Heritage Owners Club

P-90 to mini HB conversion, anyone done it?

tbonesullivan

So, one thing I have always wanted in my collection is a mini-hb equipped guitar. However, they are slim pickings for them, and you rarely see them except for firebird clones and similar guitars. But, I remember hearing that with the mounting ring style used on the LP deluxe models, they fit into the same size route. and, there are a lot more P-90 equipped guitars on the market than there are mini-hb guitars.

So, has anyone replaced their P-90s with mini hbs or vicea versa?

Hi T Bone.

I have 2 electric guitars with mini humbukers.Both are U.S.made Epiphones,made at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo,now the Heritage unit. I have a 'Sorrento' model,which is a thin archtop,and a 'Wilshire' model,which is a Stratty type solid.With the mini humbuckers I have found there is less bass through your amp,so if you're jazzing,turn up the bass frequency a little.If you're rockin',they are not quiet as distinctive as,say a Fender single coil.There is also slightly more treble than a standard humbucker.However,they do sound great,and slightly different,and if it's good enough for Johnny Smith ! !

post-1702-1268306482_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1268306834_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1268306869_thumb.jpg

Hi Again,T.Bone.

Just been in the vault & brought out the 1964 Epi Wilshire,with Mini Humbuckers.I also fitted a 'Lestrem' to this,by Dusenberg of Germany. I don't know if you can get these in the states,but the work like a Bigsby,but don't mark the guitar in any way.You just attach them to the tailpiece studs,and string up.It will fit H150's,535's,anything with studs.

Peter Alton Green ( U.K.)

post-1702-1268319879_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1268319899_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1268319920_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1268319937_thumb.jpg

Hi T Bone.

I have 2 electric guitars with mini humbukers.Both are U.S.made Epiphones,made at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo,now the Heritage unit. I have a 'Sorrento' model,which is a thin archtop,and a 'Wilshire' model,which is a Stratty type solid.With the mini humbuckers I have found there is less bass through your amp,so if you're jazzing,turn up the bass frequency a little.If you're rockin',they are not quiet as distinctive as,say a Fender single coil.There is also slightly more treble than a standard humbucker.However,they do sound great,and slightly different,and if it's good enough for Johnny Smith ! !

Wow, I really like that Epi Sorrento. I bet it really sings through the right tube amp.

I almost picked up an Epi Elitist Sheraton, but unfortunately I got outbid. That was before I got my H-535. At the present swapping them out is just a thought. I honestly have no idea whether I'd even like mini-hbs. I think I better wait until I experience them first hand. I just put my only p-90 guitar up on local craigslist to see if I can get any bites. It's a great guitar but that neck is just too flat and thin.

Hi Again,T.Bone.

Just been in the vault & brought out the 1964 Epi Wilshire....

Peter, I've been following your posts, but I've not taken the opportunity to say hello, and welcome. Quite a vitae you have! Your Wilshire has ferreted me out though. Love those, and you do have a nice one! Thanks for posting those pics.

Rob

Hi T Bone.

Please note that I did not photogrpah this guitar or drop the battery out of the camera on to the front causing zillions of £'s worth of damage...... Thank you ....!

Hi Again,T.Bone.

Just been in the vault & brought out the 1964 Epi Wilshire,with Mini Humbuckers.I also fitted a 'Lestrem' to this,by Dusenberg of Germany. I don't know if you can get these in the states,but the work like a Bigsby,but don't mark the guitar in any way.You just attach them to the tailpiece studs,and string up.It will fit H150's,535's,anything with studs.

Peter Alton Green ( U.K.)

the damage on the front of this guitar was not caused by me taking pictures and dropping the camera battery onto the front of it.....!!

Peter, I've been following your posts, but I've not taken the opportunity to say hello, and welcome. Quite a vitae you have! Your Wilshire has ferreted me out though. Love those, and you do have a nice one! Thanks for posting those pics.

Rob

Those guitars are as tasty as they look, I've played 'em!

John, Go lie down in a darkened room for an hour.....

It didn't work.....my head is still spinning!!!!!

P-90s RULE and are TONE!!!!!

But hey, I understand the trying something new thing.... I just never did/needed/want to change my p-90s!!!! :D

So, one thing I have always wanted in my collection is a mini-hb equipped guitar. However, they are slim pickings for them, and you rarely see them except for firebird clones and similar guitars. But, I remember hearing that with the mounting ring style used on the LP deluxe models, they fit into the same size route. and, there are a lot more P-90 equipped guitars on the market than there are mini-hb guitars.

So, has anyone replaced their P-90s with mini hbs or vicea versa?

i haven't, but i know someone who has - Jim Deurloo :D

Archived