Heritage Owners Club

I almost bought...

How do you like your Blues Jr? I've got one that I got on EBAY. Its a 2003 with Jensen special design speakers (made in Italy version) I've done most of Bill M's mods...made a huge difference tone wise but I have these weird what I think are oscillation problems..Hit a heavy sustained lower string bass note and towards the end of the note there is kind of a buzzy sound. I'm replacing all the filter caps soon, they can cause this from what I've read. Doing a xformer upgrade and 3 way power switch with standby position as well. May replace speaker down the road, lots of options there.

I've also got a 70's Twin Reverb w 120JBLs loud and heavy but some great head room for Jazzy stuff. I attempted a refurb (it was dead) and Black Face conversion about a year ago came out pretty well but has a few minor issues. I have no time for tinkering with this one...took me forever to attempt to learn all the stuff off the net.

Anyone recommend a decent amp tech in NJ? I'm in central NJ, Ocean County.

Wow! You have got me thinking about buying an amp again - I have only got Blues Junior, Fender Frontman G15 and a Roland Keyboard amp (KC series). But I want something diffrent. Probably best to invest in an amp after my next guitar purchase.

How do you like your Blues Jr? I've got one that I got on EBAY. Its a 2003 with Jensen special design speakers (made in Italy version) I've done most of Bill M's mods...made a huge difference tone wise but I have these weird what I think are oscillation problems..Hit a heavy sustained lower string bass note and towards the end of the note there is kind of a buzzy sound. I'm replacing all the filter caps soon, they can cause this from what I've read. Doing a xformer upgrade and 3 way power switch with standby position as well. May replace speaker down the road, lots of options there.

I've also got a 70's Twin Reverb w 120JBLs loud and heavy but some great head room for Jazzy stuff. I attempted a refurb (it was dead) and Black Face conversion about a year ago came out pretty well but has a few minor issues. I have no time for tinkering with this one...took me forever to attempt to learn all the stuff off the net.

Anyone recommend a decent amp tech in NJ? I'm in central NJ, Ocean County.

Check out this page : http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=115

Mine is a tweed model with Jensen speaker, completely stock. I had a similar problem where low notes sounded fizzy. How or why it started doing that I don't know, I followed the instructions and it fixed the problem.

Check out this page : http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=115

Mine is a tweed model with Jensen speaker, completely stock. I had a similar problem where low notes sounded fizzy. How or why it started doing that I don't know, I followed the instructions and it fixed the problem.

Thanks Southpaw, I also have a tweed with the Jensen (special design) speaker. I've spent quite a bit of time on Bill's site and done quite a few of his mods (they add a lot to the amp). I've played around with the ribbon cable positions (was that the fix you found?) but I still have a buzziness on long sustained low notes at upper volumes. I'm hoping the new filter caps fix it, either way, they are going on 8 years old so it can't hurt. Bill also mentions finding problems with the Illinois 22uf filter caps on quite a few of the Blues juniors. He is in NJ about one hour from me, I may just leave it with him if I have no luck. I do hear his backlog is huge.

Down the road I will try to find a new reasonably priced small tube amp I won't have to tinker with so much. When the time comes I'll start a new thread here because I haven't a clue as to whats out there. I played electric mainly back 30 years or so then took it up again about 3 years ago.

Thanks Southpaw, I also have a tweed with the Jensen (special design) speaker. I've spent quite a bit of time on Bill's site and done quite a few of his mods (they add a lot to the amp). I've played around with the ribbon cable positions (was that the fix you found?) but I still have a buzziness on long sustained low notes at upper volumes. I'm hoping the new filter caps fix it, either way, they are going on 8 years old so it can't hurt. Bill also mentions finding problems with the Illinois 22uf filter caps on quite a few of the Blues juniors. He is in NJ about one hour from me, I may just leave it with him if I have no luck. I do hear his backlog is huge.

Down the road I will try to find a new reasonably priced small tube amp I won't have to tinker with so much. When the time comes I'll start a new thread here because I haven't a clue as to whats out there. I played electric mainly back 30 years or so then took it up again about 3 years ago.

Yes it was the ribbon cable fix that did it for me, no fizz or odd noises in the low notes with a clean sound now. I'd like to get a BillM modded Junior but they're a bit like hens teeth over here.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I have you beat:

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia - I actually have two: one stays at church, the other stays home.

Vox AC15H1TV - I just had Don Butler replaces the junk Chinese transformers with Mercury Magnetics, and go through the amp. Awesome!

Reinhardt 18 - best Marshall 18 watt clone being made. Beautiful amp.

'69 Marshall 50 head - what can I say. This is the amp I wish I had as a kid. My tone would have been sooooo muuuuuch beeeeeeeeeeeeter!!!

'69 fender Pro reverb - It's vintage Fender, need I say more?

'66 Fender Super Reverb - This and the Twin Reverb are the king of clean.

Xits X10 - On oder. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

i saw a couple of Dr Z's in a music store in Marietta Oh..(It's where I found my H-140) But when I looked at the price tag, I didn't even turn em on..Too Rich for my blood..I asked the owner if he has sold any, and he said "A couple"..I'm sure they are great amps, but for under $600, I am seriously in love with my Peavey Classic 30..My 2 cents.. :D

"Dirtier Dirties" -- I like it!

Ha..yeah ... Dirtier Dirties does sound like it would rock.

although this doesn't qualify for that ..I almost bought a Silverface Champ that was on CL at a bargain... but I already have a SF Vibro Champ, so it doesn't make sense... (also too many amps already)

Archived