Heritage Owners Club

Tail piece is ringing...agggggghhhhh!

Jazzpunk

So all of a sudden I noticed that the tail piece on my new 575 makes a 'ringing' noise on certain chord shapes. Of course now it's all I can hear, causing my face to twist and contort ala Ren & Stimpy!

Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the solution? I love the look of the tail piece but I'll change it if need be.

BTW, this is the style:

Thin_Body_Trapeze_Tailpiece_Detail.jpg

First, take a deeeep breath! <_<

OK, hopefully a fly did not go down your throat! Seriously, do the following:

Remove your strings. Check the two hex nuts at the top of the bail, nearest the bridge. Be sure they are both tightened and not loose.

Next, change your strings to a fresh set. If you are using 10's, go up to 11's. You might even go up to 12's.

If there is still a noise, vibration or ringing, then make a calm phone call to your dealer (Wolfe?) and discuss this phenomenon. It should still be under warranty.

OK, exhale! :D

I usually stuff a piece of foam through the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to keep the harp trash noises down. It might help if there's a resonent thing going on with the tailpiece to keep the strings from vibrating between the brige and tailpiece.

I usually stuff a piece of foam through the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to keep the harp trash noises down. It might help if there's a resonent thing going on with the tailpiece to keep the strings from vibrating between the brige and tailpiece.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

So all of a sudden I noticed that the tail piece on my new 575 makes a 'ringing' noise on certain chord shapes.

If it's ringing, then maybe you should answer it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! <_<

Jazzpunk:

Do you have a tune-a-matic on this guitar? Are you sure the source of the noise isn't there? I had a buzz/ring on my Super that was driving me nuts. Switched to the wooden bridge (much better tone there, by the way), and the noise was gone. Good luck....

Jazzpunk:

Do you have a tune-a-matic on this guitar? Are you sure the source of the noise isn't there? I had a buzz/ring on my Super that was driving me nuts. Switched to the wooden bridge (much better tone there, by the way), and the noise was gone. Good luck....

I still have the wooden bridge on there. Interestingly enough, I was reading the wiki on the Gibson ES-135 today and it mentioned that the original tail piece was changed due to complaints about resonant noise. It was the same style as mine! <_<

I guess it's due to the string length more than the actual tail piece style though.

My H-550 does the same thing. It gets worse with heavier gauge strings and is more noticeable when unplugged or the amp is way down low. Crank the amp and it's like it's not even there. It bugged me at first but I got over it, as the whole instrument resonates to some degree anyway. I look at it as the guitar "singing along" with the tune I'm playing.

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly, the reason for a finger tailpiece is to eliminate harmonic resonance and interaction of the strings. Each finger is a different length so there are no harmonic waves set up between strings.

Just regurgitating what I read

I have the same tailpiece on my H-550. I think it's just the nature of an archtop with a trapeze tailpiece.

So I wrapped some felt through the strings near the tail piece and the ringing has stopped. Problem is it looks a little ghetto!

Does anyone know if changing the tail piece out to one like this would help?

Alternate tailpiece option

Archived