Heritage Owners Club

Greeny Tone Report

Kuz

INCREDIBLE!!! She sounds as good as she looks.

She weighs in at about 9.5lbs and I will go the grave believing that the slightly heavier guitars have the TONE!!! Great highs, mids, & lows with no mud. VERY resonate and responsive. My 150 GT with Lollar imperials is 9lbs and it could be the pickups (the both have Lollar imperials) but the 150GT doesn't have the resonance or airyness of Greeny. Don't get me wrong the 150 GT isn't going anywhere so don't ask.

Heritage has started using new pots (all 500K - both Vol & Tone) but they are harder to turn. The interesting thing is that my 535 p-90 1st production has the same pots (she is a slightly heavier too) and has the same open response, airyness, and sustain. My 150GT has old pots that turn well, but maybe this is part of the tone difference. I have to set the pickups much lower in Greeny because they seem to have more output (even though they are supposed to be the same as the 150 GT where the pups are raised higher)

I love the de-gassed A5 magnets in the Lollar imperials. They have a much warmer creamier break up than the A2.

Well Greeny has very low action, perfect neck, great pups, and cosmetically perfect. The neck needs a little work, but is still gig ready now. The frets are flawless with no sharp areas and no file markets.

All Greeny needs is more blues licks.... I'm working on those!

As a side bar.. the 1963 Gibson Falcon is unfreaking believable!!! You guys know I have some great combos, but this Falcon is the Sh*t. It has a HUGE FAT tone, the best verb & tremelo I have ever heard, and they are dirt cheap: $350!! :wink:  Many people quickly learning that just cause it doesn't have Fender on it, doesn't mean it isn't a killer amp. 15 watts of pure love, check one out!!

Eye candy..

Greeny & the Falcon

th_Greeny2.jpg

150 GT

th__DSC2166-Editweb.jpg

you suck..  and I mean that in the very best way..Ie jellous as hell . nice tone report brother..

I love it. I must be doing something right!!! ;D

Sounds great!!! Does the Greeny have a 'ebony' fingerboard??? It seems to be!

My Gibson Heritage 1982 has also have a ebony fingerboard. That keeps the tone not 'too muddy'.

NO, ebony fingerboard. I like ebony on my acoustics, but don't want ebony on the electrics. I LOVE the warmth of rosewood. Greeny has a wonderful dark chocolate rosewood board with some nice figuring. I even custom ordered my 555 with the 555 inlays on a mahogany neck & rosewood fingerboard to get that warmth.(see pic). This is just my opinion of course, I'm sure your guitar is great.

th_MYPreciousjpg.jpg

Nice tone report, John.  Again, congrats on a well thought out guitar.  Your Heritage collection is really quite impressive. 

I agree w/you on Gibson amps from the 40s to 60s - just excellent tones and a 'well kept secret' in values.  I've 2 gibbys, a 52 gibsonette and a 56 GA6 and use them both depending on the room size.  They never fail to get a 'wow thats good tone' from guit-players. 

Very nice guitar Kuz, I've thought about flipping the magnet and turning my bridge pickup around in my 150.  I've had to many other projects going to get around to it though.  We need to hear some clips of the guitar so that we can really get a feel for how she sounds though.  My friend picked up a Gibson Falcon and it sounded great, but the chassis is a pain in the butt to get out of the cab. Keep rocking.

By the way we need a This thread is useless without sound clips emoticon.

Gary Moore plays his 'Greeny' a lot if you see films on YouTube. I like that... it's a beautiful Reliced '59. A 'player'.

A small story... maybe you know. The Guitar Tech of Gary made the 'Greeny' real fine... also he put the neck pickup in the right way.

ha ha... Gary was not amused. So the tech must remake it immediatly.

(Sorry... for the 'strange' English. I'm Dutch)

I Agree on the Gibson Amps..I bought a '59 Gibsonette tweed for 50 bucks..The drummer who owned it needed to pay DUI fines..The thing sings like a canary and is so light you can lift it with one finger..It loves the buckers in my H-140, nice and clean with the volume backed down, and Granola crunchy with em turned up..

Archived