Heritage Owners Club

I've got H150 Fever...

tbonesullivan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been drooling over a used H150 at Wolfe guitars all day. How do I prevent myself from buying it?

http://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-h150cm-...hree-tone-burst

Well, lets see. It's a bit of a plain top, ala some '50s LPs. It's got a bit of a "black burst" going on which sort of excentuates the top. Chrome hardware, traps, nice single ply binding. Dude!! go for it. ........... ooops, sorry. -_-

I believe I've played that exact guitar--it is a nice one.

You may be able to get a better price on it, though, especially since it's got a few dings on it.

yeah... 10 lbs.. that's a lotta weight. Nice and sold, but man that might kill my left shoulder. Also, the hamer is still available, and the 59'burst color on it is to die for, and it also has SD 59s on it. I think I may have been saved. The hamer is $775 shipped.. .a lot less than the H150. and it's a double cut.

Not trying to be a "stick in the mud" here but.... I had a Hamer just like that one in amber and while it was a well built and good playing guitar... the tone never did it for me. I swapped in about four different sets of pickups and it just never sounded the way I wanted it to. I've had the same expierence with PRS guitars. I truly believe it the poly vs. nitro factor for me. As crazy as it sounds, I think I hear the difference. The nitro just lets the wood "breathe" and it just has a different sound.

Eh.. probably more of the "giant hunk of wood" factor than the finish will ever be. Nitro is impermeable, like polyurethane and polyester. They used it on cars back in the days. Also it's a fairly thick layer on the guitar. And actually, I believe that Hamer uses a mixture of different things, including nitro, in the finish on their guitars.

And that besides, I have owned several single cut LP style guitars in my life, and ended up hating them all. I just can't get around having such poor upper neck access. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for an H-170. has the weight, but doesn't have that big block in the way of the upper frets. Unfortunately they seem to be less popular than the H-150, so are harder to come by in colors I like.

See, I started out playing guitar like 15 years ago or more, and never really learned to play well. But, my first guitar was a Gibson SG special with P-90s and a vibrola that I borrowed from a family friend. My first REAL guitar that I bought was an Epiphone sheraton. The LP-style single cuts just don't work for me. If that had been a 170 up on Wolfe, I wouldn't have even bothered to make the thread, it would already be on it's way.

So far no one has give you a reason not to buy it!
True, but I just bought my guitar for this month about 30 minutes ago, having purchased that sweet hamer. I just wish that H170 that I was tracking down hadn't fallen through (guy decided to keep it). Then i could have had TWO guitars for the price of that H150 up on wolfe.

Guess you were in a guitar buying mood. Have fun with the Hamer. Looks great. Good guitar.
I was. There was a guy up in Connecticut with a cherryburst H-170 for $850 in great shape. Dot inlays no binding uncovered pickups, so it wasn't dressed up as much. But, last night he emailed me back saying he'd decided to keep it. So, I went back to the Hamer. I already have a Hamer Special from '93 with P-90s, which I love, so hopefully I'll love this too.

Call me an old Fogey..But I'm a sucker for a single cut anything!! Especially a H-137 with those dog ear P-90s..My 2 cents..It reminds me of my old LP Special!!

heh. It's nothing to do with old or young. Gibson has made double cuts almost as long as they have made single cuts. It's just a preference thing. I have said for years (whenever I'm not blinded by beautiful H150s) that the only les paul style guitar I'd ever get was a double cut.

I've been drooling over a used H150 at Wolfe guitars all day. How do I prevent myself from buying it?

Very nice Tri-burst...

To answer your question...

1. Spend your money on something else!!

2. Let the Wife in on your plans...

3. Tell yourself the guitar is NOT PERFECT!! ps. has an unbound headstock, etc...

4. Picture the guitar with a headstock broken off in shipping.

5. Look into your childrens sad, cold eyes and tell them they will not be going to college( a real stretch here)

I am also an enabler... so go ahead, with all this suffering you need some more joy in your life!!

Now if your name was Brent.. we would have to call the next thread. HOW DO I KEEP MYSELF FROM SELLING THIS GUITAR!!!

Eh.. probably more of the "giant hunk of wood" factor than the finish will ever be. Nitro is impermeable, like polyurethane and polyester. They used it on cars back in the days. Also it's a fairly thick layer on the guitar. And actually, I believe that Hamer uses a mixture of different things, including nitro, in the finish on their guitars.

Actually, I've played a few PRS singlecuts and don't bond with them either, so it's not the hunk of missing wood. I have a Firebird V which is in effect a "double cut" that sounds great. I believe the paint used on cars in the 50's and 60's was acrylic laquer.

In any case, good luck with the new Hamer. They make some real nice guitars.

Archived