Heritage Owners Club

Old H-535 info….

Jwmusic

Hello guys. 
I’ve owned my 535 for coming up 8 years and to say it’s been round the block and back with me would be an understatement. It came to me Pre loved and I have never had much info on it, apart from it being a Killer guitar! The first digit of serial is sadly half rubbed off so not much use. I believe it to have the fabled Schaller golden 50s pickups, Grover tuners, Schaller quick restring bridge, a second pick guard that matches the finish almost and a un branded case. If anyone recognises any of this as denoting a approx year I’d love to know more. 

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0417.png

Edited by Jwmusic
  • Like 1

Is there a label in the F-hole with any info? 
FWIW- I would say that yours would have to be (no later) than an 05’. I seem to remember Heritage having supply issues with Schaller in the mid 00s’. Your guitar displays evidence of the Golden 50s’ pickups.
   Upon further inspection of your pics. It appears that you have one where the pickguard screws into the top, without a metal bracket. That would make it from the earlier production years (at least an 89’). Sure does look like an early 535.

Edited by davesultra

10 minutes ago, davesultra said:

Is there a label in the F-hole with any info? 
FWIW- I would say that yours would have to be (no later) than an 05’. I seem to remember Heritage having supply issues with Schaller in the mid 00s’. Your guitar displays evidence of the Golden 50s’ pickups.
   Upon further inspection of your pics. It appears that you have one where the pickguard screws into the top, without a metal bracket. That would make it from the earlier production years (at least an 89’). Sure does look like an early 535.

There is an old and fading scroll sticker inside but it just says Heritage guitars parson street H-535 VSB. From memory I have a felt washer under the neck end of the guard and a small cork washer under the main hole. My second scratch plate has the correct bracket but it’s clearly never been fitted and TBH looks distinctly newer than the rest of the guitar or case. Thanks for the guestimation, the aging on the finish has always made me suspect it’s an early 90s one. 

The guard you have and Schaller pickups are the same as my 2005 H535.   Mine has a different bridge and tailpiece, but then Heritage used to do a lot of customized guitars.   My 2003 has the Schaller bridge and tailpiece.   Surprisingly,  my 535 has the proper TKL case, but it doesn't have the Heritage logo like my others do.   I think I remember Jay Wolfe would sell guitars without the Heritage labeled case as a money saving option.   It would be the same case.   I think Ed Roman did the same thing.

I don't know of any real changes that would narrow down the year, other than when they moved to SD pickups, dropped the Schaller hardware or when they had to change from the stamped serial number to a written one (because the stamp wore out!).  The serial number was always the definitive criteria.  Things were pretty consistent until the company changed hands a few years ago.