Heritage Owners Club

575 Owners...How often do you use the bridge pick up?

Jazzpunk

I've seen a few single pup 575's that looked nice but I'm worried I'd miss the option of having the bridge pup. Does the 575 really sound that much better for jazz with just the neck pup? Are there any cons to having two pups in the 575? How wide a range of tones can you get out of just the neck pup? Can a single pup 575 handle blues as well as jazz or would a bridge pup be mandatory?

I live on the neck pup with really every guitar and judge the merits of that guitar based on how it sounds in the neck position. I do like having the flexibility to throw down the hammer on the bridge, but usually just goose the volume/and or tone with a clean boost.

Remember I play mostly bluesy stuff. Really nothing heavier than Joe Walsh or Warren Haynes....

So I guess what I am saying is that most jazz cats I know really don't need or go to the bridge pup that often.

Again with my above comments and owning a 525 (kind of similar to a 575), and with the 575 being such a wide spectrum tone monster.... even though I would spend most of my time on the neck, I would want a bridge pup as well.

Just my .02

I don't have any big jazz boxes. Or hollowbodies at all. But I got to think that I'd feel lost without at least the option of a bridge pup. Altho' I rarely use the bridge pup on the Millies, I certainly do use the 'tween.

Good points guys. I think I'd be fine with a single pup Eagle but it would be nice to have a dual pup 575 just for options.

Thanks!

Exactly! And don't forget the H535 for those days when the hollows aren't getting it. And of course the H150 for those days when you only want a solid body. And then the H137 when you just need one pickup on the solid body. I think you'd have it covered then.  :angel:

2 pickup archtops give you a bit more bang for buck than a single p'up model in my opinion.  Archtops are typically 'one trick ponies' if you are a jazzer.  But even GBenson uses his bridge p'up along with the neck pickup at times to get a bit more snap to his tones.  You can really hear it on his more recent recordings, more-so than on his pre-smooth jazz/RnB stuff.  Even his earlier CTI recordings had a bit of bridge pickup mixed in when he was chasing Grant Green's riffs.

On a 575, the tone is so sweet at the neck, that it is easy to stay there and vary your tone simply by moving your picking hand a little closer to the bridge.  I like to put the three-way toggle switch in the middle position, then lower the neck and bridge pots down to about 6 or 7 for an edgy(sp) tone for single note soloing.  Then click back to the bridge p'up with volume full on for chordial playing.  Also, play with the volume knob too.  Most vol. pots don't have the proper capacitor to retain the highs, so as you roll down the volume, the tone becomes darker.  Some players use that as a positive part of their tonal pallet. 

It's really all about tonal options with a dual pickup set-up on an archtop...and having fun with your gitfiddle! 8)

2 pickup archtops give you a bit more bang for buck than a single p'up model in my opinion.  Archtops are typically 'one trick ponies' if you are a jazzer.  But even GBenson uses his bridge p'up along with the neck pickup at times to get a bit more snap to his tones.  You can really hear it on his more recent recordings, more-so than on his pre-smooth jazz/RnB stuff.  Even his earlier CTI recordings had a bit of bridge pickup mixed in when he was chasing Grant Green's riffs.

On a 575, the tone is so sweet at the neck, that it is easy to stay there and vary your tone simply by moving your picking hand a little closer to the bridge.  I like to put the three-way toggle switch in the middle position, then lower the neck and bridge pots down to about 6 or 7 for an edgy(sp) tone for single note soloing.  Then click back to the bridge p'up with volume full on for chordial playing.  Also, play with the volume knob too.  Most vol. pots don't have the proper capacitor to retain the highs, so as you roll down the volume, the tone becomes darker.  Some players use that as a positive part of their tonal pallet. 

It's really all about tonal options with a dual pickup set-up on an archtop...and having fun with your gitfiddle! 8)

Yea, what the Guitfidler says.   :laugh:

I keep both the pickups running at virtually all times (as Tulk would name it, the Tween).  I vary the tone with my right hand and the 4 pots.  I'd be missing too much without the bridge pickup.  It seems a single floating pickup would be too close to an acoustic and that would render it redundant.

I Truly want a Sweet 16 but haven't seen one with the dual pickup option.  I'm waiting.  GuitFiddler - do you have one of these too?  If so, we Seriously need to talk!

I Truly want a Sweet 16 but haven't seen one with the dual pickup option.  I'm waiting.  GuitFiddler - do you have one of these too?  If so, we Seriously need to talk!

Steiner~ We can talk anytime.  Gits are my favorite topic!  :)

My Sweet 16 has a single p'up, but I think JWolfe had one with a dual setup at one time or another. 

The 575 in my avatar is dual pickup with the standard 24.75 scale and probably gets more playing time due to its versatility and warmth. 

I'm with the Guit and Steiner.  I usually blend the pups with both vol and tone controls.  I hardly ever have the volumes/tones turned all the way up or down.

Archived