Heritage Owners Club

Good price for a used H555 ??

slider313

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.  I wish they hadn't switched to the mahogany neck on these ... the maple made the 555 unique compared both to other heritage thinlines and to the gibson equivalents.  I think given the shallow heel and the length of the neck, there's a structural argument for the harder wood --as if the aesthetics of striped maple weren't enough!  I think you got a great deal, especially considering you had the opportunity to make a hands-on assessment. 

I hope one of these years to run into one of these when I happen to be able to afford it ...after my moratorium expires. 

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.  I wish they hadn't switched to the mahogany neck on these ... the maple made the 555 unique compared both to other heritage thinlines and to the gibson equivalents.  I think given the shallow heel and the length of the neck, there's a structural argument for the harder wood --as if the aesthetics of striped maple weren't enough!  I think you got a great deal, especially considering you had the opportunity to make a hands-on assessment. 

I hope one of these years to run into one of these when I happen to be able to afford it ...after my moratorium expires. 

Unless something has happened in the last couple months the 555 has always had a maple neck & ebony fingerboard. I have an original 55 like that and had to special order a 555 with a Mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard.

The 535 comes with the Mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard standard but I wanted the 555 inlays and binding on mine.

Kuz:

AnH555 mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that Jay says the maple neck is no longer standard.  I think I read it in one of Jay's descriptions earlier this year, but I can't remember for certain where I saw it.  I checked after your post to see if I could confirm where I had seen it, and couldn't find it on Jay's site or the Heritage homepage.  The necks on the 2008 555's that Jay has listed are, however, listed as mahogany.

I don't speak with any authority ...I wish we had easy access to an up-to-date catalog and price list.  Mainly I just wanted to compliment Slider on a cool guitar with a feature I think is particularly nice.

Yep, as of 2007, unless a three piece Maple neck is Custom Ordered, all H555's come with one piece Mahogany necks...this according to one of Jay's H-555 ad descriptors.  Since it was only stated in an ad, it was easy to miss and remember.  To confirm that, I spoke with Graham at Wolfe's while researching that model. 

I prefer the Mahogany neck due to it's warmer tone.  That was one of the reasons I went for an '07 H-555 and couldn't be happier.

Yep, as of 2007, unless a three piece Maple neck is Custom Ordered, all H555's come with one piece Mahogany necks...this according to one of Jay's H-555 ad descriptors.  Since it was only stated in an ad, it was easy to miss and remember.  To confirm that, I spoke with Graham at Wolfe's while researching that model. 

I prefer the Mahogany neck due to it's warmer tone.  That was one of the reasons I went for an '07 H-555 and couldn't be happier.

Yea I prefer my Cust 555 with the Mahogany neck/Rosewood board becaue of the warmth, but it was nice to have two different types of guitars with the 555 & 535. Shame they did away with the maple necks. :(

So I'm guessing the new 555s with Mahogany necks still have ebony fret boards?

I always like the maple neck/ebony board and mahogany neck/rosewood board combination. Not a big fan of mahogany neck/ rosewood board.

Yes, the H555 now has a mahogany neck/ebony fretboard.

You meant to say not a fan of mahogany neck/ebony fretboard

You are correct, thanks.

Archived