Heritage Owners Club

Is it getting better.... with age?

Spectrum13

HOC

We have a thread asking us when we got our first Heritage. A lot of you have been owners for over a decade.

Since my oldest was built in 2006, can we get some feedback on how your solid, semi solid and hollow have aged?

Like old wine?

My 1990 576 has aged beautifully.  The finish is natural, which has taken on a darker patina, accentuating the flame in the maple, front, back, and sides.  The binding is yellowing to the same degree.  There is a bit of finish checking, but I have to look pretty closely to see it.  The thing sounds great, warm and woody!  I'll try and post a pic when I get home.

My Goldtop is getting nicely worn on the edge where my forearm sits; it's also turning a nice shade of green along the line where the lacquer is getting rubbed off. My Black-and-tan is getting a nice worn area right there as well. My Vintage Sunburst is just looking good like it has since I got it. The main thing I notice is that on the Goldtop and the Black-and-tan, the sound is getting better -- less "dry", more vibrant, if that makes any sense. The Sunburst, I got used, so it was already kind of going that way, although it seems to have gotten more "woody."

rooster.

My '97 535 and '99 550 are aging well; no neck problems, slight yellowing of the cream binding, electronics still rock solid.  Finish on both still shine with no checking.

Now if only I could age so well, but then, we'll see how these are doing at 54.

"The older I get, the better I used to be".  :undecided:

So far it all sounds great. Wood stable, binding mellows and the finish allows the cells to loose moisture content. Mine appears easier to play as the strings get more slinky. 40 years from now a 150 should like a burst.

My 140 is 24 years old, but I've only had it a month..It looks the way I imagine a vintage G**** would look..Tone is mellow and the 'burst looks an inch thick..Cheers

Archived