Heritage Owners Club

Oxidation / Outgassing

scottb630

FXDXT (2003) looks like a rambler rides and accelerates like a Maserati.   :snorting:

Hey, a fellow fxdx'r - cool!  Welcome to HOC, Scott.  Love those red 535s - great looking guitar you have there.  Reading thru the post, I thought 'case', too, but sounds like a standard heritage case and from the replies doesn't sound like others have experiened this.  I've 3 heritages in those cases in Mn (extreme humidty and temp changes) and haven't experienced this either.  And even if it were the case adhesive outgassing, why react with just the wood pickguard and not the finish on the guitar itself?...  Puzzling.  not sure that root cause has emerged in this discussion yet, although the case suggestions by fiddler and cryo seem on the right order.  Without anything else in the case pocket that could be suspect, would seem the that case adhesive to be the lead item to check.  What year guitar/case is it?  And curious, are those 59s (pickups)?

Yes,  those are Duncan 59's ... GREAT sound in this guitar!

It's a 2006 guitar and case that I bought in the beginning of 2007 from Guitar Adoptions.  It has a (V) 2005 serial number, but wasn't finished until 2006, from my understanding.

The more I read, the more I am thinking this might be as simple as I put the guitar away on a very humid day, somehow the case closed air tight and that moisture just attacked all the metal.  The pickguard may have always had that slight smokey black look to it and I just never noticed it. I don't usually look at pickguards that close (maybe for dig marks to see if someone has poor pick control). It maybe the wood grain I can see through the black lacquer.

The only things in the case pocket are; a new set of strings (always), the key to the case (hmmm), and the old nut.

Yes,  those are Duncan 59's ... GREAT sound in this guitar!

It's a 2006 guitar and case that I bought in the beginning of 2007 from Guitar Adoptions.  It has a (V) 2005 serial number, but wasn't finished until 2006, from my understanding.

The more I read, the more I am thinking this might be as simple as I put the guitar away on a very humid day, somehow the case closed air tight and that moisture just attacked all the metal.  The pickguard may have always had that slight smokey black look to it and I just never noticed it. I don't usually look at pickguards that close (maybe for dig marks to see if someone has poor pick control). It maybe the wood grain I can see through the black lacquer.

The only things in the case pocket are; a new set of strings (always), the key to the case (hmmm), and the old nut.

That's my thoughts as well. I told you how doing that extremely affect the action on my acoustic. So much my acoustic luthier said it was a "wet" guitar in December.

Yeah Kuz, from a logical point of view, it makes the most sense. Otherwise I think others with this same year would be seeing a similar problem.  I'll put the case in the furnace room for a few days (it's warm and dry). Then I close some Silica in the case for a few more days (that should dry it all out).  Once I know it's dry, I'll put the guitar back in the case and see how it does.

Thanks all!!

Archived