Heritage Owners Club

'86 H170 pics

espiti

Hello everyone,

Newbie alert...

I'm the happy (and proud I guess) new owner of this 1986 H170. As you can see, it only has 3 knobs (2 non push-pull volumes, 1 tone) and a 2-position switch.

(The following pics are supposed to be clickable thumbnails leading you to the full size images. Never used this feature before. Let me know if it doesn't work as it should.)

th_DSC07445.jpg

th_DSC07446.jpg

th_DSC07448.jpg

th_DSC07447.jpg

th_DSC07449.jpg

Despite the state of neglect it was in when I got it, it still sounded wonderful. It has its share of nicks and scrapes (hey, the lady is 22 years young...) but, overall, it's in pretty good condition. I stumbled onto it by chance as I was more on the lookout for a 335 type axe.

Besides the usual deep cleaning, it needed the input jack tightened, the pickguard adjusted (the tip of the bolt holding it on the bracket was touching the top so it had to be filed slightly and the bracket itself had to be opened slightly beyond 90 degrees). Of course, the truss-rod needed adjusting too, as well as the intonation (still in process) and string separation. The string spacing at the nut is slightly off too and, since the nut itself seems to be some kind of cheap plastic, I'll cut a new one in bone. The Grover tuners are their usual cheesy selves (compared to the current 18:1 Rotomatics) and will have to go. I happen to have a set of chrome Gotoh 510 Delta with the same mounting screw pattern so they won't leave any mark (should I want to sell it someday and bring it back to original). The fretboard still needs a good scrubbing and oiling but the frets look almost unused. According to its previous owner, it spent the last 8 years in its original case -- and it's believable.

Any info you are willing to share on this model will be appreciated. I have no idea what its current market value would be, the number produced, the various iterations of this model, etc. All I know is that it is obviously a 1986 H170 (suffix?).

Thanks in advance.

As a fellow H-170 owner, I am fully qualified to tell you that your guitar is beautiful! It reminds me of 70s Santana for some reason. Great shots, espiti, and Welcome to the Club!

As a H-575 owner, I'm not qualified to tell you anything. But I like your guitar!

I had a '88 H-140 that was the best LP type I ever experienced.

Welcome

Nice pic's. Cool looking 170.

Does the double cut make it much easier to reach further up the f/board com pared to a 150?

Not so much as the body is still there behind the neck. as shown on mine.

Welcome Espiti from a fellow H170 owner. Mine is fantastic.

post-918-1241845901_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words and warm welcome...

Anyone could point me to a link describing the various versions of this model? I see some of you H170 owners have different pups. Were they replaced or are they stock? Mine also seems to be one of the plainest versions (no binding on neck, non-figured maple, simple dot fret markers).

Anyone could point me to a link describing the various versions of this model? I see some of you H170 owners have different pups. Were they replaced or are they stock? Mine also seems to be one of the plainest versions (no binding on neck, non-figured maple, simple dot fret markers).

While I don't have a link to a description, this should get you a long ways into knowing it.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...ighlite=%2BH170

Mines a 2004 model which was the last year of the initial run of 170's. I think they have a version 2 in production now.

I haven't made any mods. They are Schaller HB's as fitted by Heritage. Also dot markers and no binding on the neck, but I do have a curly maple top.

post-918-1241892252_thumb.jpg

Nice Guitar, and welcome to the cult...I am a newbie also...Don't worry about the dings..Enjoy the tone!!!

Thanks mars_hall for the link. Unfortunately, it seems to be broken and returns an error...

1) Click on Search at the top of this page

2) Select More Search Options

3) Select Show Me Most Relevant

4) Click on More Options

5) Put H170 in the Search by Keyword field

6) Select Result Type Show results as posts

7) Click on Perform the search

This will get you the results I had in the link

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and also have a H170CM. Mine is an '88 vintage in transparent cherry with ebony fretboard and the VIP vari-phase electronics. This was a replacement for a Les Paul Deluxe I had stolen from my home and I have been very happy with it. Unfortunatley, as the years have worn on, this beauty has started to show signs of wear and tear. If anyone knows of a reputable professional electric guitar guy that could basically overhaul my lovely and bring her back as close to new as they can, I would greatly appreciate the name.

I would also like to thank the founders of this site. It is nice to be a part of something that people feel so passionate about and I hope to have some pics of my beauty to share with you soon.

Archived