Heritage Owners Club

Good price for a used H555 ??

slider313

I was looking at a used H555, natural with some real nice flame, at a local shop. The guitar is on consignment. What is your opinion as to a fair price for this piece in exc. condition ??

do they have a used H 170???? ;D

Well I paid $1645 for mine on ebay, delivered, but then I had to buy a new case for it. A famous dealer sold a used one like you're describing for $1900.

They cost a bit more with HRW's than they do with Schaller pickups, and a 3 piece maple neck is an upgrade over 1 piece mahogany. It's a plus that you can inspect it in person. These are just my thoughts and opinions. I watched this one (pic) go for $1975 just a few weeks ago, and I thought that was a very high price. Again, only my opinion, but I think 15-1700 is a reasonable range for a 555 w/case in excellent condition. When they start getting higher priced, I feel the new ones are worth taking a look at. Hope you'll let us know what happens with it.

DSC01713.JPG

DSC01713.JPG_thumb

Slider313~ You didn't mention the age of the 555 for sale, hardware or what pickups.  However, used H-555's with 'choice woods' upgrades usually hold their value very well over time.  The price range noted by AnH555 is right on. 

I find that shops that consign  are a bit less apt to negotiate much.  They've got to make a few bucks and so does the consignee.  If I were you, I'd make them an offer for what you think is a fair price and see what they do.  Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Thanks Gitfiddler. Took the 555 home and tweeked the neck, oiled the fretboard, polished the frets and put a fresh set of D'Addario .10's on her. The strings she came with felt a bit stiff. I'm thinking they were DR tight fits as they had very little give.I tried them on another guitar a while back and cut them off after about 15 minutes. And thanks, my Vibrolux Reverb does sound great. It's a '64 with a low serial #. It almost seems it was made for Heritage guitars because they sound better than anything else I plug into it.

Congrats, Slider. It looks awesome. I wish mine had a natural pickguard like that, instead of black.

Jay Wolfe says the maple neck has been discontinued on these. The finish looks like Gitfiddler's. "Amber Translucent". (It should say on the label.)

I think of the 555 as the Cadillac of guitars! Bet you don't have any regrets!

Congrats, Slider. It looks awesome. I wish mine had a natural pickguard like that, instead of black.

Jay Wolfe says the maple neck has been discontinued on these. The finish looks like Gitfiddler's. "Amber Translucent". (It should say on the label.)

I think of the 555 as the Cadillac of guitars! Bet you don't have any regrets!

Thanks AN. The original hang tag was in the case. Looks like this was originally purchased from Wolfe, as his sticker is on the back. The finish is Antique Natural. No regrets here. Do you know if the HRW were an option in '99 and do they use the double screw mounting like the standard Schallers? I should have pulled one before I restrung her.

The HRW's do have 2 screws per side like the Schallers. I don't know if they were around in 1999, but there are some pickup experts around here who might provide a definitive answer. Feel free to post plenty of pics.

And let me ask you, does your headstock binding have a black stripe in it?

Archived