Heritage Owners Club

H-140, LP Studio comparison

smurph1

Mornin..I spent the weekend in Michigan seeing old friends..Had the opportunity to play my 140 through a tweed Blues Deville with 4-10's in it..WOW..Then a freind showed up with a '08 LP studio..He wanted to check out the 140, so I used the Studio for a while..Man! It sounded DEAD..I could not get inspired at all!!My friend offered me the Studio,, plus an amp he had..(A Flextone DuoVerb Head) in an even trade..I just kind of chuckled a bit, and politely said "No thanks"..How's that for an endorsement of "Our Guys" in Kalamazoo? The LP just didn't have that quality "feel"..Even though he just got the LP Studio, he said he's going to start looking for a Heritage..This was in Lansing, so he is going to Elderly to see if he can find one..Looks Like we may have another convert..LOL

The quality speaks for itself!! They don't need a big advertising budget!!

Mornin..I spent the weekend in Michigan seeing old friends..Had the opportunity to play my 140 through a tweed Blues Deville with 4-10's in it..WOW..Then a freind showed up with a '08 LP studio..He wanted to check out the 140, so I used the Studio for a while..Man! It sounded DEAD..I could not get inspired at all!!My friend offered me the Studio,, plus an amp he had..(A Flextone DuoVerb Head) in an even trade..I just kind of chuckled a bit, and politely said "No thanks"..How's that for an endorsement of "Our Guys" in Kalamazoo? The LP just didn't have that quality "feel"..Even though he just got the LP Studio, he said he's going to start looking for a Heritage..This was in Lansing, so he is going to Elderly to see if he can find one..Looks Like we may have another convert..LOL

Always good to hear about people coming over from the dark side... May the vibe be with you!!!

I don't have a 140, I just have the 157, but I also have a LP vintage mahogany, which is basically the el-cheapo LP studio. So apart from the monkey factor, I always thought a comparison wasn't fair.

My own experience is that there is no comparing the feel of these two. The 157 is just solid and tight. You just love to play it. The LP doesn't have nearly the same tight feel to it. That said however, the vintage mahogany has surprising sustain to it, and it's Burstbucker Pros are pretty nice, and I've always been happy with the sound I got out of it. Comparing the LP to the schallers originally in the 157 the LP sounded pretty good (not as nice to play, but a good sound)  by comparison. Now that I've changed out the schallers for 59's the 157 is much better. There are still times when the el-cheapo LP and the BBs is the sound I'm looking for (a brighter sound than the 157), but what I find interesting is that for me it was the feel of the Heritage guitar that I immediately fell in love with rather than the tone, yet you picked up on the tone as being the main differentiator. Interesting? I guess every guitar is different..

Always good to hear about people coming over from the dark side... May the vibe be with you!!!

I don't have a 140, I just have the 157, but I also have a LP vintage mahogany, which is basically the el-cheapo LP studio. So apart from the monkey factor, I always thought a comparison wasn't fair.

My own experience is that there is no comparing the feel of these two. The 157 is just solid and tight. You just love to play it. The LP doesn't have nearly the same tight feel to it. That said however, the vintage mahogany has surprising sustain to it, and it's Burstbucker Pros are pretty nice, and I've always been happy with the sound I got out of it. Comparing the LP to the schallers originally in the 157 the LP sounded pretty good (not as nice to play, but a good sound)  by comparison. Now that I've changed out the schallers for 59's the 157 is much better. There are still times when the el-cheapo LP and the BBs is the sound I'm looking for (a brighter sound than the 157), but what I find interesting is that for me it was the feel of the Heritage guitar that I immediately fell in love with rather than the tone, yet you picked up on the tone as being the main differentiator. Interesting? I guess every guitar is different..

Exactly my feelings on the 140. It had the tight feeling that the Gibby's didn't.

It's impossible to compare a standard Gibson (any Gibson!) to an Heritage (any Heritage!), in all honesty it's not even fair.

An honest shoot out would be a Gibson Custom Shop, an Heritage, and an American made Hamer, for example.

My H150 managed to beat a PRS Custom 24 I nearly bought too, so even in that case it would have to be a Private Stock PRS.

The thing is that Heritage is a Custom Shop(!), the only thing being that we're spoiled cuz they are bein' sold at realistic prices, whereas all the other guitars are way overpriced!

It's impossible to compare a standard Gibson (any Gibson!) to an Heritage (any Heritage!), in all honesty it's not even fair.

An honest shoot out would be a Gibson Custom Shop, an Heritage, and an American made Hamer, for example.

My H150 managed to beat a PRS Custom 24 I nearly bought too, so even in that case it would have to be a Private Stock PRS.

The thing is that Heritage is a Custom Shop(!), the only thing being that we're spoiled cuz they are bein' sold at realistic prices, whereas all the other guitars are way overpriced!

I wouldnt put a PRS cu24 up against H150/140/157. Not the same sort of guitar.

Id probably put the PRS McCarty or SC245 up against the Heritages.

Oh wait........I did......the Heritage won. Even recently a 245 with 57/08 p/ups failed to ignite my enthusiasm.

Finally,

Someone who GETS it!!!

Archived