Heritage Owners Club

The one that got away.....

Barrymclark wrote: (I can't figure out how to quote)

"I am an SG fan.... I am just not willing to encourage Gibson by buying a new one. haha. Would rater get a used one... especially if it has P90's in it. Sorry... I was raised on Black Sabbath. What can I say?"

Barry:

SGs are iconic guitars --they need no defense. Duane Allman, probably the guy who most inspired me to play, used one for slide. I should have been more careful to qualify what I said. We all have our own tastes and standards of judgment. My problem with SGs is what I see as a design flaw, and the amp I was discussing also had a design flaw. That's what I meant by "crap for crap" --but only by my particular (and weird) lights. One man's "design flaw" can be the favorite aspect of a guitar for someone else. I apologize to any offense given to SG owners/lovers.

Barrymclark wrote: (I can't figure out how to quote)

"I am an SG fan.... I am just not willing to encourage Gibson by buying a new one. haha. Would rater get a used one... especially if it has P90's in it. Sorry... I was raised on Black Sabbath. What can I say?"

Barry:

SGs are iconic guitars --they need no defense. Duane Allman, probably the guy who most inspired me to play, used one for slide. I should have been more careful to qualify what I said. We all have our own tastes and standards of judgment. My problem with SGs is what I see as a design flaw, and the amp I was discussing also had a design flaw. That's what I meant by "crap for crap" --but only by my particular (and weird) lights. One man's "design flaw" can be the favorite aspect of a guitar for someone else. I apologize to any offense given to SG owners/lovers.

Oh, no offense taken. Just saying I am a fan goin in line with the idea that 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'.

Still have my first. 63 Ampeg purchased new from the Factory in 65 when I was 15. It has a PCB so they only made a few of them as a demo I guess. Did have a duel showman cab with twin JBL130. I traded the cabinet and took the speakers. Have only on of the 15's left and it's dead. Don't want to think about the guitars I sold......

Mine would probably be my tweed Peavey Classic 50 2x12..Probably not well known to a lot of players, but it had a great reverb and singing over drive..I had a nice Tele at the time, (I regret selling that too) and the amp and guitar sounded great together..In overdrive, I could just roll the volume back on the guitar a bit, and be in semi-crunch heaven..SIGH....

Hey, I've still got one of these. Early 90's (I think), beat up a bit, but can do clean to crunch and back again. Sweet reverb, too. Got is for $240 at the local GC. Only annoyance is the fan cooling, but if you crank it up loud enough...

Wow - Mars_hall's post nominated for post of the week. Excellent story, Mark!

I don't really pine for any of the amps that I've traded away, although one that served me well and that I should have maybe kept for nostalgia is a Yamaha G50-112 II, circa around '81. Popular solid state amp, combo w/single 12, parametric eq, dual footswitchable channel. Weekend gigged with that amp for years and treated it terrible - left in the car frozen in sub zero temps like a block of ice, bring it in the bar and start to play, roll it around the back of the van... the amp ALWAYS worked and never had any need for repair. Sold it a few years ago as I just wasn't using it anymore. Really good and tube-like overdriven sound, but not a warm/deep enough clean tone.

guitamps_005.jpg

Fyi, DC area CL has one of these for $99. If he were closer I'd scoop it up.

Wow - Mars_hall's post nominated for post of the week. Excellent story, Mark!

I don't really pine for any of the amps that I've traded away, although one that served me well and that I should have maybe kept for nostalgia is a Yamaha G50-112 II, circa around '81. Popular solid state amp, combo w/single 12, parametric eq, dual footswitchable channel. Weekend gigged with that amp for years and treated it terrible - left in the car frozen in sub zero temps like a block of ice, bring it in the bar and start to play, roll it around the back of the van... the amp ALWAYS worked and never had any need for repair. Sold it a few years ago as I just wasn't using it anymore. Really good and tube-like overdriven sound, but not a warm/deep enough clean tone.

guitamps_005.jpg

Fyi, DC area CL has one of these for $99. If he were closer I'd scoop it up.

When I was in 5th grade my neighbor had a garage sale. Me and kids from the neigborhood used to hang out and pretend to be the Beatles and sing songs to the teenage girl next door ( wow what dorks!) . I wanted to play guitar in the worst way. So, this neighbor has a guitar I can't remember and a VOX amp for sale at the garage sale. That was an old AC30. My mom bought for nothing, and I brought it and the fender jaguar styled guitar ( I think it was a knock off. I PRAY it was a knock off) down to the basement and it proceeds to shock me and my brother as we try to play it. Well, that was enough for mom. The stuff went out with Tuesday's trash.. Makes me sick thinking about it.

ouch mike, that's painful..!!

I could have bought an amazing sounding deluxe reverb for $200, or some crappy TCM 100W tube head for the same amount...we couldn't believe how good the deluxe sounded, but yikes, 20watts wasn't loud enough to play in a band!! ( LOL) so I bought the POS 100w head instead...I think I abandoned it it a basement in Ottawa

I had a chance to buy a mint black 1954 strat for $4000 about 20 years ago....that was a lot of money back then though, and I passed....bought one of the first year strat plus' instead

I did luck out when a friend gave me an old amp that had been in his flooding basement for 15 years....turns out it was a '65 100w plexi...woot!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived in Malibu in 1972... one day I'm in Trancas Market with the old lady (that's what you called your woman back then) and she stops and oggles ads on a bulletin board. I walk over there to hurry her up and see an ad for a Rickenbacker 330 in Fireglo... I write the number down and call the guy - turns out his name is Mike... His parents bought it for him in '65... I said to him, MIKE ??? and he goes yeah... Turns out it is the son of my landlord who literally lives on the other side of the wall from me. 5 minutes and $150.00 later I own the 330.

1977 I'm hanging out with a musician buddy of mine down in The Valley - he takes me by this great music store over on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks... I walk outta there with a terrific 1966 Deluxe Reverb for $200.00...

Fast forward to 1978... I'm living up in Pacifica and now am seriously into amateur astronomy - got the big Celestron C-8 bug and bad... Had to have it. Talked to a kid at my job who was a bass player... I told him take the gear home and try it out - you like it I want $350.00 for the amp and guitar... (shakes head remembering)... Every time I run into this guy he still reminds me he still has the stuff and will never part with it... The deal almost fell thru because when he took it home the Deluxe hummed... He brought it and the guitar back and wanted to cancel the deal... I insisted he try it in the office, NO PROBLEMS there at all... He started looking around in the old house he had a room in and realized he had dimmer switches on the same line the amp got it's power from...

I had the C-8 for about 5 years... there ain't nothing like an old Blackface Fender amp. And the Ricky 330 was CHERRY

Archived