Heritage Owners Club

Lets' talk speakers

My gearhead IQ is probably most lacking when it comes to speakers.  What are you guys and gals using?  What do you like and dislike?  What's your favorite?  What say you?  ???

I'm a Marshally kind of guy and I'm currenly using a pair of Vintage 30s in one cab that I like the sound of.  I've been using a 4x12 cab with Eminence GB128s and 1258s which is for sale locally.  I have on the way a pair of Celestion Greenbacks (all my Celestions are in Avatar 2x12s) and a pair of EVM12Ls with 2 1x12 Theile cabs on the way as well.  This will be a new experience for me and I'm looking forward to it!  My Ampeg V4 has original Eminence speakers in a 4x12 cab and they sound awesome with that beast.

Well the only thing I can add is that on Tues I will be receiving a 1958 Jensen Alnico P12Q (Tulk1 was kind enough to point the acution out to me, but I have yet to surprise him that I bought it).

It will be going in a '57 Tweed Deluxe Reissue. I have tried 3 speakers in it and I sold Tulk1 the original Jensen Alnico that came with it. I was hoping to increase the headroom with a creamic speak, the 3 different ones I used really didn't match the amp. The tweed Deluxe was meant to break up early and it sounds incredible when it does. With the addition of the '67 Vibrolux & Rambler, I have clean covered so it's back to ZZ top & Neil Young with Crazy Horse.

I'll let you know how it works out.

My favorite cabinet for sound has two EVM12L's and two Vintage 30s.

I get a very full sound out of it at both ends of the spectrum as well as the mids.

I would have thought the EVMs would overpower the Vintage 30s being so efficient.  My EVMs aren't here yet, but I can try it at some point.

The EVMs are the lower two in the cabinets and I think it is fairly balanced. 

I used to have these same speakers in two separate 2x12 cabinets (2 EVs and 2 V30s) and never liked the results, too shrill. 

Now I get the low end from the closed cabinet.

speaker 20090405_191905.jpg

speaker 20090405_191905.jpg_thumb

speaker 20090405_191900.jpg

speaker 20090405_191900.jpg_thumb

The EVMs are the lower two in the cabinets and I think it is fairly balanced. 

I used to have these same speakers in two separate 2x12 cabinets (2 EVs and 2 V30s) and never liked the results, too shrill. 

Now I get the low end from the closed cabinet.

Did you have the EVs in a Theile spec cab?  As I understand it, it makes a big difference.  I'm hoping Brent will chime in about his Boogafunk (great name for a cab). 

I have a Thiele speced cabinet but the low end wasn't there. 

I had even taken one of the EVM-12Ls to work and ran spectrum analysis on it in the anechoic chamber there so I would know what I was truly getting from the speaker.  I used the results to tune my port size.  It added a little, but not enough for a single extension speaker (my opinion).  The speaker in my Mark III is an EM-12S (higher SPL).  The pair was quite clear but still no low end.

So I built a pair of 2x12 cabinets (15"x15"x30").  Into each of these, at different points in time, I placed either matched pairs of 12Ls/V30s or one 12L and one V30.  At ear level (pointing straight at my head), it was just too much and I would tend to use my other cabinets (4x12s). 

One 4x12 cabinet (30"x30"x15")I built has a pair of Boogie Vintage Black Shadows (50W) speakers and a pair of Celestion G12T-75 speakers.  This cabinet doesn't cut through as well as the EV/V30 cabinet, but it has way more low end and really sounds good played by itself.  I think part of its secret is the lack of a center brace to stiffen the soundboard.

Petey - My older Marshall 2x12 cab has the Cel30/Heritage mix. And that is a very good mix for Rock 'n Roll of any kind. The slightly mushed tones of the Cel30 is complimented by the slightly brittled highs of the Heritage. And together they really cancel out the bads from each other and highlight their Celestion-goodness. A most excellent box.

My other boxes are sporting Webers. 12A125A - really good AlNiCo tones with the smaller 1.25" voice coil. 12F150 - awesome ceramic tones and warm breakup with the 1.5" vc. Weber AlNiCo Bluedog for that ultra British flavor. And a Celestion NeoDog - great British flavor yet less filling than a traditional magnet.

Mark - Spectrum Analysis? Geez, dude. Take all the fun out of just listening to them.  :angel:

Kuz - You did? Excellent!! :thumbsup: Hope it's what you're looking for.

Mark - Spectrum Analysis? Geez, dude. Take all the fun out of just listening to them.  :angel:

With the former Mrs having me on a tight leash, you know she had the hair and nails thing to support, I couldn't afford another set of materials on my meager weekly allowance of $25 (formally known as my "lunch and gas" money).  Now, she was a looker and not all bad.  That said, I had to try to get it right the first time.

Besides, it was a fun project and I got to work directly with the audio acoustics engineers and learn a bit in the chamber (an floating acoustically perfect 30 ft cube room with a suspended floor made from aircraft wire).  When you closed the door while inside the room and turned out the lights, you would swear you were either deaf or dead and buried.  One thing I learned from the experience is that if you place an EVM with its 16 lb magnet within a foot or two of a computer, you may just get the chance to replace its hard drive  :angel:

16lb magnet? Is that a pull from an old Fender Super Twin? :laugh: I'd swear the speakers in that amp weighed 50lbs a piece.

Not sure I'd like being in a room without any ambient noise. Would be too weird. Okay, might be fun after you get used to it, tho'.  8)

When you closed the door while inside the room and turned out the lights, you would swear you were

either deaf or dead and buried.

I have a small piece of land out in the middle of nowhere and there's this spot, an outcropping of

rock far from the hills on all sides, that on a summer day with no wind you hear nothing but your

heartbeat.  It's really weird.  The spot would be good for speaker testing.

Celestion Alnico Blue 1x12 in my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia - match made in heaven.  I alsio have the classic V-30/G12H-30 combo in my Dr. Z best 2x12 - a very full sounding cabinet, that sounds great with a variety of heads.

Celestion Vintage 30 loaded into a custom cabinet Blues Jr.  Sounds very angry when cranked.  I love it!

Eminence (something or other) currently in a '79 (Blackface modded) Silverface Deluxe Reverb.  Schweeeet!!

Weber Custom Alnico 10" in the Ltd Ed. Trademark 30.  Badass little tone monster, especially in a sold oak cab!

Weber Custom Alnico 8" in the Gibson GA5.  Probably the best sounding little speaker I've ever heard.

I just installed the 12" Celestion Gold Alnico speaker in my early 90s Fender Blues Deluxe amp. It replaces the stock Eminence speaker.  While it needs a thorough break in period, I can say the tone has improved greatly. 

Has anyone attempted to install a 10" Alnico  speaker in a Fender Tweed Pro Jr?  The clearance between the stock speaker magnet and tubes are tight.  The Alnico magnet appears to extend further then the stock speaker and therefore, may cause an installation issue.  Any advice here?

Ive been changing speakers out and conducting sonic experiments for 4 days straight now.

Best combination out of all I had at my disposal is: 212 with v30's+ 212 w/ g12h and G12m. Open back or closed back depending on genre of music.

In a Fender Concert 112 combo a G12m is a winner for bluesy leads. Kind of surprised me. 60w amp 25w speaker. Wont be playing it loud. Will have to find a compromise. Maybe a 65

In another fender, pro tube pro reverb the stock Jensen is cool but hooked up to the 2 212's it is very smile indusing.

The JTM Takes the cake with the g12h/g12m combination. H150+JTM+g12h/g12m = ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The lone star just seems to take it all in its stride. 212 w/C90s and all above sounds good. Having trouble deciding which is the best sounding speakers for it. They're all good, just different.

I just installed the 12" Celestion Gold Alnico speaker in my early 90s Fender Blues Deluxe amp. It replaces the stock Eminence speaker.  While it needs a thorough break in period, I can say the tone has improved greatly. 

Has anyone attempted to install a 10" Alnico  speaker in a Fender Tweed Pro Jr?  The clearance between the stock speaker magnet and tubes are tight.  The Alnico magnet appears to extend further then the stock speaker and therefore, may cause an installation issue.  Any advice here?

You could take the bell cover off, maybe.

I have a Jensen reissue in my Clark Beaufort Special, an Emminence red/white/blue Patriot in the Allen Accomplice and a 1 x 12 cab with a Celestion Greenback, for my Reinhardt 18 watter.  The only one I may change is the Jensen, only because in the past I have found I like the sound of the Weber VSTs over the Jensen, but, don't think I am knocking the Jensens, I just like the Webers. 

Archived