmmm... I've been thinking... :P

Does anyone know if the difference in thickness between the 150/7 and the 140/170 is entirely the mahogany or is perhaps the maple cap a different thickness too?

I LOVE MY 140 TO DEATH!!!

You must if you still own her! :P

I hope to see this 140 at PSPII ! (yes I said hoping to)

the 3 Heritages that are in my sig right now are gonna stay

i may just add 1 or 2 in the near future :rolleyes:

You are raising the stakes with that comment. But Vegas wasn't built by fools!  :P

BTW, I hope things work out so you can get a couple more (or maybe that Frankensh*t- come on, you know you want it!)

Archived