Heritage Owners Club

Graphic EQ's

JeffB

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this.

Anyone use a graphic eq as part of their set up? Either in front or in the fx loop of the amp?

Ive always been suprised by the results Ive gotten using one.

Tonight I used one to make three guitars with different p/ups and different scales and body types and woods sound and react very similar.

It wasnt what I started out trying to achieve. I was trying to get my mesa Lone Star to sound more Marshall or my idea of it at least. Not sure I succeeded as I got side tracked by trying to get the three guitars to sound the same.

That I did acheive by making subtle adjustments of eq and gain.

I had the graphic before the amp instead of in the loop where I normally have it.

I think I just saved myself a $3600.00 guitar purchase. :D

Im going to buy a 10 band graphic so I can stick one in the loop as well as one in the front.

Fun anyway.

I think an EQ pedal is useful in a lot of situations as long as you don't crank it too much, then they get noisy..i try to use it for subtle tweaks of my tone..My 2 cents

I have an ART dual-tube EQ (parametric) which is a really important part of my bass rig, or at least it was when I was gigging as a bass player. Very useful for tailoring bass sound to the quirks of room acoustics. (Now that I just double for some tunes I usually run through the other guy's stuff. Getting too old to load out two rigs to a gig.)

Never used a graphic for guitar ...as Tully suggested, that could undermine my primary excuse for owning a bunch of guitars.

Reading a thread on mods to a fender concert on tgp made me realise how useful the eq pedal was. Until I found that thread I had only used eq pedal as a solo boost to fatten up the sound of my strat.

A lot of the guys in an attempt to explain the sonic effects of the mods they had done got me thinking about how a graphic or parametric eq might do a similar job. So I started to experiment and found I could achieve similar results as their valve swaps and resistor placements. That is if I understood their written descriptions of tone correctly.

For all of it though, a simple speaker swap fixed most of what I disliked about that amp.

But I think Ive always been eq'ing the amp and tonight was the first time I really spent any time eq'ing guitars if that makes any sense. Kind of had a palm slap to the forehead kind of moment. Ive swapped out lots of p/ups over the last year with varying degrees of success. Wouldve been just as happy to tinker with sliders on an eq as taking guitars apart time and time again :D

Reading a thread on mods to a fender concert on tgp made me realise how useful the eq pedal was. Until I found that thread I had only used eq pedal as a solo boost to fatten up the sound of my strat.

A lot of the guys in an attempt to explain the sonic effects of the mods they had done got me thinking about how a graphic or parametric eq might do a similar job. So I started to experiment and found I could achieve similar results as their valve swaps and resistor placements. That is if I understood their written descriptions of tone correctly.

For all of it though, a simple speaker swap fixed most of what I disliked about that amp.

But I think Ive always been eq'ing the amp and tonight was the first time I really spent any time eq'ing guitars if that makes any sense. Kind of had a palm slap to the forehead kind of moment. Ive swapped out lots of p/ups over the last year with varying degrees of success. Wouldve been just as happy to tinker with sliders on an eq as taking guitars apart time and time again :D

that's funny!! I never thought about it that way! Thanks for that..:D

Never used a graphic for guitar ...as Tully suggested, that could undermine my primary excuse for owning a bunch of guitars.

Good point. Maybe this thread should be deleted and never mentioned again. Thanks for putting it into perspective. :D

Mind you my testing techniques could be flawed and I could just be swept up in the moment. I am at the crash part of the cycle after all.

Like others here, I started using an EQ pedal when I played bass. So my Boss Bass EQ pedal still hangs out in my gig bag and only gets called to duty to supplement either a guitar amp or bass rig. The cool thing about the Bass EQ pedal is that it has a lower frequency sweep that is great for guitars too. Finally, little amps often need to be 'boosted' to overcome their small cabinet limitations. That makes these sweet sounding amps even sweeter at any volume!

Good point. Maybe this thread should be deleted and never mentioned again. Thanks for putting it into perspective. :D

Mind you my testing techniques could be flawed and I could just be swept up in the moment. I am at the crash part of the cycle after all.

A EQ pedal as a remedy for GAS? Perish the thought!

RC Booster - the best EQ pedal I've ever used. Great for matching different guitars to the same amp or multiple guitars to many amps. You can use it to cut or boost the bass and treble and then boost or cut the output level to the amp. If you like you can also add some dirt to the output to the amp or next pedal in the chain.

Prospect with Seth Lovers to the RC then to a Tim and into a Blues Jnr - awesome singing tone at very low volumes.

rc_new.jpg

Every guitar player should have one.

RC Booster - the best EQ pedal I've ever used. Great for matching different guitars to the same amp or multiple guitars to many amps. You can use it to cut or boost the bass and treble and then boost or cut the output level to the amp. If you like you can also add some dirt to the output to the amp or next pedal in the chain.

Prospect with Seth Lovers to the RC then to a Tim and into a Blues Jnr - awesome singing tone at very low volumes.

rc_new.jpg

Every guitar player should have one.

That looks cool, but what is a Tim?

I have an MXR M-108 ten band GEQ pedal that I like a lot, it's a very versatile, quiet, & rugid unit.

I ordered one today. Thanks.

I like the input gain and output level idea.

Even if it doesnt make it on to the electric guitar pedal board it might be useful for the acoustic guitar which is probably what I play more often anyway.

A Paul Cochrane Tim pedal ..

tim-pedal.jpg

It sounds great on its own but also loves other pedals too ;)

;)

reviews at Harmony Central : http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...chrane/Tim/10/1

One of the very few od pedals that works with chords, even dim 7th chords, and still sounds musical.

Cool..Thanks..I may have to investigate this Tim pedal

I ordered one today. Thanks.

I like the input gain and output level idea.

Even if it doesnt make it on to the electric guitar pedal board it might be useful for the acoustic guitar which is probably what I play more often anyway.

I've used it for both electric & acoustic as well as in front of the amp & in the loop in both situations and it worked very well in all situations, as I said earlier it's a very versatile, quiet, & rugged unit. I think you'll like it.

Archived