Heritage Owners Club

JCM 2000 DSL100

JeffB

Hoping someone here can answer these questions.

Had a DSL50 that I thought was a great amp. Now I can get a DSL100 at an absolutely bargain price. I like 40-60 watt amps. I tend to back off preamp gain and use the power amp and speaker distortion/overdrive.

How simple is this. Is it just a case of removing 2 of the 4 power tubes and re biasing to suit?

Also thinking of either disconnecting the fx loop or making it foot switchable. Is that an easy mod to do?

Thanks

I know it can be done with a Mesa Rectifier amp, but I'm not sure about the Marshall. I've got the DSL50, and it's still too much power for me!

I wonder if anyone at the Marshall Amp forum may be able to help?

I know it can be done with a Mesa Rectifier amp, but I'm not sure about the Marshall. I've got the DSL50, and it's still too much power for me!

I wonder if anyone at the Marshall Amp forum may be able to help?

Ive searched a bit through the Marshall Amp forum but couldnt find anything directly related to the dsl100. Though it seems a few guys do it to other 100w heads.

Did find a cool mod for channel 1 which enables you to switch clean to crunch with a foot switch.

I guess selling the dsl is one of very few "wished I never did that" stories. But there are plenty around so its an easy and cheap one to rectify.

Hoping someone here can answer these questions.

Had a DSL50 that I thought was a great amp. Now I can get a DSL100 at an absolutely bargain price. I like 40-60 watt amps. I tend to back off preamp gain and use the power amp and speaker distortion/overdrive.

How simple is this. Is it just a case of removing 2 of the 4 power tubes and re biasing to suit?

Also thinking of either disconnecting the fx loop or making it foot switchable. Is that an easy mod to do?

Thanks

1/2ing the power in any quad power tube Marshall amp is as simple as pulling the two outer or two inner tubes. Then 1/2 the cab impedance; that is - if you're running a 16ohm cab set the amp for 8ohms

1/2ing the power in any quad power tube Marshall amp is as simple as pulling the two outer or two inner tubes. Then 1/2 the cab impedance; that is - if you're running a 16ohm cab set the amp for 8ohms

I thought someone here would have the answer.

No re biasing? For some reason I thought there would be a need to do that.

Works out good as I can use my favourite cab wich is 8ohms

Spent abit of time today playing through a DSL100.

I really liked it as is. Theyre a great amp. Pretty much figured it would get me through any gig.

Reasonable cleans, maybe a little thin or bright compared to what Im used to. A good Marshall crunch, as it should, and enough gain on the second ch for more punkier, old school metal and alt rock moments.

Had fun and it drew a few things out of me I wouldnt normally think of.

Didnt think it had a real depth or bloom just a rocking good amp. Made me want to play AC/DC, G'n'R's, Iron Maiden etc songs and my attempts at them(poor) at least had the right tones, or close enough anyway.

During the coarse of the day I also plugged into a Mesa single rec head and a Mesa Electro Dyne. Also a Hughes & Kettner Duo Tone. All of them yanked my chain more than the JCM2000 DSL. Sort of deflated my DSL GAS bubble a bit.

On the way out the door I spotted a Radial Engineering Tonebone Plexitube and I bought it home for a little product research.

Through my Mesa Lone Star's clean channel it sounds great. Actually sounds better, to me, than the DSL.

I still get the warmth, depth and bloom of the LS but with the Plexitube engaged I get a nice, tight very convincing Marshall type tones. From a low gain crunch through to some more modern higher gain sounds.

Im pretty certain so far that this will be the purchase I make instead of the DSL. Just have to tinker a bit more with it to make sure, but its looking good so far. Just as much notes to myself as a review for anyone else.

plexitube2.jpg

Spent abit of time today playing through a DSL100.

I really liked it as is. Theyre a great amp. Pretty much figured it would get me through any gig.

Reasonable cleans, maybe a little thin or bright compared to what Im used to. A good Marshall crunch, as it should, and enough gain on the second ch for more punkier, old school metal and alt rock moments.

Had fun and it drew a few things out of me I wouldnt normally think of.

Didnt think it had a real depth or bloom just a rocking good amp. Made me want to play AC/DC, G'n'R's, Iron Maiden etc songs and my attempts at them(poor) at least had the right tones, or close enough anyway.

During the coarse of the day I also plugged into a Mesa single rec head and a Mesa Electro Dyne. Also a Hughes & Kettner Duo Tone. All of them yanked my chain more than the JCM2000 DSL. Sort of deflated my DSL GAS bubble a bit.

On the way out the door I spotted a Radial Engineering Tonebone Plexitube and I bought it home for a little product research.

Through my Mesa Lone Star's clean channel it sounds great. Actually sounds better, to me, than the DSL.

I still get the warmth, depth and bloom of the LS but with the Plexitube engaged I get a nice, tight very convincing Marshall type tones. From a low gain crunch through to some more modern higher gain sounds.

Im pretty certain so far that this will be the purchase I make instead of the DSL. Just have to tinker a bit more with it to make sure, but its looking good so far. Just as much notes to myself as a review for anyone else.

plexitube2.jpg

Well this would be a lot easier than mod'ing an amp that is mostly circuit boards.

Its funny how you hear something one way, one day, and then the same thing another way the next.

Today the Tonebone Plexitone sounds fuzzy at exactly the same settings I left it at the previous day. I walked away and let both the amp and pedal warm up and came back and it still sounded fizzy.

I spent a while tweaking then just shut everything down and walked away.

I gig with an acoustic guitar....why am I even bothering about stuff I dont need?!!

I blame the internet.

tully ... have you checked out the MI Audio Crunch Box ?

YouTube demo from Brett Kingman

MI Audio Crunch Box

Thanks for the link. I always seem to over look this pedal. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh, and this is my favorite Marshall! The DSL series 40w (was the head a 50?). Anways, I was actually out to buy one when I got the Vox. Seriously gnarly amp.

Combo 40w, head 50 and 100w. There was a 20w combo for a while as well.

I had the 50w head and really liked it. Bit bright and loud to sit at home and use but sat right in the mix at gigs.

Which Vox did yo get?

Combo 40w, head 50 and 100w. There was a 20w combo for a while as well.

I had the 50w head and really liked it. Bit bright and loud to sit at home and use but sat right in the mix at gigs.

Which Vox did yo get?

Vox AC50CP2. Heavy as a boat anchor, but worth it.

Archived