Heritage Owners Club

White Whale Relic Ideas Anyone !?

Millennium Maestro

Long story short, got a 150 White whale... pulled her out and tuned her up after getting her from UPS....

Wife says something to the extent of.... "Hon, what happened...did you buy liberace's guitar?"

My guitars earn a nickname ... LIBERACE is this ones... LOL

So here it is, the hard rocking rough edged rebel needs to give LIBERACE a slight facelift.... anyone got some reaally good advise or instructions for Relicing a guitar... Can the nitro finish have some advancing to the age and checking process through any chemical process?

Also does anyone have Black Hardware they would like to part with? Think that would look good in the direction I am going with this guitar.... and by the way, Yes LIBERACE really plays well!!!

Guy

h140h150012.jpg

I'm not a fan of "relicing" guitars. To each their own on this judgement call...reasonable gentleman can disagree.

Why would you want to relic a gold trimmed guitar anyway? Just slap some chrome or nickle hardware on that slab and you're ready to rock ^_^ Moreover, leave it be! The second coming of white/gold guitars will soon be upon us...bide your time and laugh all the way to the bank. Eventually.

In the mean time, have fun with it--I'm sure it sounds great! :)

If nothing else, ham up your white guitar as a means to achieve relations with she that is currently laughing at you. That guitar, plus a scarf around your head, plus some white trousers...dude, you'e, gonna score ;)

Call Graham at Wolfe guitars. He actually messes up (ah, scratch that, RELICS) guitars. He told me he puts the guitar in a freezer for a set period of time (I can't remember, maybe an hour or two) and then quickly takes it out in the 85 degree weather. Says it Relics perfectly.

WARNING... Call Graham first as I am not sure of the complete process here.

thats what Ron Luczak does...puts it in a car on a hot summer day and brings it in and uses the can of complressed air (turn it upside down to blow the ice cold liquid) spray it on the guitar....instant checking!!!

I would switch to chrome hardware and lacquer 1/2 black.. please do not induce lacquer checking... what you will be doing is expanding and contracting the wood and it will effect all the joints, possibly the neck and, changing the tone... putting moisture in the wood and then sucking it back out is never good for the wood.. especially if you do it rapidly..

Thanks for all the interesting advise... I too myself not really a fan of reliced guitars, I however though this may be a perfect opportunity to try something different.

I keep my guitars nearly pristine, this one however has some light checking already, some light mellowing. In a way I had a vision of my 74 LP Custom 20th anniversary that I sold.... only with a little more road worn look.

I am however gonna make some changes to LIBERACE, just giving it a little time for the right move.

Guy

ps. DCA gold trim has to go on this guitar period.

Thanks for all the interesting advise... I too myself not really a fan of reliced guitars, I however though this may be a perfect opportunity to try something different.

I keep my guitars nearly pristine, this one however has some light checking already, some light mellowing. In a way I had a vision of my 74 LP Custom 20th anniversary that I sold.... only with a little more road worn look.

I am however gonna make some changes to LIBERACE, just giving it a little time for the right move.

Guy

ps. DCA gold trim has to go on this guitar period.

I'm glad you like it! Have fun! ^_^

I'm thinking... More gold .

Gold/Brass knobs w white pearl inserts. gold toggle switch . and ....

Gold or White/ gold pickguard. maybe like one on an es-295 or LP-295 Or a gold mirrored one.

lp295body.jpg

I am not normally a fan of gold hardware, but here I could see it. It would look like a White Falcon.

White-Falcon-Jr.jpg

Do not bust up that beautiful guitar with some hack job.

Please.

My vote...

White speedliner nobs and remove the ring around the switch. Maple pickup rings painted white or natural. If that falls short, nickle or chrome bridge, tail piece and pickup covers. It's still pretty.

Archived