Heritage Owners Club

Question about bridges - from a semi-hollow ignoramus

jmc7581

I'm new here, and I admit it - I do not have a Heritage (although I really REALLY want a 535); I do not have any kind of semi-hollowbody guitar. Up to now, I've been a Fender/G&L single-coil guy. Pity me.

But also help me - I don't really get what's going on with the bridges on semi-hollows: tune-o-matic, Nashville, wraparound tailpieces, and so on. I'm not even sure I'm using the right words. What are the pros and cons?

The reason this comes to mind is a 535 that's for sale on TGP, where the guy's modded the instrument (Wolfetone HBs, new caps, bone nut etc) to include a wraparound tailpiece, which looks different from your basic 535. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=616515. What's up with that? The differences are all new to me, and it reminds me that I don't know anything about this.

I apologize if this is a really stupid question; but I'm interested to know if the HOC folks think anything in particular on this subject. Hope you'll indulge me.

Thanks,

John

Ah, a G&L guy... You have my pity. (don't look at the list below. Oops, you caught me!)

I'm not sure why someone would go with the wraparound tailpiece on the 535. Seems a bit strange, and I'm wondering what he did to make sure the intonation was right. Most of the debates go "tune-o-matic style vs roller bridge". Personally I find both to be acceptable. I have rollers in my 157 and my Guild.

I would be hesitant to go with a wraparound, unless I was sure it was properly setup. ( how did he fill the holes from the original bridge?)

Read that post a couple of times. The guitar was ordered with the wrap tailpiece. He swapped for the TonePros Locking TP. Should be good to go. I had thought about that system for a custom order. If set up correctly, there should be no issues. Just eliminates the bridge, as the wrap TP is the bridge. It's a vintage-ish thing. My PRS McRosie had that TP. And 'slates H150 is set up that way.

Upgrades are:

Plek Job-- done by Mike Lull in Seattle. Neck plays perfect. Low action,

notes are easy to bend.

Pot/Cap upgrade-- RS Guitarworks upgrade--superpots, PIO caps

Bone Nut -- Upgraded from the stock plastic one

Tailpiece -- I swapped the non-adjustable stock tailpiece for a Tonepros

locking tailpiece.

If you ever want to change pickups, it's very easy as there are leads extended from the pots for you to attach the pickup's leads to. NO MORE PULLING THE WIRING HARNESS!!!!

That last bit is cool, too. I've thought about doing that.

Ah! I had the same impression TalismanRich did - that the guy had replaced the standard bridge + tailpiece with a one-piece combo, which would have left holes to be filled in etc. But Kenny is right - I PM'd the guy, and he confirms that it was a custom order - a single wraparound tailpiece - and he upgraded it to the tonepros locking one.

Awesome!! So, you going for the guitar? Looks like a good deal for the $$'s. Plus it has Wolftone pups. (okay, no clue what they are like, but sounds good). And that '59 neck carve, I have that on my Millie DC NFH. It's a Marv Lamb design. Awesome neck. You just feel you have control of the guitar. Fat without going into baseball bat territory. ++1

I think you're right - it looks like a real good deal, considering what he's put into it. And I'm interested to hear what you say about that neck too - I didn't really know what a '59 neck carve was, but your description puts some meat on that bone. So what's holding me back? It's that I'm silly and superficial: I don't really dig the walnut-like finish (I think it's a custom color; too dark for burnt amber); it looks like a piece of drawing-room furniture to me. There! I said it! I am totally shallow! On the other hand, if you're going to spend a fair chunk of change on a guitar that you can't even play first - you might as well think it's beautiful. I wish I didn't think that, though, because I'll bet it's a great instrument, especially for the money.

I think you're right - it looks like a real good deal, considering what he's put into it. And I'm interested to hear what you say about that neck too - I didn't really know what a '59 neck carve was, but your description puts some meat on that bone. So what's holding me back? It's that I'm silly and superficial: I don't really dig the walnut-like finish (I think it's a custom color; too dark for burnt amber); it looks like a piece of drawing-room furniture to me. There! I said it! I am totally shallow! On the other hand, if you're going to spend a fair chunk of change on a guitar that you can't even play first - you might as well think it's beautiful. I wish I didn't think that, though, because I'll bet it's a great instrument, especially for the money.

Dude, you sound like a Washington DC politian! Where are the lobbyists when you need them?! Grab that axe before he sells it to...me...or someone like me...or a friend of mine...yours...whatever. :huh:

No offense, I'm originally from DC.

Dude! Them's fightin' words. No politician or lobbyist here. A shallow pathetic indecisive vacillating hand-wringer, maybe. But politician? How dare you?? :huh:

And I actually hope somebody buys it soon, to put me out of my misery.

Dude! Them's fightin' words. No politician or lobbyist here. A shallow pathetic indecisive vacillating hand-wringer, maybe. But politician? How dare you?? ;)

And I actually hope somebody buys it soon, to put me out of my misery.

You're actually in DC? How about that. I have friends that are politicians. .......... :huh:

BTW, totally understand your take on the guitar. If it's a color you can't live with, you'll never bond with the guitar. I had a really nice ALSB 535 for sale until this weekend. Decided I'd miss it and pulled it back. Then again, I wanted considerably more moola for mine than that walnut looking one. Just saying. But keep looking. There are some great bargains on 535s to be had. Probably the most traded guitar around here.

Thanks for the encouragement Kenny. Yes, I am actually in DC, and I was just goofing around with Gitfiddler - I've got nothing against political folks. Tough job.

I saw that 535 of yours - beautiful, and tempting. Does NOT look like drawing room furniture! A little rich for my blood at the moment, but gorgeous. Don't blame you for yanking it back. It's funny, but for some reason, I find myself looking for a 535 with a relatively plain finish, with less flame rather than more, etc. It may be a contradiction. My favorite guitar right now is my telecaster - butterscotch blackguard, nothing fancy. So that's my taste at the moment, but I could change tomorrow! Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

John

Archived